Post-injection pain?

A board to discuss the Multiple Sclerosis modifying drug Betaseron
surfbird
Family Member

Post-injection pain?

Post by surfbird »

I am still working my way through all my injection sites, and the last 8 of 10 injections have caused what feels like my muscle to be very sore at the injection site. It starts about 6 hours or so after the shot - i wake up in the night to find it hurts pretty bad. It has lasted anywhere from 24 hours to 5 days.

Has anyone else experienced this, and if so found relief? The Beta Nurse said she didn't really know what to tell me. I've tried pre and post icing, warm compresses, BenGay, pain killers...nothing really seems to help. In some sites the pain is less noticeable than others, but when it happens in my thigh....every step I take hurts.

It's not disabling pain and I keep telling myself that I should be glad I can feel it! But it sure would be nice to figure out how to make it stop because it's making me fear my injections.
Coolcatcarrie
Family Member

Post by Coolcatcarrie »

Hi, yeah a while ago I got pain in my leg, beta nurse didn't help me either. Went to the doc and she told me it was most likely a skin cell reaction, I don't use my leg for an injection site anymore -cos it really hurt and I could feel it when I walked for a long time -don't wanna risk causing more damage! And last night I did an injection in my tummy and the same thing happened! Right now it's real sensitive! Just started taking ldn and as soon as I get to the right level of that I'm coming off beta!!! :D
surfbird
Family Member

Post by surfbird »

Hi! Wow, I'm glad I'm not the only one...did it feel like a bruised muscle for you too? ITs weird because when I was on a .25 dose it only happened once, but as I increase my dose, it gets worse. The nurse said that has nothing to do with it though. I feel ignorant for asking, but what is Idn?
Coolcatcarrie
Family Member

Post by Coolcatcarrie »

Hi, yeh - like a bruised muscle! Really hurts! LDN is low dose naltrexone, not an injection and without side effects - feel really good on it, just wish I'd have known about it ages ago but neuro didnt tell me about it! Carrie
Sawdoggie
Family Member

Post by Sawdoggie »

Where I inject is sometimes slightly sore if I poke on it the next day. The injections do sometimes sting like hell, especially in my arms, but generally there is no pain after the injection is finished.
surfbird
Family Member

Post by surfbird »

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to post a follow-up to this now that many months have gone by. One night after an indulgent happy hour, I had to do my shot. I got a ride home and did it before going out for the rest of the night - and it was the first pain-free shot since they started hurting! I think the problem was that I was VERY tensed up when doing my shot, even though mentally I tried to relax.

I'll be honest and say that after I did that, I had a glass of wine before my shot for about a week. It worked every time. After that week, I was able to relax on my own, without any liquid assistance and I have been fine ever since. I think the pain has returned maybe 5 times since December 2010, and it's never been as bad as it used to be. At times an injection area will be sore to the touch for a couple of days, but it hasn't been a "pain with each movement" experience.

My point is - RELAXING HELPS EASE THE PAIN :D