Antibiotics don't work on MS?

A forum for the discussion of antibiotics as a potential therapy for MS
MacKintosh
Family Elder

Antibiotics don't work on MS?

Post by MacKintosh »

Gosh, you'd think, as quiet as this topic has gotten, that antibiotics don't work. You'd think we slunk (is that a word?) into the night, ashamed to admit defeat to MS. You'd think none of us had improved on the Stratton or Wheldon protocols and we just stopped posting, because we didn't want to admit it publicly.

Well, I'm here to remind people that few of us post here anymore because 1) we're so busy in our improved health and demanding lives and/or 2) we're posting on that other site dedicated solely to chlamydia pneumoniae bacteria and its treatment for MS, arthritis, rosacea, alopecia, chronic fatigue, fibro, asthma... and we have less time to come here and duplicate our posts, and/or 3) we've decided to quit abx and go dabble in something else. (I only know of a couple who've gone that route, but I'd be unfair if I didn't at least broach it.)

At three years, two months of abx protocol, I'm probably 98% recovered from what appeared to be an unrelenting series of MS symptoms that were multiplying exponentially. I'll be tapering off to intermittent therapy very soon, then stopping altogether. I've learned so much along the way - about medicine and neurology and people and determination. It's been a whole new world. (Sure beats how small and closed off my life was surely becoming when I was first diagnosed and sliding downhill.)

Thanks so much to ThisIs MS, where I first learned of antibiotic therapy by reading a teeny little news story about a teeny little company pursuing an oral medication for MS, a medication based on antibiotics. This led to finding Sarah, who posts here as Anecdote, and her microbiologist husband, Dr. David WHeldon. Through Sarah, I met my incredible doctor, who has actually 'done' the protocol and has totally recovered from MS, and Jim Kepner, who founded the cpn help website.

Antibiotics work on MS. Well. And often. Too often to be a fluke (or an anecdote, Sarah). 8)

Happy almost-New-Year, everyone!
The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems. Mohandas Gandhi
sojourner
Family Member

Post by sojourner »

MacK, you little scamp :lol:

Well, you forced my hand, and after not posting here for- EVER, here goes.

My husband,(MS dx'd in May 2004) is chugging along quite nicely. He has been on antibiotics for almost 3 yrs (remembering the 3-5 yr. recommendations by experts).

He feels he is at about 85% overall, and still trending upwards with slight dips while on certain abx.

His regimen consists currently of 3 weeks on 3 weeks off with one loong break of about 6 weeks where he felt awesome (90-95%). Feeling quite good off the meds is a great development, and seems to show he has this infection under control.

He has suffered no ill effects from long term abx use (OHHH those scary abx 8O), and has been on a bunch of different combinations. Many of which are not the anti-inflammatory kind which could make some people think his good health and improvement might be attributed to those-i.e. minocycline/doxycycline etc.

He has suffered from some awful die-off. One round of biaxin and plaquenil last Christmas had him writhing around the house with pain in his sacrum and right hip......no fun, but a funny thing did happened after this pain....some small issues he had with his right leg cleared up. This has been the general pattern (not always quick, though). Die-off, suffering and improvement in past symptoms. Not to be confused with resolution of exacerbation where symptoms disappear, but actual improvement.

MRIs have been stable with improvement seen in a couple. Some spinal cord lesions disappeared on the last one, but the radiologist said they might have originally been artifactual-which meant he was saying they were never really there.

My husband is out living his life, doing his job etc. The 37yr old lady up the street is in a wheel chair after Novantrone treatment, and electrodes planted in her head, currently taking Tysabri (she's spms so I don't know why!), getting worse daily, husband wants to get a divorce.

So MacK, I guess you are right-abx doesn't work in MS.

But it did work in my husband's MS, oh and my sister's too. Oh yea! and yours, and Sarah's and Rica's and even for Daisy's husband and Joyce's husband too. Oh, and Life on the Ice's. There are others I know.

My thanks too to Thisisms, Sarah, David, Mack, Life on the Ice, Rica, JimK who got us started. First my husband got his hope back, and next he got to keep his life. Not too shabby for MS.
notasperfectasyou
Family Elder

Hey!

Post by notasperfectasyou »

I'm still here posting. Am I doing something wrong? Am I supposed to stop posting here at TIMS?

My goal, here at TIMS, is to leave a fairly complete roadmap for others. To explain the things we run into and post the things we try. Ken
It would be really nice to be able to put links in here

If I have included a bad link, google the word "Scholar", click link for "Google Scholar". Search for the name of the paper and author in Google Scholar.
MacKintosh
Family Elder

Post by MacKintosh »

Ken, There hasn't been NEAR the volume of posts here on antibiotics that there used to be. That's why I posted. It was simply a reminder to folks who might be perusing the antibiotics topic that we ARE alive and well and most of us are recovering nicely.

