Use of NAC with Antibiotics

A forum for the discussion of antibiotics as a potential therapy for MS
marcstck
Family Elder

Use of NAC with Antibiotics

Post by marcstck »

I'm a little confused about the use of NAC with antibiotics for the treatment of progressive MS. Is the NAC used in place of Zithromax or doxycycline, or in addition to both drugs. I just started taking NAC and doxycycline, and would like to know if the Zithromax is mandatory. I also understand that Flagyl should be added as pulses later in the protocol, but I'll cross that bridge when I get there...
SarahLonglands
Family Elder

Post by SarahLonglands »

Marc, NAC is used now in plce of amoxicillin, which used to be used at Vanderbilt, but now NAC tends to be used instead. David never prescribed amoxicillin over here because he liked to use as few antibiotics as possible. He thought that NAC would be more than a good substitute and help keep the bowel flora more intact. You do need really to take a macrolide along with doxycycline as they both work synergically, plus it avoids the possible build up of resistance. Azithromycin or roxithromycin are the macrolides of choice as both have good CNS penetration.

Flagyl is definitely a bridge to cross when you get there, so don't rush at it! Have you read this?:
http://www.davidwheldon.co.uk/ms-treatment.html

Sarah
An Itinerary in Light and Shadow Completed Dr Charles Stratton / Dr David Wheldon abx regime for aggressive secondary progressive MS in June 2007, after four years. Still improving with no relapses since starting. Can't run but can paint all day.

Return to “Antibiotics”