Katowice, Poland - balooning vs. stenting

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.

Katowice, Poland - balooning vs. stenting

Postby MAREK » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:57 am

hello ... am proudly informing that I have been so lucky to make an appointment for my procedure surgery on 1 March, in Katowice ... have been thus so excited too about the outcome on my mobility ... my question though to those already after the Katowice surgery is: what does the doctors' choice: balooning or stenting depend on? on veins' condition solely? or maybe on patient's will? ... thanks for making me wiser on this
MAREK

Advertisement

Postby Mutley » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:37 am

Hi MAREK,

I believe that the preference is for ballooning whenever possible. But if your particular issue wouldn’t benefit from ballooning (maybe the narrowing is too severe) you’d probably be offered a stent provided it could be done safely. I think safety overrides patient preference.

Best wishes.
Mutley goes to Poland 1st symptom was Optic Neuritis in 1998, DX RRMS Jan 2001, DX SPMS 2007. Last EDSS by doctor 7.5
Mutley
Family Elder

Postby Pepe » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:43 am

Hi MAREK,

I agree with Mutley. After talking with the two doctors after the intervention...I am of the same mind...

This is a short text of the Dr. Simka's presentation last week in Canada: "Stenting only if absolutely needed (ballooning unsuccessful) and if safe (not for areas with changeable diameter during Valsalva"

I hope this help.
Pepe.
María was Dx RRMS 1996. SPMS since 2003; Dx CCSVI by Dr. Simka on Dec.-2009; Balloon angioplasty on Jan.-2010 in Katowice (Poland); Betaseron (2000-2009); Tysabri since June 2009. BBD since 2003. IBT since Jan.-2010.
Pepe
Family Elder

Postby MAREK » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:38 am

thanks for the explainations ... this helps
MAREK

Return to Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency (CCSVI)