You're not 'supposed to stop posting here'. It was a tweak to remind us to post here more frequently. :wink:
The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems. Mohandas Gandhi
notasperfectasyou
Family Elder

oh

Post by notasperfectasyou »

I guess I'd better post soon then.

seriously, if we care about this therapy and want others to know about it, shouldn't we post more often?

Sarah isn't even taking ths stuff anymore, but she's still posting a lot.

On a completely diffeent note, has anyone seen "Life.Support.Music"?
It would be really nice to be able to put links in here

If I have included a bad link, google the word "Scholar", click link for "Google Scholar". Search for the name of the paper and author in Google Scholar.
MacKintosh
Family Elder

Post by MacKintosh »

Sojourner, Never been called a scamp before, but I kind of like it! :wink: I wore high heels to every Christmas party this year. I will never forget the feeling, three years ago, of thinking I'd never be able to wear them again. Actually, I was walking so oddly, I was wondering how long I'd BE walking, at all.
Albhoy
Getting to Know You...

Post by Albhoy »

I never really posted a great deal due purely to laziness, however, recently it has been down to what you said Mac, I have been doing so well since starting abx just over two years ago that I've been spending my spare time with other stuff rather than sitting on the pc every night for hours.

I've been having a break since November but plan to start back after New Year, I was actually about to send the wonderful Dr Wheldon an e mail to let him know I hadn't gave up but was just taking time out, but they have worked for me.

If I get something for my laziness then I'll post more in the new year.
MacKintosh
Family Elder

Post by MacKintosh »

Al - I was wondering what happened with you!!! Great news! Thanks for posting this. And, yes, we want the gory details, so come back soon. :wink:
mamahawk
Family Member

Post by mamahawk »

Hello (waving)...
A friend asked me for info about my treatment choices and I followed the links I sent to her and ended up reading here again.

I'm one of the ones that followed the Wheldon CAP and still take LDN, and I disappeared from this Forum.
I stopped CAP awhile ago... 18 months or more. This October will be my 5yr anniversary of being diagnosed and I have no symptoms... no deficiencies. Other than a healthy fear of MS returning to my life, I have nothing to remind myself of when I was sick.

So... all is well here and if I ever have symptoms again, I will be taking the same treatment.
Till next time!
Dx MS 10-05, multiple symptoms. MRI 20 brain lesions (3 enhancing), 1 spinal lesion, positive spinal, MMA>550.
Started: LDN 12-05, Wheldon CAP: Doxy 2-06, Azith 3-06, Flagyl 5-06.
Now: All is well, no symptoms! 4/2010
MacKintosh
Family Elder

Post by MacKintosh »

You bring tears to my eyes! How wonderful!!! How NORMAL! 8)
SarahLonglands
Family Elder

Post by SarahLonglands »

Mamahawk, waving back!! How wonderful to hear from you..............Sarah
An Itinerary in Light and Shadow Completed Dr Charles Stratton / Dr David Wheldon abx regime for aggressive secondary progressive MS in June 2007, after four years. Still improving with no relapses since starting. Can't run but can paint all day.
mamahawk
Family Member

...and another year!

Post by mamahawk »

So once again, someone asked me for my info and I followed my links to check in.
Last time I posted was a year ago - and while I'm crazy busy and can't post often (actually don't have anything MSish to report or post!) I thought I'd pop in and say I am still symptom and deficiency free, also abx free for a long time.

I haven't done any intermittent therapy or pulses, but if I ever have any additional symptoms - I will go through it all again.

Hope more are doing well!

Mamahawk!
Dx MS 10-05, multiple symptoms. MRI 20 brain lesions (3 enhancing), 1 spinal lesion, positive spinal, MMA>550.
Started: LDN 12-05, Wheldon CAP: Doxy 2-06, Azith 3-06, Flagyl 5-06.
Now: All is well, no symptoms! 4/2010
SarahLonglands
Family Elder

Post by SarahLonglands »

Mamahawk, that is such good news: you obviously caught it early. I am also symptom free but I do have some deficiencies caused by scars, my MS having been of nearly twenty years duration before I started abx: most of my adult life. I would say that I am doing well, though, doing some of my best painting ever.

Sarah
An Itinerary in Light and Shadow Completed Dr Charles Stratton / Dr David Wheldon abx regime for aggressive secondary progressive MS in June 2007, after four years. Still improving with no relapses since starting. Can't run but can paint all day.
Loriyas
Family Elder

Post by Loriyas »

Mamahawk
So great to hear. Thank you for posting your update!
CuriousRobot
Family Elder

Post by CuriousRobot »

This is wonderful news. Bless you.