Best Campath Candidates?

A board to discuss the soon-to-be released drug Campath as a treatment for Multiple Sclerosis

Best Campath Candidates?

Postby Looking88 » Tue May 03, 2011 6:00 pm

Are the best candidates for Campath young people with highly inflamatory MS?

I am hoping it has worked for those with few or no lesions also.

Thanks,
Looking88
Looking88
Family Member

Advertisement

Postby raven » Sat May 07, 2011 12:10 am

The most successful Campath recipients appear to be those with early stage aggressive RRMS it appears to be less or, non-effective for SPMS / PPMS.

HTH

Robin
Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
raven
Family Elder

Postby freiguy » Wed May 11, 2011 6:55 pm

Hey Robin how are you doing? I agree with you on this. I got in the trial right after I was diagnosed and so far so good.
freiguy
Family Member

Postby raven » Fri May 13, 2011 12:41 pm

I'm good, thanks. Trying to balance an extremely demanding job with a home life which in a way is testament in itself to the treatment.

I'm glad you got in early, It was 5 years after diagnosis before my first treatment and I still have residual defects which perhaps, had I been treated earlier, may never have happened. But, in the great scheme of things, I still consider myself extremely lucky to have been treated when I was. There is no doubt in my mind that without the intervention I would be in a far worse place right now.

Stay well.

Robin
Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
raven
Family Elder

Postby Looking88 » Fri May 13, 2011 5:59 pm

Thank you both Freiguy and Raven. So may I ask how long has your MS been stopped?
I have a loved one that has not been diagnosed yet, but I am very concerned. The only good thing is it does seem to be relapsing. I am examining all curative treatment options. Campath, MIST, HSCT.

I know there are people 10 years well with HSCT. Have any Campath users reached the 10 year mark?

Sorry for all the questions, and thanks.
Looking88
Looking88
Family Member

Postby raven » Fri May 13, 2011 11:31 pm

Hi looking,

I've been stable for 6 years (first treatment April 2005) The earliest that I know of is David Stuart who posts his story here: http://www.mult-sclerosis.org/DavidsStory.html . He is approaching the 10 year mark.

Regards
Robin
raven
Family Elder

Postby Looking88 » Sat May 14, 2011 6:15 am

Thanks for sharing Raven. A very inspiratonal page.

I think we are at the point where anybody newly diagnosed with RRMS should give Campath a shot (unless they want to try something stronger, such as Campath plus Rev-immune (the MIST trial)).

Regards,
Looking88
Looking88
Family Member

Return to Campath (Lemtrada, Alemtuzumab)