Injecting in shoulder

A board to discuss the Multiple Sclerosis modifying drug Avonex

Injecting in shoulder

Postby Tbone » Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:29 pm

I was wondering if anyone here rotates their shoulders into their injection routine, and whether they use the 1 and 1/4 inch needle or the 1 inch (or anything else). Im thinking about getting my arms into the rotation since I feel as though my legs can use a longer break between shots.

Im receiving the shorter needles this week just in case I decide to do it in the arm. Im still not to sure I want to do it in the arm yet. My shoulders arn't very muscular, and Im afraid of hitting into bone. Furthermore, for whatever reason, I imagine the shoulder to be more painful.

Any replies/recommendations relating to shoulder injections would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Ted
Tbone
Family Member

Advertisement

Re: Injecting in shoulder

Postby NHE » Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:21 am

Hi Ted,
I've never given myself a shot in the shoulder so I don't know how well that might work. I imagine that it might be a little awkward at first. Anyways, I was wondering if you've checked with your doctor to get their feedback on shoulder injections. If you've already done this, then it would be great if you could share their comments. By the way, what problems are you having with your legs? Mine can get a little sore if I inject into the same area on the same leg two weeks in a row but they are usually OK if I alternate from one to the other every week. I inject in the upper part of the top side of the thigh a little off to the side as I've read that there's a lower chance of hitting a blood vessel by going off to the side.

NHE
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Postby Tbone » Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:58 pm

Hey NHE,

I experience pain, exhaustion and weakness in the legs stemming from the thighs. It isn't too bad, I was just hoping I could rotate my arms into it and maybe re-gain some strength.

No pharmacies in my area have the needles (1 inch with the thinner guage), but the MS alliance told me they would mail me some. When I get, and if I get the courage to inject into my arm, I will post my experience.

Thanks again,

Ted
Tbone
Family Member

Re: Injecting in shoulder

Postby NHE » Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:50 am

Here's a link to a document which covers different injection techniques. Hopefully, you might find the information in it helpful when you try the shoulder IM injection.

I haven't experienced the problems with my legs that you describe. From the above linked document, I discovered that I inject into the vastus lateralis muscle in my upper thigh.

NHE
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Return to Avonex