Media Coverage on CCSVI!!!!!!!!!

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.
GuRu
Family Elder

Media Coverage on CCSVI!!!!!!!!!

Post by GuRu »

Last edited by GuRu on Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:42 pm, edited 6 times in total.
We must learn our limits. We are all something, but none of us are everything.
GuRu
RRMS Dx 07/09
Cece
Family Elder

Post by Cece »

Still no U.S.!! CNN, where are you?!
"However, the truth in science ultimately emerges, although sometimes it takes a very long time," Arthur Silverstein, Autoimmunity: A History of the Early Struggle for Recognition
GuRu
Family Elder

Post by GuRu »

Cece wrote:Still no U.S.!! CNN, where are you?!
They are still sleeping as well as German :)
GuRu
Family Elder

Post by GuRu »

AlmostClever
Family Elder

Post by AlmostClever »

"Milk for Mom MAY prevent MS in baby" is mentioned on Google News and not the CCSVI news?!?!

Amazing!?!? 8O
Last edited by AlmostClever on Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Al Einstein
GuRu
Family Elder

Post by GuRu »

One more Video

L
Family Elder

Post by L »

Oh, I started a similar thread , only mine was started a day later. I feel a bit slow..
GuRu
Family Elder

Post by GuRu »

L
Family Elder

Post by L »

The Sun is pretty positive, 'It's a Miracle Op'!

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/ne ... rosis.html

And KGO TV San Francisco

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?sectio ... id=7270566
walcat
Family Member

Post by walcat »

I saw the KGO site, in the article it states one person needed surgery to open up their chest to fish out a stent. This is the first I heard of this. I don't mean to be a downer, I'm still very excited about this!
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

BBC NEWS Brain blood vessels clue to MS

Post by jimmylegs »

AndrewKFletcher
Family Elder

Posted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:42 am Post subject: BBC NEWS Brain blood vessels clue to MS

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BBC NEWS Brain blood vessels clue to MS Wednesday, 10 February 2010
Author: Andrew K Fletcher
•2:29 AM
BBC NEWS
Brain blood vessels clue to MS Wednesday, 10 February 2010

More than 55% of multiple sclerosis patients have been found to have constricted blood vessels in their brains, a US study says.

The preliminary results are from the first 500 patients enrolled in a trial at the University of Buffalo.

The abnormality was found in 56.4% of MS patients and also in 22.4% of healthy controls.

The MS Society said it was intriguing but not proof that this caused MS - as one leading expert claims.

Testing theory

The New York researchers were testing a theory from Italian researcher, Dr Paolo Zamboni who claims that 90% of MS is caused by narrowed veins.

“ These results are intriguing but it is important to remember that although people with MS may show evidence of chronic cerebrospinal venous insufficiency in screening studies, there's no proof as yet that this phenomenon is a cause of MS, nor that treating it would have an effect on MS ”
Dr Doug Brown, MS Society

He says the restricted vessels prevent the blood from draining fast enough and injure the brain by causing a build up of iron which leads to MS.

He has already widened the blockages in a handful of patients including his wife.

MS is a long-term inflammatory condition of the central nervous system which affects the transfer of messages from the nervous system to the rest of the body.

The Buffalo team used Doppler ultrasound to scan the patients in different body postures to view the direction of venous blood flow.

The 500 MS patients, both adults and children, also underwent MRI scans of the brain to measure iron deposits in surrounding areas of the brain.

The full results will be presented at an American neurology conference in April.

There were 161 healthy controls.

'Cautious optimism'

Robert Zivadinov who led the study at the University of Buffalo, said he was "cautiously optimistic and excited" about the preliminary data.

"They show that narrowing of the extracranial veins, at the very least, is an important association in multiple sclerosis.

"We will know more when the MRI and other data collected in this study are available."

Dr Doug Brown, Biomedical Research Manager at the MS Society, said: "These results are intriguing but it is important to remember that although people with MS may show evidence of chronic cerebrospinal venous insufficiency in screening studies, there's no proof as yet that this phenomenon is a cause of MS, nor that treating it would have an effect on MS.

"The next step is to determine what this actually means for MS and an investigation into whether there's any potential therapeutic benefit from treatment will be pivotal for this novel theory."
Story from BBC
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/8509830.stm Video
Volunteer Moderator

SKY NEWS UK & Ireland

Post by jimmylegs »

irishmum
Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:20 am Post subject: SKY NEWS UK & Ireland

Report just on 4pm interviewing Martin Jones who had been treated in Poland by Dr Simka and team really informative & positive. Have to do school run

m

MurielC
Family Member
Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:27 am

Hi Maureen

I just saw it too - very exciting!

Let me see can I dig out the link for the article.

MurielC
Family Member
Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:28 am
<shortened url>

GuRu
Getting to Know You...
Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:15 pm

Edser
Family Elder
Posted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:54 am

Good Morning TiMS,
Why won't people respond to PM's
Slainte Mo Chara
Edser & Anna

MurielC
Family Member
Posted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:00 am

Edser did you send me a PM? I didnt get one - so I hope you're not talking to me - hope you're doing well!

Was on BBC this morning:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/8509830.stm
GuRu
Family Elder

More coverage

Post by GuRu »

We must learn our limits. We are all something, but none of us are everything.
GuRu
RRMS Dx 07/09
paulmur
Family Member

Post by paulmur »

SammyJo
Family Elder

US Media Coverage...Begins Now :-) ABC 7 San Francisco

Post by SammyJo »

It's been killing me not to tell y'all, but we did an interview with ABC. Thank you to Sherri Shelton White for contacting ABC 7 KGO-TV news. This will make it easier for everyone who is contacting the media. I think we'll be seeing more stories shortly.

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?sectio ... id=7270566
RRMS '95 SPMS '02 | CCSVI 10/09 | Adult stem cells 2012 | http://www.patientsforstemcells.org/