Stents in Neck as Good as Surgery to Prevent Stroke

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.
bohemianbill
Family Member

Stents in Neck as Good as Surgery to Prevent Stroke

Post by bohemianbill »

Interesting read, my take is that the health system is about to authorize stenting as a preventative measure to prevent strokes:)

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid= ... yqgUvQw03U
tazbo
Family Member

Post by tazbo »

http://www.webmd.com/stroke/news/201002 ... ing-stroke
I agree with those that believe we ms'rs will get a fresh new look from the medical world once we get more vascular dr. interest in the way to treat m.s.
Ruthless67
Family Elder

Post by Ruthless67 »

Here's another link to a good article about the safe & effective use of stents neck "arteries". This came out earlier in the week in the local Napa, CA newspaper, but I also found it online this AM.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100226/ap_ ... eck_stents

Lora
shye
Family Elder

Post by shye »

I'd much rather use EDTA infusions (and good diet) to clear the arteries than have stents inserted :lol:
fraser
Family Member

Post by fraser »

Are there any alternative therapies (such as chiropractic treatment, etc.) that can help clear or lessen stenosis in the veins instead of using a stent/ballon angioplasty? We are going to Poland next week, and am only now reading about the complications - I want to be armed with as much info as possible. Also, can stents be easily removed from a vein if there are problems? I did read on this site about someone who was worse off after the procedure because the of new stenosis that occurred just above where the stent was placed. Seems like there are many more good stories than bad.
Johnson
Family Elder

Post by Johnson »

The article is about stents in the arteries of the neck, as opposed to the veins. There are some important differences; arteries narrow along line of flow, and veins widen. and arteries are a lot "tougher" than veins.

Another thing to consider is the age of those subject to stroke being, on average, a fair bit older than most of us were when DX'd (or are now). A lot of the stroke patients don't have another 40 or 50 years to look forward to. I wonder at the long-term benefits/problems of stenting the veins.

Still, 40 or 50 years of decline is not a lot to look forward to. Twenty years without problems might be a good trade-off/
My name is not really Johnson. MSed up since 1993
dunkempt
Family Elder

Post by dunkempt »

Still, 40 or 50 years of decline is not a lot to look forward to. Twenty years without problems might be a good trade-off
Yeah, I was just talking about this. The next 20 years are the 20 years my children are growing, the 20 years I can expect to do most of my remaining good work.

Obviously these are all unknowns, and it's not that simple. But as a sort of heuristic - if that was the trade, I wouldn't blink before I made it.

-d
dx rrms august 2009 (dx CFS spring 1988) off avonex after 3 months
treated katowice 24-25 march 2010 - best thing that ever happened - check tracking thread
Vhoenecke
Family Elder

Post by Vhoenecke »

I would love 20 years without problems. Kids would be out on their own, married, done college. I would do just about anything for 20 years.

Val
Johnnymac
Family Elder

Post by Johnnymac »

fraser wrote:Are there any alternative therapies (such as chiropractic treatment, etc.) that can help clear or lessen stenosis in the veins.
Be careful of chiropractic therapy for the neck One of the very first things we were told when Courtney was diagnosed was to not let a chiropractor torque her neck, because of the fragility of the veins and the possibility of causing stenosis which could lead to stroke. Granted this was from a neuro but it made sense the way he described it. He said no concerns on chiro of the back, but just said be careful around the next.