loriyas antibiotic log

A forum for the discussion of antibiotics as a potential therapy for MS
Loriyas
Family Elder

Post by Loriyas »

Wiggy
These foot pads are supposed to take the toxins from your body as you sleep. You wear them during the night and take them off when you wake up. It seems bizarre but harmless and I wanted to see how they worked. We'll see!!!!
Lori
MacKintosh
Family Elder

Post by MacKintosh »

Lori, The tv was on at work and the commercial for the foot pads came on. My class clown remarked that people should wash their feet and save their money. Well, the whole office was in full abuse-mode after that and there was no stopping eight men from non-stop commentary for the next ten minutes!

I really want to know if you think they work. It sounds fascinating and we do know that toxins come through our skin, so why not?

By the way, you're doing great! I know it was a tentative start, but your progress now sounds very 'normal'.
The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems. Mohandas Gandhi
Loriyas
Family Elder

Post by Loriyas »

Update

I just finished my 3rd flagyl pulse yesterday. I did a 7 day pulse again. My observations are as follows:

-fatigue is the number one side effect I get with flagyl. In fact, I wouldn't even classify it as "fatigue" but rather extra tiredness. I have had fatigue in the past and this is not nearly as severe. With the last two pulses the tiredness was in the morning, making it hard to get up ( not like me usually )This time it would set in late afternoon. And I didn't experience it until after about 3 days of flagyl.

-dizziness in morning. Okay after breakfast so I think it is somewhat tied to blood sugar levels-just a guess.

-one day I had a feeling of "jumping out of my skin". Can't figure a way to describe it but some twitching and feeling that I couldn't be still. Didn't have this every day, though.

-slight stomach upset

-vision mostly okay, although I did have some double vision requiring me to wear my prism glasses. Haven't had to do that in a while. I will see if that is the flagyl die off that causes that.

I am feeling very good overall. Have increased energy (except as cited above). The pain that I was having in my foot has decreased. But most importantly, my husband has noticed improvement in me. He thinks I am "acting like your old self" with more energy, moving around less gingerly, and he says I don't mention things that are happening to me like I used to. I think the people around you notice things that you may not. To me, that is a great indicator.

I feel positive about this and am glad I got started.

Lori
wiggy
Family Elder

Post by wiggy »

Did those footpads help? on a 20/20 special they said they were a hoax. But my sister-in-law said some brand does really help.
SarahLonglands
Family Elder

Post by SarahLonglands »

Lori, you are right: it is the people that are around you who are the first to notice anything, so if your husband says that you are acting more like your old self, you must be. I am so glad you got started as well!

Sarah :)
An Itinerary in Light and Shadow Completed Dr Charles Stratton / Dr David Wheldon abx regime for aggressive secondary progressive MS in June 2007, after four years. Still improving with no relapses since starting. Can't run but can paint all day.
Loriyas
Family Elder

Post by Loriyas »

Wiggy
I tried the foot pads for 3 nights. Having them on drove me crazy! You are supposed to go 7 nights but there was no way! They did turn brown after use which is "supposed" to be the toxins removed from your body. But I have my doubts-anyway I couldn't stand having something attached to the bottom of my feet. So I can't say if they did any thing or not. Didn't feel any different, if that is any indication!
Lori
notasperfectasyou
Family Elder

3 down

Post by notasperfectasyou »

Lori,
It's great to hear you've completed 3. Is the upset stomach following Flagyl? We found that chewing up some nori helped with flagylache.

I can't comment on the foot pads. Does however sound like ear candles.

Do you find that it's the week following Flagyl that is the most difficult?
Ken
It would be really nice to be able to put links in here

If I have included a bad link, google the word "Scholar", click link for "Google Scholar". Search for the name of the paper and author in Google Scholar.
Loriyas
Family Elder

Post by Loriyas »

Ken
The stomach upset was kind of all day so can't say precisely it is flagyl. However, I don't experience it much during the rest of the month. I think it is the combination of everything. I chew ginger gum and that really helps.

It does take a few days after flagyl to recover. Mostly tiredness. But so far I haven't had strong reactions so my recovery is also not as long.

Lori
notasperfectasyou
Family Elder

toasted what?!?!?!?

you might knaw on a sheet of sushi wrap. It's called Nori in the asian market, also known as .... seaweed. It's actually quite tasty. It might settle your stomach from flagylization. I toast it to make it crunchier, by waving it over the stove top for a few minutes to heat/dry it. Ken

If I have included a bad link, google the word "Scholar", click link for "Google Scholar". Search for the name of the paper and author in Google Scholar.
Loriyas
Family Elder

4th flagyl pulse

Post by Loriyas »

I just finished my 4th flagyl pulse on Wednesday May 21, 2008.

This flagyl pulse was definitely the most challenging thus far. Prior to this one flagyl didn't cause me too much problem. I always felt worse while taking it but it wasn't too bad. This time was a little different. I definitely knew I was taking it! I woke up every morning with body aches that subsided after several hours. I took Epsom salt baths, whirlpool, massage, Emergen C etc and all helped alleviate it some. I also have feet pain that I have had since this past summer. But during the pulse it was worse. I had an upset stomach more often than not and some waves of nausea. Ginger helps this some. I found it difficult to get in all the NAC during this week because taking any more pills didn't help the situation! One of the biggest things I find with flagyl is the fatigue I experience. I am fortunate not to have much during the off-flagyl time but it is definitely there with flagyl. I do have to comment that when I first started flagyl this week I was finishing a prescription of Levoquin for a UTIi. They overlapped 2 days. So one more antibiotic this time.

