Campath results at ECTRIMS

A board to discuss the soon-to-be released drug Campath as a treatment for Multiple Sclerosis
bromley
Family Elder

Campath results at ECTRIMS

Post by bromley »

A couple of Campath results reported at ECTRIMS. I think there will be some more, but the abstracts are not yet available.

<shortened url>

<shortened url>
dignan
Family Elder

Post by dignan »

Impressive results, thanks for posting. I hope they can enroll patients in their phase 3 trials quickly to get it over with and make campath widely available.
bromley
Family Elder

Post by bromley »

Further data on Campath to be presented on Saturday and Sunday

http://c.moreover.com/click/here.pl?j11 ... 7&w=464753

Dignan,

I'll try and sneak out a vial of Campath when I go for my second infusion at the end of November.

In the meantime, will a box of chocolates do? I hope the Canadian postal service is better than the US. Poor old Brock ended up with an empty package. But given that he's 400 pounds, probably for the best.

Ian
bromley
Family Elder

Post by bromley »

Three year data from the Campath Phase II trial was announced today. Looks similar to the two year data. Following press article doesn't provide too much info, I'm sure more will be forthcoming.

Ian

http://c.moreover.com/click/here.pl?j11 ... 2&w=464753
Lyon
Family Elder

Post by Lyon »

bromley wrote:Three year data from the Campath Phase II trial was announced today. Looks similar to the two year data.
Hi Ian,
That's a good thing isn't it?
Bob
bromley
Family Elder

Post by bromley »

Bob,

I think it is. It shows that the effectiveness of the treatment lasts into the third year. The patients on the trial got a 5 day infusion at the start of year one and a three day infusion at the start of year two. They did not get an infusion at the start of year three. The patients taking Rebif would have injected themselves c.450 times in the period for much less efficacy. And many on the Campath have seen a reduction in EDSS. Giving a blood sample for testing once a month is a small inconvenience to pay for this level of efficacy.

I'm back in Cambridge at the end of November for my second infusion and will speak with those running the trials.

Ian
robbie
Family Elder

Post by robbie »

And many on the Campath have seen a reduction in EDSS.
What is the maximum EDSS you can have to qualify for the trial?
Had ms for 28 yrs,
8.5 EDSS
SPMS, 54 yrs old
Taking it day by day
Lyon
Family Elder

Post by Lyon »

bromley wrote:And many on the Campath have seen a reduction in EDSS. Giving a blood sample for testing once a month is a small inconvenience to pay for this level of efficacy.
I think it's certain that the situation regarding Campath is the same as that with Tovaxin in that the most a person can or should expect from Campath is for progression to stop. Sometimes the healing process will be able to reverse the degree of disability but the treatment shouldn't be judged by whether or not EDSS lowers.

To think that any of the treatments in the pipeline, or that we might see in our lifetimes, might not only stop MS progression in it's tracks but might also promote neuro protection, astronomically defies the odds and tortures logic. With that in mind, it sounds like Campath is doing as well as we could logically hope for.

Bob
bromley
Family Elder

Post by bromley »

Robbie,

The main issue is the stage you are at. Campath is only effective for RRMS. It was trialled initially with SPMS patients and did not have an impact in stopping progression.

I really hope you see some benefit from the abx regime. The stem cell trials which have started in the UK on human patients are initially with SPMS patients (as I understand it). Hopefully, this will provide another option for those with progressive disease. Another option is Lamotrigine, which is being trialled on SPMS patients as a neuro-protective agent. Hopefully, some early results will be reported next year on the stem cell and Lamotrigine trials.

My advice to you (friendly advice) - keep up with the abx, cut out the fags and booze, shave off the beard, get your hair cut, and prepare for a few more treatment options in the not too distant future.

All the best

Ian
Lyon
Family Elder

Post by Lyon »

bromley wrote:The main issue is the stage you are at. Campath is only effective for RRMS. It was trialled initially with SPMS patients and did not have an impact in stopping progression.
Ian,
I just showered and shaved about 15 minutes ago if that helps to gain your attention.

The conclusions Campath researchers arrived at regarding it not being effective for more progressive MS, were they based on exactly the same treatment you are on or are they based on studies which included stem cell replacement?

Bob
Frank
Family Elder

Post by Frank »

In the trial results I read that all patients in the trial received IV steroids (1g for 3 days). Does anyone know why the steroids are given?
All pts received 3 days of IV methylprednisolone at M0, M12, and M24.
--Frank
Treatment: Gilenya since 01/2011, CCSVI both IJV ballooned 09/2010, Tysabri stopped after 24 Infusions and positive JCV antibody test, after LDN, ABX Wheldon Regime for 1 year.
robbie
Family Elder

Post by robbie »

My advice to you (friendly advice) - keep up with the abx, cut out the fags and booze, shave off the beard, get your hair cut, and prepare for a few more treatment options in the not too distant future.
That is some great advice Bromley thanks, your a funny guy.
Had ms for 28 yrs,
8.5 EDSS
SPMS, 54 yrs old
Taking it day by day
raven
Family Elder

Post by raven »

The steroids are given because Campath causes the immune system to destroy T & B cells. The destruction of these cells causes a large release of pro-inflammatory cytokines. The steroids are there to mitigate the inflammatory effects of these cytokines during the infusion period.

(At least that's the explanation that the researchers gave me)

Robin
Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
Lyon
Family Elder

Post by Lyon »

Last edited by Lyon on Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
raven
Family Elder

Post by raven »

Hi Bob,

I'm still here, haven't fallen off the edge of the world just yet.

I don't visit this board often anymore because for me, MS has been reduced to a minor inconvenience. My legs still get tired if I push them too much and I still take Gabapentin for the neuropathic pain but that's about it.

Psychologically I feel that I don't have MS anymore, just some residual defects from a now thankfully passed disease. Intellectually I know that MS could raise it's ugly head again at any time, but I also know that I might be run over by the number 47 bus crossing the road tomorrow. Like the aforementioned bus I dont think about it and it doesn't bother me.

Instead I have been getting on with my life, I got married a few months ago. Ian and his lovely wife turned up to the wedding and it was very good to see that he is also doing really well. I have moved house and am spending my time doing that up. So between a new wife, new house, 1 dog and three cats I really don't have much time for MS.

Robin