A forum for the discussion of antibiotics as a potential therapy for MS
Frank
Family Elder

Calcium inhibiting ABX and other drugs

Post by Frank »

Hi,

I recently came across some articles like this one:
http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/calcium-000945.htm

How do you think about the relevance of the inhibiting effect of Calcium on drugs? Does anyone know what evidence is on the basis of this assertion - in vitro model, animal studies, human trials?

Thanks
--Frank
Treatment: Gilenya since 01/2011, CCSVI both IJV ballooned 09/2010, Tysabri stopped after 24 Infusions and positive JCV antibody test, after LDN, ABX Wheldon Regime for 1 year.
SarahLonglands
Family Elder

Post by SarahLonglands »

Frank, it says on both David's site and many other places that antibiotics such as doxycycline should be taken at least two hours apart from calcium or antacids. Since I never took anything else on this list this is all I know about. A small glass of milk doesn't count by the way, since there is not enough calcium in it.

How are you doing, by the way?

Sarah
An Itinerary in Light and Shadow Completed Dr Charles Stratton / Dr David Wheldon abx regime for aggressive secondary progressive MS in June 2007, after four years. Still improving with no relapses since starting. Can't run but can paint all day.
Frank
Family Elder

Post by Frank »

Hi Sarah,

I'm doing pretty good, thanks for asking.
Since my ankle is still not as good as befor surgery (but its fine already) I have focused my exercises mostly on swimming.

In 2008 (I restarted Tysabri post ABX) I didnt have any relapses, but I also would not say that I'm really improving. Its more that I start to feel comfortable in my current stable state - stability is SO! important for making plans of any kind and not feeling afraid of what might happen next month.

How about you, I hope everything is fine?

--Frank
Treatment: Gilenya since 01/2011, CCSVI both IJV ballooned 09/2010, Tysabri stopped after 24 Infusions and positive JCV antibody test, after LDN, ABX Wheldon Regime for 1 year.
SarahLonglands
Family Elder

Post by SarahLonglands »

Frank, I'm doing pretty well also. I wish I got on better with swimming, though, because I know how good it is for you. Luckily, though, I got over feeling frightened of what may happen next month about three years ago. I'm more frightened of swimming.

Taking abx for a year before restarting tysabri might have done you more good than you realise, if you have had no relapses in that time, then improvements will happen in their own time. I am still getting subtle improvements now, well over a year since completing abx.

Sarah
An Itinerary in Light and Shadow Completed Dr Charles Stratton / Dr David Wheldon abx regime for aggressive secondary progressive MS in June 2007, after four years. Still improving with no relapses since starting. Can't run but can paint all day.
MacKintosh
Family Elder

Post by MacKintosh »

Frank, I know I'm straying a little, but could you tell me if there's a way to measure whether Tysabri is working? I have a friend on it and he feels he's just treading water (nice allusion to the swimming thing, yes?) and wants to start abx instead.

I don't want to ask him too much, especially since MS isn't a good topic at work and people there don't know my situation, so maybe you can give me some insight?
The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems. Mohandas Gandhi
Frank
Family Elder

Post by Frank »

Hi MacKintosh,

when my neuro is tring to assess whether Tysabri is working the first thing he does is looking at the clinical progression / improvement of MS Symptomsl and how this patient altogether feels about being on Tysabri.
If Tysabri does not seem to work from that perspective they measure the Antibodies to Tysabri. About 6% of Tysabri Patient have them and they make the drug ineffective - so that might be a point for your friend.

Whether its related to the ABX course I did, cant never be said for sure, but I did not feel that well on Tysabri when I started it for the first time compared to now.

All the best
--Frank