which STENT should be used.

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.
markus77
Family Elder

which STENT should be used.

Post by markus77 »

i have been doing a vast amount of research over the past few months and the same story keeps poping up. doctors would rather not use stenting because there is a chance of migration. ballooning is usually used first but many people have restenosed and require stents.

in this day in age i am sure a vein stent has been invented that does not migrate which leads to my question. has anybody done any research on the types of stents that can be used in the CCSVI procedure whether it be steel mesh or plastic coated? at this point this is the only issue that i am worried about.
STAY REAL MY FRIENDS

dx 1989, spms
Loobie
Family Elder

Post by Loobie »

I can't speak to what stents are good and not good. All I know is that I have three in my jugulars and they've all stayed put. I think Dake did over 60 people and did have one migrate, but that was after he sized down due to accessory nerve 'banging'.

I don't know about you, but the 40 odd percent of restonosis told me that I'd have to keep going back, or at least have almost a 50/50 chance of it. Constant 'vein maintenance' could get expensive. That's why I'm glad I got the stents.
Johnson
Family Elder

Post by Johnson »

Hi Loobie,

Do you have any idea how long your type of stents are expected to last? I have not been able to find any info. on that. I hope to be alive for another 30 or 40 years, or more, and I wonder how the hardware will hold up. I think stents have only been around for about a decade, so obviously no data beyond that, but was there any discussion with Dr. Dake around that?

How often do you need to go for follow-up, and would those visits be for the rest of one's life?

Do you know if the stents become fused with the vein through endothelial growth? Could they be removed in the future?

I get you on the repeating ballooning possibility, but if the research turns up other ways to deal with stenosis that contra-indicate the stents, or are an alternative, I might not mind paying twice.

I suppose that everyone is leary of stents, for various reasons, but if I have to make that decision on the operating table, I want to be as informed as possible. Has anyone asked these questions of the surgeons?
My name is not really Johnson. MSed up since 1993