Buffalo Study-April

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.
thornyrose76
Family Elder

Buffalo Study-April

Post by thornyrose76 »

What's the next step with the Buffalo Study? What's coming in April, why will these results perhaps be more telling on ccsvi? Better equipment? Greater number of participants? (sorry, it's just not so clear!) :) :?
Billmeik
Family Elder

Post by Billmeik »

I think the fact that the study was double blinded and beyond any criticism for how it was carried out makes it important. Still my thoughts are that Z knows how to play politics and he's going to slowly get better and better results until he matches Zam and Simka. It's telling of how racist we are that Simka's study that was announced the day before buffalo (250 patients, 95% correlation) gets little discussion. I mean I'm not racist against american's but if anyone is going to rely on their expensive tools more than their basic training in anatomy it'll be us in NA. As to how politics come into science look at how they treated the 10% of borderline cases as negatives. If in doubt it's negative. Also look at how they never even announced the 80% on people with clinically diagnosed MS..perhaps its not politics, it's culture.
MS_Jess

Post by MS_Jess »

Hi Thornyrose,

My understanding is that they are continuing the analysis of the initial study group and will be reporting on additional findings from that study. I believe they will be looking at the MRV (if collected in Phase I, I am not sure) and iron deposits in the brain. Currently, they have only reported on the doppler findings.

April is the American Academy of Neurology meeting in Toronto so that is the target date for them to finish the analysis.

MS_Jess
Cece
Family Elder

Post by Cece »

There is a conference in April in which the full results of the current Buffalo study will be announced (the one which found 56% MS /22% controls). Included in the full results will be more information on other findings from that study, such as the 80% advanced m.s./38% CISers that was told by Zivadinov to a Canadian Press researcher but not included in the press release.
"However, the truth in science ultimately emerges, although sometimes it takes a very long time," Arthur Silverstein, Autoimmunity: A History of the Early Struggle for Recognition
NewHope
Family Member

Post by NewHope »

I completely agree that Dr Zivadinov is playing politics. It is not by chance that he is still working on CCSVI and conducting massive trials and making it possible for people to get tested. We see what is happening in Stanford even though Dr Dake had more than successful results! Evidently, one must plan one's moves very carefully in this field so that one doesn't get swapped away like Dr Dake did. I think if it were me I wouldn't make much noise and I wouldn't tease the people with vested interest so that I could reach my goal of proving CCSVI as undisturbed as possibly. I remember the first interview with Dr Zivadinov that I saw where he said he has no doubts CCSVI will be proven by his trial(s). And please correct me if I am wrong, but didn't he start building a large center? I believe he firmly believes in CCSVI but has to behave like not too much is happening so that they don't stop him from getting where he wants to get. In my opinion it's a brilliant strategy! It's like a war out there with the MS society, Big Pharma and the neurologist out there!
INONU
Getting to Know You...

Post by INONU »

Dr ZIVADINOV said:We believe our CCSVI studies
testing Dr. Paolo Zamboni’s
controversial CCSVI theory will
result in GROUNDBREAKING discoveries
in the field of MS.

What happened after , I don't feel that he is the same two days after
Be lucky all
my daughter ms'patient since 2001
thornyrose76
Family Elder

Post by thornyrose76 »

It's so upsetting, it should be about our lives and not petty politics. I guess the best approach from us is to keep questioning, keep making a fuss, bc if we don't no one else will!!!!
msgigiski
Getting to Know You...

Post by msgigiski »

Dr. Zivadinov may have issued his first report to highlight the importance of CCSVI in order to get it in as late breaking news in the April conference. The February 10th news letter just provides limited detailed information.

What I have gleaned so far has been 62.5% of affected MS patients have CCSVI and 80% of CDMS have CCSVI and 56% of all CIS patients have CCSVI.

What does this mean to me? Nothing currently as the research is still being done and the actual study reports have not been released. I will instead work on my patience skills as currently there may be little else I am comfortable with doing.
Dx 1988.
RRMS with permanent cognitive impairment
Permanent disability as of 4-2007