Can abx help a long term MSer?

A forum for the discussion of antibiotics as a potential therapy for MS
LeenieSD

Can abx help a long term MSer?

Post by LeenieSD »

Hi all,

I was diagnosed 17+ yrs ago, never took DMD's, and took LDN for a couple of years but quit taking in 2012 (didn't feel it helped). In good shape for 1st 10 yrs but currently lots of numbness in my body (toes to chest), balance and bladder issues, and use a walker for last 4+ yrs. MRI 2 yrs ago showed lots of lesions in brain and spine and atrophy in my spine.

I believe in the infection theory. I tested negative for CPN via Quest Diagnostics blood test and negative for Lyme (Igenex), positive for Candida. Should I take NAC to see if I react or just start taking abx (thinking of the Wheldon protocol)? I'm sugar, gluten, and dairy free.

I guess I'm wondering if I can get improvement given the length of time I've had MS? I'm willing to give it a try and see. ANY feedback is very much appreciated!
grandsons4
Family Member

Re: Can abx help a long term MSer?

Post by grandsons4 »

Stratton suggests NAC as one of a number of effective agents as part of his therapy that is directed toward the elementary bodies of chlamydia. (See http://www.pharmcast.com/Patents/Yr2003 ... 061703.htm). NAC is also a potent antioxidant and contributor to the synthesis of the glutathione, which is the major endogenous antioxidant produced by the cells of our body. There are a number of other benefits to supplementing with NAC. Stratton also suggests niacin (which should be taken as niacinamide) as an effective agent against the replicating and cryptic phase of chlamydia. Niacin (one of the forms of B3) is involved in DNA repair, the production of steroid hormones and numerous other bioactivities.
Both are very safe at recommended dosages, and if you have Cpn (doesn't necessarily show up in blood tests), supplementing with both should draw a reaction. It seems low-risk/high reward, but do more research. As for abx, there are people on this forum who are far more acquainted with the benefits of minocycline (a preferred antibiotic of Stratton), but I've suggested to my son that it also appears to be a low-risk/high reward option. Check out their posts.
SarahLonglands
Family Elder

Post by SarahLonglands »

I had MS for 20 years before I started treatment and I have improved vastly.

I had a very small result from a C pn test but started anyway, using doxycycline, recommended to my husband, David Wheldon, by Stratton, and a few weeks later, roxithromycin, unobtainable in the US, but not here. Doxycycline is preferable to minocyclline for long term use as it has fewer side effects

I never took DMDs or LDN either but for many years my MS was very benign.

If you are positive for candida, you MUST take plenty of probiotics.
An Itinerary in Light and Shadow Completed Dr Charles Stratton / Dr David Wheldon abx regime for aggressive secondary progressive MS in June 2007, after four years. Still improving with no relapses since starting. Can't run but can paint all day.
SarahLonglands
Family Elder

Post by SarahLonglands »

Grandsons4, NAC is included in one of Stratton's patents but it is now used to kill off the elementary bodies. There was a paper about this a few years ago, authored by both Stratton and Wheldon, but see more information here: http://www.davidwheldon.co.uk/NAC.html
An Itinerary in Light and Shadow Completed Dr Charles Stratton / Dr David Wheldon abx regime for aggressive secondary progressive MS in June 2007, after four years. Still improving with no relapses since starting. Can't run but can paint all day.
grandsons4
Family Member

Post by grandsons4 »

Anecdote, just read the article at the above site. Such a large learning curve! The reason I had leaned towards minocycline is the lower dose required (due to greater BBB penetration), and Table 5 on Stratton,s patent website (http://www.pharmcast.com/Patents/Yr2003 ... 061703.htm), which, if I read it correctly, lists minocycline as the preferred of the tetracyclines. Wasn't aware of increased potential for side-effects. As for NAC and niacin, I'm almost inclined to say the harm is in not taking these two supplements. As a side note, I just realized with your last post who you were. Your and your husband's youtube video was one of my first inspirations to not just blindly accept the "standard treatment." Still bookmarked! Thanks.
SarahLonglands
Family Elder

Post by SarahLonglands »

The patent does say that minocycline is the preferred tetracycline, however that is because it has a marginally better brain penetration, which doesn't really matter for long term use. The smaller dosage of minocycline is for use as an immunomodulator, as in the Metz trials: the correct dose as an antibiotic is the same as for doxycycline.

Stratton now uses doxycycline in preference to minocycline because of the fewer side effects, pointed out by David who never uses minocycline for this reason. David is the person who deals more with patients as individuals rather than people who are part of a trial.

I agree with you about NAC and niacin!

Yes, I am 'that Sarah' and I am known by that name on the CPN site. I chose 'Anecdote' here rather humorously, but got very irritated when someone took to calling me 'Antidote!'