I did experience the "blues" this time also. I have a prescription for clonazepam and that helps take the edge off without affecting anything else.

I also noticed an increase in heart rate during this time. Could feel my heart "pounding" at times. Not so much after finishing flagyl. Also, have noticed the tremor in my hand has returned. It had left for a little while but seems to be back some.

I finished the flagyl on Wednesday. By Saturday the tiredness had improved enough to go shopping with my 14 year old daughter, which you can imagine is not a short trip! I did okay with a few rests in between.

I keep a journal beside my bed and jot down a few things at night. I noted that this was the toughest pulse thus far. Not so much that I would change the length of the pulse or take something else. But I had enough reaction to state in my journal that if I had any doubt that this was doing something, this week took that doubt away.

Interestingly, I had an appointment with my GP for my foot pain to see if there was anything that we could do to help it. He asked me if I thought this protocol was still working positively for me. At the time I started this he was willing to go along with it and learn everything he could about it. But wanted me to be seen at Vanderbilt for the oversight of the protocol itself. He is also a family friend so sees me in social situations. He told me that he has seen a change in me. That I am more "with it", cognitively, don't have trouble expressing myself, seem to be doing really well. I think it is significant that he sees positive changes because he sees me enough to note changes but not every day where he may not recognize things. Even more interestingly is that he told another patient of his about this protocol and referred him to Vanderbilt. I think that says a lot!

All in all, it has been a little more challenging this pulse but reassuring also that I am "killing the bugs!"

Lori
SarahLonglands
Family Elder

Post by SarahLonglands »

Good all round, Lori!

Its very useful that your GP is also a family friend, someone you see but not every day. David has had a few patients whose spouse just completely fails to see any changes because they happen gradually. Likewise people who see me only once every few months can forget what I was like. Being thought to be now more "with it" cognitively by your GP, who then refers another patient to Vanderbilt is priceless.

Sarah :)
An Itinerary in Light and Shadow Completed Dr Charles Stratton / Dr David Wheldon abx regime for aggressive secondary progressive MS in June 2007, after four years. Still improving with no relapses since starting. Can't run but can paint all day.
notasperfectasyou
Family Elder

4x7

Congrats on completing your 28th day of Flagyl!!!

It's definitely easy to not notice subtle changes. This is in part why I'm tracking things with notes and in our own thread. Having a thread like this has helped me in that I can go back and check things out and reference them.

You might have read my thing about Tagamet and now we are trying Glucose. It's cheap and easy to get at the CVS. They are very palatable and they sooth Kim's stomach and provbide a little energy boost too. You might want to try them out.

I believe that the revisiting of old symptoms is a good thing, but Sarah would likely have more to say about that than me.

Imagine we thought we were going to do 15 day pulses when we started out! Do you feel somewhat more imparement the week following flagyl or during the flagyl? Ken

Loriyas
Family Elder

Post by Loriyas »

Ken
I have been sucking on glucose tablets for months! I think they help with dizziness or whenever I feel low. They help a lot.

I feel worse during the flagyl pulse as opposed to after. Although this time it has taken me longer to feel better. Each day has been an improvement but still not like before flagyl. This was the first time that I could not wait until the week was done! My husband kept reminding me that feeling like this was a good thing! Even though you know that intellectually it helps for someone else to actually say it!

Lori
Grumpster
Family Elder

Post by Grumpster »

Hello lori-

Wow ,you are much farther along than I on the abx. I ha ve been scared about the flagyl an dhave only done a one day pulse. I am going to muster up the energy this month to get a real pulse going. right now I am just doxy daily and azith MWF.

ps. the foot pads are a scam. it is a simple chemical reaction that has nothing to do with removing toxins from your system. I know this from my old days investigating health fraud scams. Keep up the good work. I wish I was farther along with the abx. I just feel so terrible every day that I can not imagine feeling worse and still functioning.

yikes.....
Loriyas
Family Elder

Post by Loriyas »

Hi Grumpster
I agree with you on the foot pads! But I had to give them a try-you never know. I always believed the claim about mercury toxicity in amalgam fillings and had all of mine removed about 6 years ago. Every dentist I have ever talked to told me the ADA says they are safe and that I was overreacting. Well, in today's newspaper there was an article by the Associated Press entitled "Silver filling may pose concern". It goes on to say that the FDA has given a warning that amalgams "contain mercury, which may have neurotoxic effects on the nervous systems of developing children and fetuses" So I feel my decision 6 years ago was justified. The FDA did not go so far as to recommend removal but I am glad I did. My point is, you never know what is true and what is not. That's why I decided to give the foot pads a try.

I started my 5th flagyl pulse yesterday. I have a follow-up appointment at Vanderbilt next Monday. I have to say so far that I truly believe in the antibiotic protocol - at least for me. It is not easy but I feel that positive things are happening. My fear of what may happen to me if I don't do this outweighs the discomfort I experience.

I wish you the best of luck with this. Take it at the pace that you can go. What works for one person may not work for another so you may need to take it slower. That's okay. Just keep at it!

Lori