Anybody take Interferon and has no side effects?

A board to discuss the Multiple Sclerosis modifying drug Avonex
ElJacko
Family Member

Post by ElJacko »

I don't know, I don't think that they'll tell me until the trial is complete, in 12 months or so.

The permutations are:

1. was on placebo and now only have mild or no side effects, or
2. Was on real and don't get side effects

All that I do know so far is that I'm lucky enough to not get the nasty flu symptoms that some other people get. Fingers crossed that it continues this way
smokey
Family Member

Post by smokey »

Fingers crossed for you!! Let us know how you go.....
ElJacko
Family Member

Post by ElJacko »

Update:

I've had four jabs now and the "advertised" side effects are all there. 8 to 24 hours after the treatment I get headaches, high temperatures and chills and shivering, lasts abot 8 hours followed by a couple of days of feeling completely wipped out.

The good news I suppose is that I'm obviously not on a placebo anymore
smokey
Family Member

Post by smokey »

ElJacko wrote:Update:

I've had four jabs now and the "advertised" side effects are all there. 8 to 24 hours after the treatment I get headaches, high temperatures and chills and shivering, lasts abot 8 hours followed by a couple of days of feeling completely wipped out.

Sounds familiar! Although 2 years on, the side effects of the standard Avonex have lessened considerably.........hope your side effects ease off. Panadol is good!
smokey
Family Member

Post by smokey »

Sounds like it! Sounds familiar! Although I had distressing side effects for about 6 months, two years on they have significantly decreased. Hope yours ease. Panadol might help?
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Avonex side effects

Post by NHE »

Acetaminophen, Tylenol, might help. However, I found ibuprofen to be much more effective when I was taking Avonex. Try 400 mg at the time of your shot and then 400 mg as needed every 4 to 6 hours after that.

NHE
ElJacko
Family Member

Post by ElJacko »

Thanks for the tips guys, as part of the study we are directed to take paracetamol but I'll try some of the others as well.
lovebug
Family Elder

Re: Anybody take Interferon and has no side effects?

Post by lovebug »

I have been on Avonex for about 2 years. No side effects and no site reactions. Sometimes I think I am injecting candy......... I have no idea if it helps. But than again do any of us pwMS know if these DMD`s really work? I am trying to find out more about the `interferon blood test`...........
awdesigns8

Post by awdesigns8 »

I TAKE AVONEX ITS BEEN 1 YEAR NO FLU LIKE SIDE EFFECTS NEVER HAD THEM I DO WONDER MY SELF IF IS THE AVONEX OR THE VITAMINS I TAKE LOVE APRIL
ShootingStar
Family Member

Post by ShootingStar »

The only issue I've had in 4 months on Avonex is a generally "blah" feeling on the morning after. Otherwise, it's been fine. I miss Tysabri though. :sad:

~Kim in NV