who has experienced hair loss with Avonex?

A board to discuss the Multiple Sclerosis modifying drug Avonex
sh8un
Family Elder

who has experienced hair loss with Avonex?

Post by sh8un »

Hi everyone
I complained about my hair loss on "daily life" already but I just wanted to know who else out there on Avonex has lost thier hair??? Did you have to switch drugs? Did it stop after a while? How much of your hair did you lose?
Shayk
Family Elder

Post by Shayk »

Hi sh8un

I've been on Avonex about 2 1/2 years and I don't think it's contributed to any hair loss in my case, so I can't help with the exact questions you asked.

But, if I were you I'd be certain your gp checks for other medical conditions that might be causing it. Hypothyroidism is one which tends to be underdiagnosed, particularly in women.

Good luck trying to find out what's causing it.

Sharon
sh8un
Family Elder

Post by sh8un »

Hi Shayk,
Thank you for the post. I already went to the GP and he thinks it mostly likely is d/t stress because my tests were normal. He also said that it could be d/t MS but he said that is really rare. I just wante to be sure that there aren't others who have experienced it. I am sure people are now sick me and and my hair loss. I wanted to make sure I posted under the right section this time. With my last post I was just venting.
NN
sh8un
Family Elder

Post by sh8un »

Ok...so I just saw the earlier postings on hair loss. OOOps. I guess I missed that the first time. Sorry guys
Weena

Hair loss arrrgggg

Post by Weena »

I too have had a great amount of hair loss. I am on Avonex but can remember that this started after my flare before starting on A. When my scalp gets prickly I know I'm going to lose a bunch which I don't need because my hair is already thin enough on top.
My neuro and GP don't think it's drug related but as another poster said, possibly stress and the drug treatments aside from A. I think the steroid treatments, I had the taper dosage, then the 3 day infusion and another round of taper before I started on Avonex.

I am using a shampoo for fine/limp hair to volumize it somewhat. On days I don't go out I let it dry naturally so I don't aggitate my scalp further.

Good luck