Anecdote's continuing itinerary through light and shadow

A forum for the discussion of antibiotics as a potential therapy for MS
SarahLonglands
Family Elder

Anecdote's continuing itinerary through light and shadow

Post by SarahLonglands »

I have decided, since I have finished my regime but am still getting improvements to move to the Antibiotics forum, so here I am, with a link to where I started back in August 2003.

http://www.thisisms.com/ftopic-1345-0.html

Well, its now March 2008 and I have not had an MS episode since that time, whereas prior to that, with rapidly advancing secondary progressive disease I was deteriorating by the day with the odd relapse still thrown in.

Coincidence? I don't think so, but I will soon post on improvements and supplements still taken.

Sarah
An Itinerary in Light and Shadow Completed Dr Charles Stratton / Dr David Wheldon abx regime for aggressive secondary progressive MS in June 2007, after four years. Still improving with no relapses since starting. Can't run but can paint all day.
MacKintosh
Family Elder

Post by MacKintosh »

Thanks, Sarah. (In so many ways...)

Looking forward to the story!
The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems. Mohandas Gandhi
notasperfectasyou
Family Elder

ditto, ditto, ditto

Post by notasperfectasyou »

I couldn't possibly thank you enough. I feel that the best way is to work on spreading the word and helping others to learn about ABX. I've not posted in a while, Kim's on her 2nd pulse of Flagyl right now. I've been waiting until about a week after it to post about how it was compared to the first pulse.

But, back on topic, Sarah ...... CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!

With each little improvement you share, we feel that much more desire. Whether you like it or not, you are an exceptional coach and mentor.

I'm serious. Those aren't just words, we look up to you for direction, motivation and understanding. I know it's tough to carry the touch and I want you to know that I have tremendous respect for the time and effort you put into bringing the cure for MS to others. Thank you Sarah.

So how's the scooter working for you?
Ken
Last edited by notasperfectasyou on Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
It would be really nice to be able to put links in here

If I have included a bad link, google the word "Scholar", click link for "Google Scholar". Search for the name of the paper and author in Google Scholar.
SarahLonglands
Family Elder

Post by SarahLonglands »

Good grief Ken! Oh, you mean my two wheeled Puki scooter, I guess. Its very useful because it has a shopping basket on the handlebars and carrying heavy bags tends to misbalance me.

My big story of the moment, though, is that I have ditched acrylic painting in order to go back to my favoured oils. I was worried about the solvents, David was even more so, but everything about oil paints is so much better: the colours, the texture, the speed of drying or lack of it, everything. David could tell I was unhappy, knew I painted better with oils, but finally he couldn't see any reason not to use them,because I only ever over used solvents when doing decorative finishes: fake marbling, fake oak paneling, that sort of thing. It made me money, but I didn't enormously enjoy it.

When painting canvases, I used just cold-pressed linseed oil and natural distilled turpentine sometimes mixed with dammar varnish to make a glazing medium. For cleaning brushes I have just now discovered a lemon oil based "turpentine substitute" so I'm going to try that.

I also have a mobile air filter/ioniser which I will use.

When I have got the new colours I need and spring cleaned my studio I'm also going to take up learning my 'cello again, decided after reading an article about myelin in this months Scientific American. Learning new things is good for keeping your brain plastic, especially learning something like a musical instrument.

But thank you, both of you for saying nice things. Makes me feel better about forgetting it was mother's day here yesterday, being so wrapped up in other things. 8O

I'll look forward to seeing how Kim is getting on.

Sarah
An Itinerary in Light and Shadow Completed Dr Charles Stratton / Dr David Wheldon abx regime for aggressive secondary progressive MS in June 2007, after four years. Still improving with no relapses since starting. Can't run but can paint all day.
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Anecdote's continuing itinerary through light and shadow

Post by NHE »

Anecdote wrote:When painting canvases, I used just cold-pressed linseed oil and natural distilled turpentine sometimes mixed with dammar varnish to make a glazing medium. For cleaning brushes I have just now discovered a lemon oil based "turpentine substitute" so I'm going to try that.
I have watched several of Bob Ross' painting shows on PBS. He frequently mentions that he uses an odorless solvent to clean his paint brushes. I don't know much about painting and his web site doesn't say what's in it nor did I see a link to an MSDS either but it may be helpful for you.

On another note, I used to work on bicycles quite a bit when I was 9-10 or so and my folks would have me clean my hands with turpentine. In addition, I worked as a professional mechanic for about 10 years and for the first couple of years I never used gloves when handling solvents or cleaners. I eventually started to get sores on my hands and a dermatologist told me to wear gloves (clearly, some of us need a good shove in the right direction every once and a while). Anyways, the sores went away and never returned but I have always wondered if this exposure to organic solvents may have increased my risk for developing MS.

By the way, I still work on my car and bicycle from time to time but now I find that using a scrub brush and some mild dishwashing soap will clean my hands just fine.

