Simply because Rice Flour is used in compounding the capsules, does not mean the Biotin is not "pharmaceutical grade". I have had a few other specific pharmaceuticals compounded, and they have always used a filler. Normally Avicel for Quick release, or calcium carbonate for slower release.ElliotB wrote:It is not pharmaceutical grade - it contains rice flour and titanium dioxide.
And is very expensive!
d) Filler is usually rice flour unless a special request is made. Rice
filler suits celiac patients or most patients with chemical sensitivities.
The tablets as a whole may not be considered "pharmaceutical grade biotin" by the dictionary definition, however, the actual Biotin within the tablets could be "pharmaceutical grade". Nearly all pharmaceuticals will contain some binders or fillers its the active ingredients that count and the ratio to the fillers that should be a source of concern. One of the manufactured medications that I use has only 3% active ingredient (street versions are 40-97% puree; too bad the other 3% is probably arsenic). This is "pharmaceutical grade" active ingredient, the other 97% is "pharmaceutical grade" fillers and binders. The manufacturers of medications nearly always use these. Even injections are usually buffered using saline.ElliotB wrote:By definition, pharmaceutical grade means that the product must be in excess of 99% purity with no binders, fillers, excipients, dyes, or unknown substances.
But the 100mg Biotin itself IS (may be) "pharmaceutical grade". How do you swallow your tablets? if you use a glass of water, then the biotin dose is no longer "pharmaceutical grade" by your simplistic view / definition. The statement is simply argumentative.ElliotB wrote:Adding anything to pharmaceutical grade biotin means it is no longer pharmaceutical grade.
So are all the pollutants in the air we breath, its a matter of weighing up the good and the bad and is also a completely different discussion. I personally have numerous tablets with these or similar fillers. These fillers are "considered" reasonably safe and are widely used. The dose will be considerably less than neutraceutricals.ElliotB wrote:This brand also contains Titanium Dioxide, which is classified as possibly being carcinogenic to humans:
Again, it IS probably "pharmaceutical grade" and the ratio between fillers and active ingredient will be MUCH higher than the standard 10000mcg neutraceutricals.ElliotB wrote:"Those taking Biotin in high doses should only take pharmaceutical grade.
Users browsing this forum: No registered users