Depression and Betaseron

A board to discuss the Multiple Sclerosis modifying drug Betaseron
musicman

Depression and Betaseron

Post by musicman »

Hi all. I imagine this may have been covered but please bear with me. I have been experiencing an increase in depression since I started Betaseron. It's been three months now and my mood has steadily declined. Can this be attributed to this medication? I do have bipolar disorder and it was stable prior to starting betaseron. I'm going to talk to my neuro ASAP but thought I'd see what other folks have exerienced. Thanks in advance.
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Depression and Betaseron

Post by NHE »

musicman wrote:Hi all. I imagine this may have been covered but please bear with me. I have been experiencing an increase in depression since I started Betaseron. It's been three months now and my mood has steadily declined. Can this be attributed to this medication?
Yes.
musicman

Post by musicman »

Thanks NHE. I've talked to my neuro and he suggested stopping Betaseron immediately pending further reassessment. Aah, back to the drawing board I guess.
LR1234
Family Elder

Post by LR1234 »

I got depressed taking steroids for a relapse and I never get depression. I am sure Betaseron could have a similar effect.
Alexandra
Family Member

depression

Post by Alexandra »

I am not a depressed person at all and while taking steroids I had a very bad depression. I am on Avonex for 3 weeks now and I can already see a mood change, so for sure at the quantity of interferon you are taking on Betaseron is more then possible.
musicman

Post by musicman »

Thanks folks. I appreciate the comments. :)
oreo
Family Elder

Post by oreo »

Musicman, you left out a piece of important information. While you have implied that you started Betaseron about three months ago, you have not mentioned when you were first diagnosed with MS.
Carpe Diem
musicman

Post by musicman »

oreo, I was first diagnosed in 1991. Was on Copaxone for many years, then to Betaseron.