NHE
notasperfectasyou
Family Elder

new talent

Solveth ......... I got teeth marks all inside my mouth now.

If I have included a bad link, google the word "Scholar", click link for "Google Scholar". Search for the name of the paper and author in Google Scholar.
SarahLonglands
Family Elder

Post by SarahLonglands »

Thanks NHE, I'll have a look. I can't stand the smell of "white sprit" or "turps substitute" for cleaning brushes, so I have ordered the lemon oil based substitute which can be used both for cleaning brushes and thinning paint. I used t use some frightening things which I never would now, which I'm sure didn't help my MS.

Distilled turpentine is gentler than the stuff that would have been used to clean your hands, but it is still an organic solvent, so I will go careful with it and only use it when there is no other option, like in making glazes, but that's only a small part of painting.

I will always switch my air filter on!

Another thing, I am taking more antioxidants than before.

Ken, I don't have pointy ears, do you?

Sarah
notasperfectasyou
Family Elder

not anymore

my head exploded and the pointiness has been rounded off. I have Lewis Black's attitude about this stuff. I'm trying so hard to be PC. Ken

SarahLonglands
Family Elder

Post by SarahLonglands »

What stuff? I had to look up "Solveth." I'll have to look up Lewis Black now! Sarah
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Anecdote's continuing itinerary through light and shadow

Post by NHE »

Anecdote wrote:I will always switch my air filter on!
Here's a bit of my experience which I hope that you might find helpful. When I was in college I used to work on people's cars part time in my garage. On days when I had to do anything which involved exposure to solvents or gasoline, such as a carburetor overhaul, I found it particularly difficult to do any studying later that evening. It seems that after inhaling gas fumes for some period of time, I had blocked off the neural pathways which were necessary for doing calculus or chemistry. The answer was pretty simple, I purchased a respirator with activated carbon filters. Afterwards, wearing the respirator while doing a carburetor overhaul I found that I could study later in the evening. Unfortunately, this only took care of what I was breathing. One time my housemate came home with her two kids while I was in the middle of doing an overhaul in the garage and complained quite loudly and then left. Apparently, I had filled much of the lower part of the house with gas fumes and I'm probably lucky that I didn't cause an explosion. The moral of the story was that not only did I need to protect myself from the gas fumes but I also needed to use adequate ventilation to keep the fumes from bothering other people. With this in mind, an air filter may help but what may be better is to open a couple of windows and use some fans to set up some air circulation to remove the fumes from your workplace.

Best wishes in your painting, NHE
MacKintosh
Family Elder

Post by MacKintosh »

I'll be pc for you, Ken. As best I can on day five of a thirty day flagyl pulse...

Since I believe chlamydia pneumoniae bacteria is the cause of what has manifested in me as 'multiple sclerosis', I tend to think the fumes from turpentine and linseed oil, not to mention floor sealant, are not the cause of my MS.

Independently, I do think they have an effect on stunting brain activity, but I don't think the two are the same thing at all.
The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems. Mohandas Gandhi
SarahLonglands
Family Elder

Post by SarahLonglands »

Thanks again, NHE, but a small jar half filled with a mixture of cold pressed linseed oil and distilled turpentine isn't quite in the same order as what you were doing. I must say that spray varnishing is much more similar, though, but when doing that I promise to both wear my activated charcoal filter and open at least two of my three windows, never mind the weather.

When I started doing the really horrible things I did with faux finishes and so on, more than ten years ago, I already had MS but I can't say it didn't have an effect, so I stopped.

David works just across the landing, so if he smells too much coming out of my studio he will be bound to let me know.

Sarah
SarahLonglands
Family Elder

Post by SarahLonglands »

Thirty days Mac? I'll bet you a Seraph print that you only last half!

Sarah 8)
notasperfectasyou
Family Elder

SOOOOOOOooooooooooo pc...........

MacKintosh wrote:I'll be pc for you, Ken. As best I can on day five of a thirty day flagyl pulse...

Since I believe chlamydia pneumoniae bacteria is the cause of what has manifested in me as 'multiple sclerosis', I tend to think the fumes from turpentine and linseed oil, not to mention floor sealant, are not the cause of my MS.

Independently, I do think they have an effect on stunting brain activity, but I don't think the two are the same thing at all.
Oh, my........ you running for President? I think 4 years ago I tried Drafting Lyon. The posts should still be here. I often feel like ranting like Lewis, he's clearly a comedian for adults.

Sarah, Solveth is what comes out when saying solvents while biting your tongue. ...........

30 DAYS!!!!! 8O 8O 8O

Sarah, what's the longest pulse you did? Ken

SarahLonglands
Family Elder

Post by SarahLonglands »

Sarah, Solveth is what comes out when saying solvents while biting your tongue. ...........
Oh, got it now: nothing to do with pointy ears! Yes, it does.

The longest pulse I ever did was...............five days. :wink:

Sarah