Aubagio and Hair Loss side effect

Aubagio is an oral treatment approved for MS.

Re: Aubagio and Hair Loss side effect

Postby Rocksie » Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:05 pm

@tscott999 as you said everyone responds differently but from what my doctor said and by what I experienced it does resolve itself. I know I thought at first by the amount of hair coming out I knew for sure I would be bald but to be honest no one could really tell except for me (and my hairdresser). My husband finally admitted that when my hair was wet he could tell but when styled he saw no difference. It does progressive slow down little by little. I take Biotin 5000 mcg everyday from day one that I started Aubagio. It obviously didn't stop the hair thinning but I feel it has helped accelerate my regrowth. The new hair is about an inch and a half long now and as my hairdresser told me hair thickens the longer it gets. I had a follow up with my neuro last Thursday and he was impressed by the regrowth. As it was explained to me hair goes through growth cycles and Aubagio kinda puts the hair follicles to sleep faster then normal so more hair falls out then normally would. Once the hair follicles "reset" the hair grows back and now is under a new cycle with the Aubagio on board. Unless you are truly experiencing Alopecia ( bald spots with no hair) I would encourage you to hang in there. The drug seems to be virtually side effect free (make sure you get your blood draws monthly for first 6 months to check liver functions). Just remember you're not alone in this.
Rocksie
Getting to Know You...

Advertisement

Postby tscott999 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:06 pm

Thank you so much for your reply! I spoke with my doctor yesterday and she said the same, but it feels better coming from someone who actually has experianced it. I just need to be patient. I feel great so I could be worse off... I need to be thankful!!
tscott999

Postby DM » Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:47 pm

went for a haircut today. Hair was way too long. I was in shock what I saw, or should I say didn't see, on the top of my head. I knew over the past couple of years that it was thinning, but man, didn't think this bad. Could be age mixed with the drug but jeez, it is shocking. At least there is still enough to cover it up. This is what at least 4 years on the drug has done for me, maybe 6, but when the drug finally gets approved in Canada, and I am off the study, it will be time for a drug holiday, and see if the hair thickens up and grows back a bit. Otherwise, all is fine.
DM
Family Elder

Postby heike » Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:02 pm

Poor tabrantley! I feel very sorry for you and hope your hair are much better now maybe even back to the old standard. I don`t have this side effect (but others!) but I heard from people that the hair growth again when you stop taking the pills although it might take around 1 year or even more. Good luck for you!
heike

Postby shinyredsparkles » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:13 am

Heya! I started taking Aubagio in December 2012. My hair thinned out really badly at first... it came good for a while and then around the 6 month mark it started shedding again.
In the last 3 months though, it's FINALLY back to normal. I cut my hair off to shoulder length, dyed it a bit darker so it looks nice and thick. I have heaps of new growth so I don't think it's done any permanent damage. It was awful for a while though... for me it was one thing to feel sick, but I hated "looking" different, especially being a (relatively) young woman!
Happy I stuck it out now though as the treatment really suits my lifestyle. Good luck... happy to help if you have any other questions :)
shinyredsparkles
Getting to Know You...

Previous

Return to Aubagio (teriflunomide)