Avonex and CIS

A board to discuss the Multiple Sclerosis modifying drug Avonex
bromley
Family Elder

Avonex and CIS

Post by bromley »

http://c.moreover.com/click/here.pl?j501092293&w=464753

Perhaps if you started Avonex before the first CIS you might never get MS at all!

I imagine that Biogen must know that the FDA are going to restrict Tysabri to certain groups. So in future, once someone has a CIS they start on Avonex for five years, then when they develop MS proper they move to Tysabri, then once SP they can swap to Daclizumab or Rituximab. I'm starting to sound like my friend Harry Z :lol:

IanZ
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Avonex and CIS

Post by NHE »

Patients who began treatment with AVONEX immediately after their first attack had a 43% decrease in the risk of developing a second attack compared to those who began treatment on placebo...
An interesting result. I'm sure the stockholders will be happy...

However, the study that I would really like to see done is what can be achieved with supplements, lifestyle, and diet changes to postpone disease progression after a CIS. For example with lifestyle, for those who smoke, quit smoking; for those who don't exercise, begin moderate exercise, and get regular sleep. With respect to diet, reduce saturated fat and eliminate trans fat and other proinflammatory foods; add more fruits and veggies. With respect to supplements, how about omega-3 fatty acids; anti-inflammatory antioxidants such as lipoic acid, epigallocatechin gallate from green tea, and curcumin from turmeric; in addition lets not forget vitamins D & E. Surely, it would be easier to make these changes for 5 years than take a drug which has a retail cost of about $60,000 US for 5 years with particularly annoying side effects? OK, that was a rhetorical question. I'm not trashing Avonex, I take the stuff myself. I'm just annoyed that little appears to have been done in human trials to answer the above question about diet, supplements, and lifestyle. Of course, if I'm wrong then it would be great if someone could point me towards these studies. The only work that I've run into with some of the supplements I've mentioned has been with EAE models (although there have been some good results with lipoic acid in a small phase 1 trial it wasn't designed to answer the question of disease progression).

NHE
Brownsfan
Family Member

Breaking News from Biogen

Post by Brownsfan »

New study reveals that everyone should be taking Avonex, and the earlier the better. Biogen is working on a new version of their popular drug to be mixed into baby formula. Amazingly, babies who start on Avonex and suppress that pesky immune system, decrease their risk of developing MS by a whopping 75%! Call your insurance company now and place your order while supplies last!

Return to “Avonex”