Georgetown Duke Studies

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.
mrsilkykat
Family Member

Georgetown Duke Studies

Post by mrsilkykat »

Does anyone know anything about the studies at Georgetown or Duke?

Are studies happening anywhere else?
Kat
jr5646
Family Elder

Post by jr5646 »

Haven't heard anything about Georgetown or Duke yet... I called Georgetown early on and never heard back from them...

Anything from Stanford??
FROM: HappyPoet - wrote:I urge anyone interested in having CCSVI testing and treatment (if indicated) to call Dr. Mehta's office at: 518-262-5640, which is located at 43 New Scotland Ave., Albany, NY, 12208.
http://www.thisisms.com/ftopict-9998.html (read about Dr. Mehta - Dr. Dakes friend)

They are shooting for March... I'm on the list and having a difficult time waiting. The staff are very nice, too.

Hope this helps...
lucky125
Family Elder

Post by lucky125 »

Georgetown in NOT doing a study. They are just testing and treating!

I don't know enough about their plan, but as a patient there, I can tell you that we have 2000 MS patients in the MS Center.

Don't know what that means for others trying to be seen there. I hope they can treat us all!
cathyb
Family Member

Post by cathyb »

Hi, Lucky!

Georgetown is NOT doing a study? Are you sure? The article I read says: 'Laredo told CTV News that his hospital is now planning to begin a study in a month with neurologists to screen MS patients for these abnormal veins and determine if there is a link between CCSVI and multiple sclerosis. They will be treating MS patients who are found to have CCSVI.'
see: http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/s ... hub=Health.
Is this article not correct? Has something changed?

I called Dr. Laredo's office to get my name on their list, but apparently they have had many people call, so I imagine their list is significant. I didn't hear back from Rebecca. I did, however, speak to someone 'in the know' (not part of GTown per-se, her husband works there) and she says the 'study' is going on, although she refers to it as a 'CCSVI research program'.

I get the sense that right now they're just taking calls, and putting together lists. Since you are part of the center there (are you with TornaTore (sp?))? Maybe you can set me straight?

Thank you!

Original thread I found on thisisms:
http://www.thisisms.com/ftopic-9981-0-d ... rasc-.html
lucky125
Family Elder

Post by lucky125 »

Cathy,

I think there is some confusion between the neuro and vascular depts at GU. My nurse in neuro told me explicitly that they are not doing a study. But I can understand that what Laredo said "on the record" contradicts that.

However it pans out, the good news is that you are on some list that may or may not be a study. You've got nothing to lose by being proactive, right?
cathyb
Family Member

Post by cathyb »

Yes, that is very true! :)

Thank you for the information, I really appreciate it! A friend of mine wants to plan a road trip to Buffalo, and I was debating not going because I have been awaiting word from GTown. Now I will not count on them (wasn't really going to anyway, since I'm just on a list, and that certainly doesn't guarantee anything.)

Thank you again, you've helped me a lot!
Cathy (Simsarian)