why avonex?

A board to discuss the Multiple Sclerosis modifying drug Avonex
ga_kristy
Getting to Know You...

why avonex?

Post by ga_kristy »

what made you choose Avonex over the other CRABS? My son will have to start one soon, and Im torn between which one we should go with. His Dr. asked me to research them and decide. They both have good and bad sides. Side effects, times etc.

Maybe you all could give me more ideas on which one?
Thank you.

kristy
LindaR
Family Member

Post by LindaR »

My neuro actually chose Avonex for me. He thought that due to my lifestyle and the fact that I was very early into the disease Avonex would be best.

I have been taking Avonex for almost 2 years now. It took about 6=7 months for me to get over the side effects - but for me, even the side effects weren't that bad. Mostly aches and chills if I woke up in the middle of the night.

No major relapses and no new lesions since starting. I also take 4 mg. of LDN and supplements (Evening PrimRose Oil, Biliberry, Tumeric, Vitamin D., Multiple Vitamine, Flax seed Oil).
kareng7
Family Member

Post by kareng7 »

I've seen two neuros. One general neuro and one neuro who specializes in MS and works at the UCSF MS clinic. Both liked Avonex and had had good experiences with their patients on it. Both felt that the research favored Avonex overall, although they agreed it's hard to tell because there's a lot of information out there. So, based on the both of them recommending Avonex, I'm going that way.

That said, if I find I just can't tolerate whatever side effects I have, I'm going to try Copaxone. A friend just went on it because her neuro recommended it due to the lack of side effects.
I watch my husband shoot himself with Enbrel once a week for his psoriasis and psoriasis-related arthritis. We're a very needly family here. So shots, even daily ones, I can get used to. Losing a day a week to flu symptoms doesn't sound so great, so we'll see.

Remember, if your son doesn't tolerate Avonex after a sufficient period of time, you can switch to something else.
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Re: why avonex?

Post by NHE »

ga_kristy wrote:what made you choose Avonex over the other CRABS? My son will have to start one soon, and Im torn between which one we should go with. His Dr. asked me to research them and decide. They both have good and bad sides. Side effects, times etc.
Hi Kristy,
I've been reading your posts over the last few days and I thought it might be helpful for you to read through one of my earlier replies to a very similar question. I hope that this information will be helpful for you in dealing with this difficult time for your family.

Please feel free to PM me if you wish if you have any additional questions.

NHE

Return to “Avonex”