Thalassemia minor, anyone? Or Anemia?

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.

Thalassemia minor, anyone? Or Anemia?

Postby Merlyn » Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:40 am

Do we have anybody that has been diagnosed with this condition? And is anyone that has been diagnosed with this treating it as an iron loading anemia?
Merlyn
Family Elder

Advertisement

Postby ErikaSlovakia » Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:19 pm

Hi Merlyn!
Well, you maybe remember my Ferritin was too low (10,4). It is not dramatic but the hematologist has decided to do more tests on March 12.
meanwhile I take ferrosi sulfas pills twice a day.
Erika
Aug. 7, 09 Doppler Ultras. in Poland, left Jugul. valve problem, RRMS since 1996, now SPMS,
- Nov.3,09: one stent in the left jug. vein in Katowice, Poland, LDN, never on DMDs
- Jan. 19, 11: control venography in Katowice - negative but I feel worse
ErikaSlovakia
Family Elder

Postby Ruthless67 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:44 pm

Merlyn,

In looking up information about Thalassemia minor, I was fascinated by how prevalent it is in the Mediterranean countries, especially Italy. I’ve been on my own personal journey along with so many to find answers for my MS now for over 12 years. I sincerely hope CCSVI is just the tip of the iceberg and that research there is going in the right direction.
And like many, I’ve run the gamete of treatments, supplements, etc. I believe based on when I applied to Stanford that I will be one of the lucky ones to be in the trials later this summer. I feel a little like I won the “Golden Ticket” for the Willy Wonka Chocolate Factory tour.
But I still find all this information so interesting and compelling. So anyway, while looking at Thalassemia minor I came across this article and found it interesting too.
Why can’t we get these researchers to share their ideas not just in journals but in the lab! This article was published just last month and I believe they still have a grant for two more years of research, sponsored by the Italian Association of Multiple Sclerosis (AISM). I realize it’s the same ole’ autoimmune hypothesis once again, and that their research is to develop a vaccine, but who knows, we still need to see if we can fix any of the ravages on our bodies from this disease. Could sure use some of those research funds from Rome thrown Dr. Zamboni’s way!

http://www.news-medical.net/news/201002 ... hesis.aspx

Respectfully,
Lora
Ruthless67
Family Elder

Postby Merlyn » Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:01 pm

Erika-of course I remember you! And I am glad that you are pursuing the full iron question. As I remember, you did not only have low ferritin, you have high iron in the blood... let us know what the hematologist finds. Can you ask him if you might have iron loading anemia? Thanks so much!
Merlyn
Family Elder

Postby Merlyn » Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:06 pm

Ruthless67-the thing is, if there is a bunch of iron in the brain, it would set us up for any possible kind of viral or bacterial complications. They feed on iron. Once again, researchers seem to study the umpteen effects of heavy metals, but sort of forget about the heavy metals themselves. I have been trying to find out whether the Norwalk virus feeds on iron because after I had that horrible virus, I had three days of spasticity free life, it was totally bizarre. Now I suspect that if it reduced some iron ore make it unavailable or something, that would explain my reaction. Some things are too weird to figure out.
Merlyn
Family Elder

Postby Ruthless67 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:18 pm

Meryln,

I looked up the Norwalk virus and that's what it sounds like my kids got on their Disneyland Cruise over this past New Years. Sounds like it is definately a problem for enclosed areas such as cruise ships, schools, offices,....life in general when you come in contact with others.

Another good reason to wash your hands often when in public and to wash your produce well and eat organic and at home when possible.

Good luck on your search to see if the virus feeds off of iron. There is still so much to learn.

Lora
Ruthless67
Family Elder

thalassemia minor and MS

Postby Proeteus » Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:49 am

I have been looking into this also. I was diagnosed with MS in Oct of 2009. i have been having symptoms for the last ten years. i also suffer from Chronic Hives during this time so i have been looking into many different causes.

What i found is that i do have Thalassemia minor. I am looking more into the possibility or role that it may play in MS.

Proe
Proeteus

Return to Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency (CCSVI)