Modified ampyra dosage??

Ampyra is a potassium channel blocker that is shown to improve visual function, motor skills and relieve fatigue in MS patients.
Grumpster
Family Elder

Modified ampyra dosage??

Post by Grumpster »

Has anyone done any modifications to the dosage/frequency for this drug? I had what seemed to be substantial benefit from this drug within 3 days or so of starting it, but it would only last a few hours each day and then back to baseline. This happened 3 days in a row and then there seemed to be no benefit at all after that. It seems to me that the dose may just be too low or too infrequent (10mg / 2x per day).

I know seizures are a big concern. It just seemed like I may be able to dust off the snowboard or at least walk straight when I started feeling better balance, walking, etc... that all went poof and I am grasping at straws now. I plan to discuss with my neuro, but do not expect much from that.

Comments welcomed
Moragh
Getting to Know You...

Re: Modified ampyra dosage??

Post by Moragh »

Hi
I have modified the frequency. 3x per day every 5 hours works for me. My neurologist knows I do this. I have had no issues.
Grumpster
Family Elder

Post by Grumpster »

Do you feel this gives you added benefit? I assume so. Please confirm.

Thanks
Moragh
Getting to Know You...

Post by Moragh »

I definitely feel a benefit

started 2x a day. 1st one at 5am getting up for work. Around 11am I was dragging
my arse around wishing for a nap - no energy. Started taking another dose around 1pm this enabled me to get through the rest of the work day. At 8pm I was usually exhausted and in bed. I stuck with this routine for a while. When my son married it was a busy day as you can imagine. At around 8pm I really started to dwindle and decided to take another dose. It perked me right up. Went to bed at 3am. It took me a while to figure it out but every 5 hours works for me. Its not that it miraculously makes me walk better but it for sure gives me more energy/stamina and a little pep in my step. I don't work anymore however continue with 3x a day. I take it on an empty stomach -this can make me a little jittery - I just eat something light and I'm fine.
Grumpster
Family Elder

Post by Grumpster »

Thanks Moragh,

I think I may need to try something like that after discussing with my neuro. Otherwise I may just stop taking it since I do not seem to get much benefit from the current dosage/frequency.

Return to “Ampyra (Dalfampridine)”