Doing well after antibiotic treatment

A forum for the discussion of antibiotics as a potential therapy for MS

Doing well after antibiotic treatment

Postby agatha » Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:32 pm

Hello there
Haven't posted in a while - I've been getting on with my life! Just wanted to give an update of the results of my antibiotic treatment. I did the Wheldon protocol (thank you so much Dr Wheldon adn Sarah!) and I am now been off the treatment for about a year. My previous increasingly aggressive symptoms of RRMS (which became much worse on the Swank diet) melted away within the first few months on the medication and have not returned. All my symptoms (leg weakness, leg tingling, arm tingling, loss of motor control in fingers, slurring speech, l'hermitte's sign, balance problems, urinary problems, terrible cognitive fatigue and brain fog, light sensitivity, hyper reflexia) have either disappeared or softened considerably. They still flare up a little if get very tired or have an infection but nothing new for ages. Before the treatment I was getting new symptoms every few weeks.

Near the end of the treatment I changed my diet to a paleolithic type diet ( actually very similar to what Terry Wahls has used with good effect) and this has brought further increases in energy and general health. I wouldn't say I feel entirely cured - I still get quite tired and I think if I really pushed myself I might have problems - but my MS has returned to being pretty quiescent and causes very little trouble. I am now looking to tweak the diet using anti inflammatory herbs and spices and I'm looking into balancing my hormones levels (have just discovered my DHEA is low). Interestingly, the chronic diarrhoea I suffered for several years before the abx has resolved, though i still take probiotics.

So, all in all a very pleasing response to treatment. Well worth the money and effort.

Agatha
agatha
Family Member

Advertisement

Re: Doing well after antibiotic treatment

Postby MacKintosh » Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:24 pm

You just gave me the biggest smile...

Congratulations! Isn't it cool that we have beaten the so-called 'incurable' disease?!
The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems. Mohandas Gandhi
MacKintosh
Family Elder

Postby SarahLonglands » Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:17 am

Agatha, this is wonderful news and your thinking is very realistic.

Sarah
An Itinerary in Light and Shadow Completed Dr Charles Stratton / Dr David Wheldon abx regime for aggressive secondary progressive MS in June 2007, after four years. Still improving with no relapses since starting. Can't run but can paint all day.
SarahLonglands
Family Elder

Postby hopeforA » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:22 am

agatha wrote:I wouldn't say I feel entirely cured - I still get quite tired and I think if I really pushed myself I might have problems - but my MS has returned to being pretty quiescent and causes very little trouble. I am now looking to tweak the diet using anti inflammatory herbs and spices and I'm looking into balancing my hormones levels (have just discovered my DHEA is low). Interestingly, the chronic diarrhoea I suffered for several years before the abx has resolved, though i still take probiotics.

So, all in all a very pleasing response to treatment. Well worth the money and effort.

Agatha

Thanks for posting. It always feels good to hear from someone making progress. Hope you continue to get better.
Yes, I agree, abx are important but other areas such as diet, immunomodulation etc. can also offer great help.

For what it's worth, there's a couple of herbs that I have found very effective. One is liposomal Curcumin but unfortunately I seem to have an allergy to it so after a while it gives me an itchy rash and can't take anymore. The other one is Resveratrol. I found it very effective as an anti-inflammatory and also at raising my energy levels like no other. It seems to exert antiinflammatory, neuroprotective, antiviral etc. effects http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resveratrol

If you ever find that your improvements kind of plateau on abx, I suggest you look into biofilm-reducing supplements. They are much more widely discussed on other forums. I found they make abx work more effectively. I personally think this is an aspect of chronic infections much overlooked in spite of clear scientific evidence that it plays a major role in helping pathogens hide from both from the immune system and antibiotics.
hopeforA

Postby agatha » Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:16 pm

Thanks for your replies - it is wonderful to be feeling so much better. The anti inflammmatory spices thing is interesting. Most herbs and spices inhibit inflammatory pathways which are known to be involved in MS (why can't the researchers look into this rather than inventing new chemicals which have toxic side effects?). The question is whether to take concentrated spice extracts of curcumin for example, or whether to just use culinary herbs and spices copiously. At the moment I am opting for the latter course as I feel there are less likely to be unintended consequences (I'm sure you've seen the betacarotene and smokers study - betacarotene turned out to be harmful for smokers, though carrots are protective) if we ingest the compounds as part of foods which have been used for centuries in traditionally healthy civilisations (Asia, India). Also, I'm guessing there is probably a synergy if we use many compounds rather than taking large doses of just one or two. So my plan is to add generous quantities of at least two or three herbs or spices to each meal, using a large variety. I also spice my tea as the Indians do. Today, I made a fermented lime pickle recipe using quantities of turmeric, black pepper, ginger and other spices. This will be both probiotic and anti inflammatory. Yum! The local ethnic foods shop is going to be seeing more of me in the next few months. This way of eating is of course is entirely normal in large parts of the world - but English cuisine is peculiarly deficient in taste! I wonder if anyone has looked into the protective effects of herbs/spices in prevention of MS?
agatha
Family Member

Return to Antibiotics