Giovannoni - "The infectious causes of M.S."

A forum for the discussion of antibiotics as a potential therapy for MS

Giovannoni - "The infectious causes of M.S."

Postby SarahLonglands » Fri Nov 03, 2006 7:43 am

This is the Lancet Neurology link to the review article, but there is no abstract:

http://tinyurl.com/ymj98l

However, there is also this:

http://www.msif.org/en/research/research_news/infectious_cause.html

Summary: The cause of MS is unknown but some infective agents are thought to play a contributory role. This review article discusses two of the possible candidates, Epstein Barr virus and Chlamydia pneumonia, and the evidence for each of them.

authors: Giovannoni G, Cutter GR, Lunemann J, Martin R, Munz C, Sriram S, Steiner I, Hammerschlag MR, Gaydos CA.

source: Lancet Neurol. 2006 Oct;5(10):887-94.

I have read the whole article and the piece by Giovannoni especially is very good.

Sarah
An Itinerary in Light and Shadow Completed Dr Charles Stratton / Dr David Wheldon abx regime for aggressive secondary progressive MS in June 2007, after four years. Still improving with no relapses since starting. Can't run but can paint all day.
SarahLonglands
Family Elder

Postby gibbledygook » Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:47 am

What I find interesting in this report, is that "Koch took more than a decade to convince his contemporaries that Mycobacterium tuberculosis was the cause of tuberculosis". Can't see the wood for the trees.

PS I subscribe to the Lancet so if anyone wants more information please PM me. There is fascinating stuff on EBV from Gavin Giovannoni and on Chlamydia pneumonia by Sriram at Vanderbilt. If only there were effective anti-viral drugs out there I'd be taking them too.
gibbledygook
Family Elder

Postby SarahLonglands » Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:38 pm

Quite, and it took twenty years for the h pylori and stomach ulcer link to be fully recognised. Even more trees.

Now why didn't you mention Hammerschlag's piece, Alex?
An Itinerary in Light and Shadow Completed Dr Charles Stratton / Dr David Wheldon abx regime for aggressive secondary progressive MS in June 2007, after four years. Still improving with no relapses since starting. Can't run but can paint all day.
SarahLonglands
Family Elder

Return to Antibiotics