The Dangers of Long-term Antibiotic Use

A forum for the discussion of antibiotics as a potential therapy for MS
SarahLonglands
Family Elder

The Dangers of Long-term Antibiotic Use

Post by SarahLonglands »

I finished antibioticsi in 2007, after taking them for four years. Last weekend I started taking roxithromycin again, a short course for an infected forefinger which had become so swollen that it was interfering with my work. Funnily enough, the treatment worked and my right forefinger is now as slim as my left and the wound caused by a splinter has healed. and is busy fitting up my new state of the art printer. You read about how long term antibiotics are such a bad thing, but I thought I should post this to maybe put peoples’ minds at rest and maybe, just maybe make timorous GPs think twice when they refuse to treat chronically ill people with the combined antibiotic protocol.

To my mind it isn’t the length of treatment that is wrong but whether the right treatment is given in the first place. Also one of the worst misuses of antibiotics is giving them willy-nilly to farm animals to make them grow faster and produce more meat. This means that anyone eating non organic meat is liable to also be eating goodness knows what antibiotic as well: maybe when they need to take an antibiotic it won't work because of silent resistance..........Sarah
An Itinerary in Light and Shadow Completed Dr Charles Stratton / Dr David Wheldon abx regime for aggressive secondary progressive MS in June 2007, after four years. Still improving with no relapses since starting. Can't run but can paint all day.
Liberation
Family Elder

Re: The Dangers of Long-term Antibiotic Use

Post by Liberation »

Last edited by Liberation on Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
SarahLonglands
Family Elder

Re: The Dangers of Long-term Antibiotic Use

Post by SarahLonglands »

Lib, most doctors know very little about microbiology: they do their four years basic training,as do they all, then they decide which is to be their specialty: most pick general medicine, some neurology, some haematology, some like livers, some prefer hearts and so on.

General practitioners get asked for antibiotics for all sorts of things and are told in their updates that taking antibiotics long term is not a good idea, but most generalists don't even advise you to take probiotics after the short course.

After four years of antibiotics and probiotics my bowel is completely undamaged: what more can I say?

Sarah
An Itinerary in Light and Shadow Completed Dr Charles Stratton / Dr David Wheldon abx regime for aggressive secondary progressive MS in June 2007, after four years. Still improving with no relapses since starting. Can't run but can paint all day.