Betaseron Request

A board to discuss the Multiple Sclerosis modifying drug Betaseron
MSPatientFriend

Betaseron Request

Post by MSPatientFriend »

Dear Forum participants,

As my nickname indicates I am a friend of a person affected by MS. She lives in Cuba, and does not have access to internet. She was diagnosed with MS three years ago, and have been using Betaseson therapy since the beginning. The betaseron was subsidized by the Cuban Government since health care is free over there. However, the combination of a weak Cuban economy, the global economic crisis and political factors have created a problem with these subsidies, and she has not received new supplies for a few months now. A few friends and I have been trying to assist her with other palliative medications, but the high cost of Betaseron is prohibitive. Mu question to you is: Do you know of any organization or company that could help us to help our friend with her supply at a more affordable price? Any other idea is also welcome.
I would like to thank all of you in advance for your attention, and I wish you the best in the future.
surfbird
Family Member

Post by surfbird »

I can think of 2 things, that you have probably already thought of: trying the various MS organizations, like the National MS Society and see if they have any resources for you.

The other thing is contacting Bayer/Betaseron directly. I know they have patient assistance programs and they may be able to help. I'm sure the fact that it is international, let alone Cuba, will complicate things but you never know.

Oh, one other thing - there are people called Angel Investors. They typically invest in small businesses but basically they are people with good hearts and LOTS of money. Perhaps you can contact one of these people/organizations and find someone who can help. Or you could go to Oprah's Angel Network and see if that will give you anything.

Good luck!

Return to “Betaseron”