Need Ampyra Advice

Ampyra is a potassium channel blocker that is shown to improve visual function, motor skills and relieve fatigue in MS patients.
Loriyas
Family Elder

Need Ampyra Advice

Post by Loriyas »

I am torn. My left leg is weaker than my right and always have been. I have been working out faithfully and it remains the same. Although both legs are getting stronger, the left will never catch up to the right. This weakness causes a discernible limp and left legs tires more quickly. Last year my neuro gave me a prescription for Ampyra and it was my choice as to whether I wanted to start or not. He said I would know in a couple of weeks if it helps or not. I never started it. I have read from several patients that they believed that Ampyra caused worsening of their walking so I was too afraid to give it a try. Well, I am still debating. I don't think my walking is any worse than last year. But sometimes I think I should give it a try. I have 2 bottles of Ampyra that I received from the manufacturer last year so I have plenty to give it a trial. But I certainly don't want to worsen things! Advice and comments are welcome!!
DougL
Family Elder

Re: Need Ampyra Advice

Post by DougL »

my wife did the free one month trial. did not notice any positive affect during the month.

after stopping, her walking got a bit worse. maybe it was the normal ups and downs of MS or maybe it was the Ampyra.

if you are able to remain the same using diet and exercise, i think you should stick with that for now. just my opinion.

(BTW - make sure the Ampyra is still good. not sure if a year is too long or not. we were told 6 months is okay)
Loriyas
Family Elder

Post by Loriyas »

Thanks Doug. You just reaffirmed what I was thinking.
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Post by CureOrBust »

4-AP is not stable, and all the packaging of Ampyra confirms this to be the case. A 1 year old case is not what I would base any decision on anyway.