Does Inclined bed therapy improve MS patients mobility?

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.
adamt
Family Elder

Does Inclined bed therapy improve MS patients mobility?

Post by adamt »

Hi,

I read that 'Inclined Bed Therapy ' is used by MS patients.
I understand it is simply sleeping upright from the waist upwards, i guess to improve the blood flow with the neck veins.

I dont ever get headaches/cognitive /brain fog etc.
My symtpoms are mobility , balance, legs strength, stiffness when first standing, low libido, weight loss and bladder urgency.

In the morning when i wake up my mobility is significantly better than it is in the evening - balance and leg strngth. althought stiffness is always there, but only occurs when first standing for about 4-5 seconds.
As the day goes on my mobility deteriorates.

I have read people doing this therapy recieving benefits in headaches, but i dont get them, so does it benefit my other symptoms?

If you used I.B.T. has it improved your mobility, if so by how much, and how long did it take to start seeing improvements?

- - - if i do the I.B.T and my mobility improves would that suggest i have CCSVI?

- - by the way i have taken 2mg LDN for the last 2 years and my progressive ms , has NOT got any worse since starting, so maybe I.B.T. wont help me?

thank you
gibbledygook
Family Elder

Post by gibbledygook »

Hi AdamT,

I also don't have headaches/brain fog etc. I've been using the IBT since Feb or May of last year. When I started using IBT I felt it improved modestly night time bladder control. However I don't think it has ever had an impact on walking/spasticity. I had the stents placed in June last year and for the non-pregnant months after that i noticed a mild improvement in spasticity. The stents had a dramatic effect on bladder control and night spasms and a modest effect on spasticity. Unfortunately I've now lost all those improvements since pregnancy.
3 years antibiotics, 06/09 bilateral jug stents at C1, 05/11 ballooning of both jug valves, 07/12 stenting of renal vein, azygos & jug valve ballooning,
adamt
Family Elder

Post by adamt »

thank you gibbydygook for sharing.

So i think this I.B.T. is at least worth trying to see if anything improves.

Where did you find instructions on how to set your bed up into the correct position?

thanks again
Algis
Family Elder

Post by Algis »

Please visit:

http://andrewkfletcher.com/

Best of luck to you :)

Algis
Vhoenecke
Family Elder

Post by Vhoenecke »

My advise is to start at a small incline. 2 to 3 inches lift of the head of the bed.

Val
AndrewKFletcher
Family Elder

Re: Does Inclined bed therapy improve MS patients mobility?

Post by AndrewKFletcher »

adamt wrote:Hi,

I read that 'Inclined Bed Therapy ' is used by MS patients.
I understand it is simply sleeping upright from the waist upwards, i guess to improve the blood flow with the neck veins.

I dont ever get headaches/cognitive /brain fog etc.
My symtpoms are mobility , balance, legs strength, stiffness when first standing, low libido, weight loss and bladder urgency.

In the morning when i wake up my mobility is significantly better than it is in the evening - balance and leg strngth. althought stiffness is always there, but only occurs when first standing for about 4-5 seconds.
As the day goes on my mobility deteriorates.

I have read people doing this therapy recieving benefits in headaches, but i dont get them, so does it benefit my other symptoms?

If you used I.B.T. has it improved your mobility, if so by how much, and how long did it take to start seeing improvements?

- - - if i do the I.B.T and my mobility improves would that suggest i have CCSVI?

- - by the way i have taken 2mg LDN for the last 2 years and my progressive ms , has NOT got any worse since starting, so maybe I.B.T. wont help me?

thank you
Hi

First of all the bed needs to be fully inclined, not half the bed raised and the legs flat. The reasoning can be found in the FAQ on the IBT forum.

Please compile a journal and report any changes. Link at end of this post.

There is a lot of information on my website along with reports from both pilot studies, which confirm many benefits can be obtained, not just headaches but significant ms symptom relief, including mobility and sensativity return.

Read foreversprings reports on this forum and others in the Inclined Bed Therapy threads.

The only way to find out for sure is to tilt your bed by raising the head end six inches / 15 cm's, but as Val advises, better to begin at a 4 inch incline.

