Ampyra Vs Compounded 4-AP?

Ampyra is a potassium channel blocker that is shown to improve visual function, motor skills and relieve fatigue in MS patients.
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Ampyra Vs Compounded 4-AP?

Post by CureOrBust »

Has anyone tried both? and therefore could give their opinion on the differences? /:)

I know for me I think I paid $65 for 100 10mg tablets of compounded 4-AP a few years ago, and I think the monthly cost of Ampyra here in Australia is somewhere in the $2000 ball park. :-O
seeva
Family Elder

Re: Ampyra Vs Compounded 4-AP?

Post by seeva »

Hi friend cureobust 2 weeks back my neuro. had meeting with biogen aust. rep and agreed price for AMPYRA was #$560.00/100capsules But i am taking compounded4-AP now i paid $75/100 . my walking is not good since i take the new drug.My neuro dose not like LDN. so he asked me to stop ldn After one week i am back to LDNand i am better now.may be i will try ampyra soon. same stories for my few m.s friends.I will keep posting our i improvements.
regards
seeva :roll:
Lainie
Family Member

Post by Lainie »

I have taken both, and I have to say that Ampyra has worked far, far better. My neurologist has told me that the reason is that the Ampyra dissolves more slowly and is designed to stay in your bloodstream longer. I walk better with Ampyra and like it a lot more.
maynaka
Family Elder

Post by maynaka »

My neuro suggested 4-AP back in 2005, I have been on it ever since. I tried Ampyra when it first came out and switched back to the 4-AP within a week.

I do take a stronger dose (15mg.). I've been on that strength for about five years.

Although my insurance would cover it, Ampyra was willing to lower my co-pay to what I pay for the 4-AP ($32 for 60 capsules).

M
Tracker
Family Member

Post by Tracker »

4-AP is Exactly the same active ingredient as Ampyra. I have my 4-AP made up in 5mg capsules, as I take it 4hourly, 4-6 times per day. More than 5mg in one dose gives me an unpleasant reaction, so this suits me well.
I always have it compounded as SR (sustained release)
I pay AUD$68 for 100 capsules, as opposed to $12,750 p.a. for 20mg/day Ampyra.
Algis
Family Elder

Post by Algis »

I have read (here somewhere) that 4-AP-3-MOH is an improved version (?)

Anyone who could confirm/infirm that by experience?

*** Please read "4-AP-3-MeOH" - Me stands for Methanol. ***
Algis
Family Elder

Post by Algis »

Tracker
Family Member

Post by Tracker »

I took 4-AP-3-MeOH for approx a year, and had pretty similar results to the 4-AP, But it was a Much more pleasant to take. I felt very well on it.
Unfortuately, the compunder I was getting it from at the time, charged me way too much to have it formulated, & that is why I switched back to 4-AP.
The highest dose I ever took of the 4-AP-3-MeOH was 6mg every 4 hours x 4 times daily. I should have tried a higher dose to see if I had a better result, but the cost prohibited it at the time.
Now days, I'm only interested in venoplasty for CCSVI, which I have had 3 times and is the Best remedy of all for MS. IMHO
UWE59
Family Member

Post by UWE59 »

Algis wrote:I have read (here somewhere) that 4-AP-3-MOH is an improved version (?)

Anyone who could confirm/infirm that by experience?

*** Please read "4-AP-3-MeOH" - Me stands for Methanol. ***
Do you read more about 4-AP-3-MeOH up to now?
It should be 10 times more powerful than 4-AP.

Regards
Uwe
Kind regards UWE
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Post by CureOrBust »

UWE59 wrote:Do you read more about 4-AP-3-MeOH up to now?
By 10x "more powerful", they only appear to mean that the dose is one tenth that of 4-AP. However, its not like anyone is choking on the amount of powder to consume of 4-AP. So, in my eyes, weather you take 20mg or 2mg is irrelevant, its the effectiveness that would really matter.
UWE59
Family Member

Post by UWE59 »

CureOrBust wrote:
UWE59 wrote:Do you read more about 4-AP-3-MeOH up to now?
By 10x "more powerful", they only appear to mean that the dose is one tenth that of 4-AP. However, its not like anyone is choking on the amount of powder to consume of 4-AP. So, in my eyes, weather you take 20mg or 2mg is irrelevant, its the effectiveness that would really matter.
Thanks for your reply.
You have made own experiance with 4-AP-3-MeOH since 2012?
I tried to get contact with Biogen in this case, but no answer.
Kind regards UWE

Return to “Ampyra (Dalfampridine)”