ABX, pregnancy and possible MS

A forum for the discussion of antibiotics as a potential therapy for MS
amalisa
Family Member

ABX, pregnancy and possible MS

Post by amalisa »

Hello!

I have read many months in this forum, that gives me a lot of hope. About me: female, 31 years old, I started to have ongoing weird neurological symptoms in September/October/November 2006: tingeling and burning sensations in hands, legs and right side of the face, problems with balance, weakness in my left arm and leg, eye pain, weak voice, brain fog. I was lucky to find a nice neurologist right from the start. He ordered two MRIs the next four months, VEP and LP. VEP and LP were negative, but the MRI was not completely clean. Although there was no change between the two measures and no Gadolinium enhancement. My symptoms went away and I was left with a possible diagnosis of MS and the advice not to wait too long, should I consider to start a family. Also my neurologist could not tell me what kind of MS I might have, but he did not want to rule PPMS completely out. He wants to see me again at the end of the year. In February 07 I became pregnant but unfortunately the little "worm" inside me decided to leave. I lost it in the 7th week.

I don't take any medication. But I started the Swank diet in April along with several supplements and try to have at least one hour of fresh air and sun a day. Well, the sun is a bit a problem here in Switzerland... :? I calmed my life and avoid negative stress. Currently I feel again some weakness in my left arm and legs, as well as light vertigo and tremor, but I hesitate to call it an exacerbation. Now my problem is, I do not know where to continue with my life!

My partner and I decided to start again with familyplans in october or november (I must say, I absolutely do not want a spring-child after what I read about birthmonths an MS). On the other hand this ABX-therapy sound so promising, that I would like to start right now, knowing, that I should avoid getting pregnant for at least one year. But what after that year? Is it possible to stop and restart the therapy after pregnagy and nursing and do you think it is better to first start the family and after that put myself on a constant ABX-therapy? I know that nobody can decide for me but I am just curiouse to know what the ABX-profis think in my case.

Best
Nati (who should improve her English :wink: )
SarahLonglands
Family Elder

Post by SarahLonglands »

Hello Nati, your English is very good, don't worry. Strange, but I hadn't looked here for several days, then I look very shortly after you have posted!

As for your MS, it would be very good if it turned out not to be MS, but neurologists tend to be reluctant to tell someone they have MS, so if it has been mentioned...................

Obviously I am going to say that I think antibiotics are the way forward and the earlier it is started the better. It is possible if you are that early in the disease for this treatment to just make it go away and not cause any trouble again. Of course, looking at your profile you are intelligent enough to know that sometimes, MS can be so benign that you aren't troubled again without doing anything, but such cases are in the minority. I had very benign MS for about fifteen years before it took a sudden turn for the worse.

Now, what to do is obviously up to you, but with such mild early disease one years full-time abx should be enough, then a few sporadic doses of a few weeks after that, just to make sure. So, you could either wait until you have had a baby and finished breast feeding, or you could start now and do it for a year, then endeavour to get pregnant, remembering that pregnancy tends to put MS into temporary abeyance, then restart with intermittent therapy after. You might be lucky and only ever need one year's treatment, but that can't be said until you have done it.

Best of luck with whatever you decide to do.

Sarah :)
An Itinerary in Light and Shadow Completed Dr Charles Stratton / Dr David Wheldon abx regime for aggressive secondary progressive MS in June 2007, after four years. Still improving with no relapses since starting. Can't run but can paint all day.
amalisa
Family Member

Post by amalisa »

Hello Sarah

Thank you so much for your reply! Yes, I wish it turns out not to be MS but as you wrote, once it has been considered, it's only a matter of time... I have to discuss this family/therapy-thing thoroughly with my partner. He wants to become a dad (of three!) so badly... We are both in the last year of our PhD (he in the MRI-field, me in history of art).
I have to read your husbands protocol again and make sure I understand everything correctly and then find a doctor who is willing to give me the prescription, what will be the most difficult part of the story. Oh well, doctors here in Switzerland are so hesitating when it comes to new approaches of therapy.

All the best
Nati
SarahLonglands
Family Elder

Post by SarahLonglands »

Prescribing doctor in Switzerland might well be a problem, so good luck with that. If you could PM me your email address there are a couple of things I could send you which might help. It has worked so far with a few doctors in Israel, Washington DC, Nederland and here.

One thing is a paper David and Stratton from Vanderbilt had published last October.

Best,

Sarah
An Itinerary in Light and Shadow Completed Dr Charles Stratton / Dr David Wheldon abx regime for aggressive secondary progressive MS in June 2007, after four years. Still improving with no relapses since starting. Can't run but can paint all day.