As for the stent operation producing significant improvements, there is evidence on the CCSVI tracking thread that this is not always the case for a lot of people who have undergone the procedure. However, stability in ms alone should be seen as an improvement and there is ample evidence to support this.

If it was just a stenosis problem that was initiating ms symptoms and a patient has undergone the stent / angioplasty, we should not see symptom return following surgery, yet I have read a number of reports confirming this to be the case. It is suggested that re-stenosis might be the problem and several have reported repeat surgery and symptom relief following it. But the question remains what causes the re-stenosis and indeed what caused the stenosis. Some have now argued it is congenital. Yet in a thread on this forum tests have shown stenosis in a person and no stenosis in the same person.

It would be prudent to try IBT first for at least 4 months before undergoing surgery.

Andrew
Inclined Bed Therapy (IBT) | http://www.inclinedbedtherapy.com
Sleeping Inclined To Restore and Support Your Health For Free. Fascinating Science, Discovery, History and Medical Research In Circulation And Posture.
adamt
Family Elder

Post by adamt »

thanks everyone for the replies.

I looked at andrews site, and i just need to get two wooden battons to place under the middles and top of the double bed.

i appreciate some have said to start at 4"/2" , but this would mean getting more wood cut,
would it be ok to start straight away with 6"/3" ? or could i suffer asa result?

thanks
AndrewKFletcher
Family Elder

Many people go for the full incline and many find it presents few problems.

But some have found the full incline causes discomfort and this leads to apprehension. But the good thing about IBT is that you can and should experiment with the angle to find your comfort level to get accustomed to the differences.

Quite a few people have tilted the beds expecting nothing to happen and have been pleasantly surprised within as little as 4 weeks finding significant improvements.

The only expectation from myself is that anyone using IBT should feel a duty to share his or her experiences with others and the best way to do this is to keep a journal.

Feel free to ask questions and I will try to answer them or direct you to answers already provided elsewhere.

Andrew
Sleeping Inclined To Restore and Support Your Health For Free. Fascinating Science, Discovery, History and Medical Research In Circulation And Posture.
adamt
Family Elder

Post by adamt »

thanks Andrew, one thing:
AndrewKFletcher wrote:Many people go for the full incline and many find it presents few problems.
When you say it 'presents FEW problems' , what kind of problem should i expect?

is it just the problem of getting used to sleep in that position, or is it a different problem?

thanks
AndrewKFletcher
Family Elder

Problems some attribute to short term use of IBT

1. Getting used to sleeping on an incline.
2. Getting in and out of an inclined bed.
3. Lighter sleep
4. Aching like you have done lots of exercise
5. stiff neck and aching joints
6. Aching back due to traction, hence the need to get used to it on a lower incline.
7. Where there is an oedema problem, increased initial urination frequency as the body pulls the fluids back from the tissue into the Venus return and out through the bladder.
8. Detox on IBT can cause some dizziness while the salts and metals stored in the body are moved through the circulation and migrate towards the bladder. This is the principle behind IBT. Solutes (dissolved substances) alter the circulation and change pressures in vessels.
9. Some initial short term increase in oedema showing around the ankles, again generally due to an established pre IBT problem.
10. Fear of the unknown or apprehension.
11. Partner reluctant to continue sleeping on an inclined bed.
12. Lots of people saying you must be bonkers to expect sleeping on an inclined bed will do anything.

Long term use:

1. Increased spasm prior to some nerve restoration
2. sharp stabbing / shooting / electrical pains moving around, usually in legs, feet, hands and arms. Again prior to some recovery and indicating some nerve pathways are opening up.
3. muscles aching and becoming denser and stronger.
4. Some people have discovered tooth decay below the gum line, where the nerves were not producing the signals of pain back to the brain, find they suddenly begin to fire up.
5. sweating, again possibly due to detox and partly due to increased circulation.
7. You become an Inclined Bed Therapy Messenger and spend many hours of many days trying to convince others to follow your example and get frustrated by people dismissing it out of hand.
:D

Check out the parameters post on the IBT forum for additional things to monitor.

Andrew