Urgent advice needed please. Poland or Bulgaria?

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.

Urgent advice needed please. Poland or Bulgaria?

Postby skincoll » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:58 am

Hi all,

I hope that you will be able to help us. My boyfriend has received an appointment date for June to have the liberation procedure in Bulgaria! :D
We are also very lucky to be on the waiting list for Dr Simka (ETA June), but with no fixed date yet. Whilst we realise that this is a great situation to be in, we don't want to clog up either waiting list when there are others in need. So need to decide which one to go for, but we are confused as to which one:
Bulgaria is offering an actual date but there has not been any feedback from overseas patients as of yet as to whether or not their method works. Essentially the difference in the procedures seems to be CT (Bulgaria) vs MRV (Poland) scans, as well as the track record of success the Polish team has.

Could anyone give any advice as to what they would do in this situation?

Many thanks indeed!
skincoll
Family Member

Advertisement

Postby Rokkit » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:03 pm

If it were me, I'd go to Poland. Simka has a lot more experience. However, I don't think I would let them do anything to my IJV valves at this point unless they really thought it necessary until this situation with Rici gets completely figured out.
Rokkit
Family Elder

Postby ErikaSlovakia » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:06 pm

I would also choose Poland in this case. They have more experience. Dr. Simka started to work on this in 2006.
Erika
Aug. 7, 09 Doppler Ultras. in Poland, left Jugul. valve problem, RRMS since 1996, now SPMS,
- Nov.3,09: one stent in the left jug. vein in Katowice, Poland, LDN, never on DMDs
- Jan. 19, 11: control venography in Katowice - negative but I feel worse
ErikaSlovakia
Family Elder

Postby skincoll » Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:13 pm

Many thanks for your responses guys, and all the best to you.

Anyone else reckon Bulgaria?
skincoll
Family Member

Postby L » Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:24 pm

CT scans aren't the healthiest things in the world..
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB126082398582691047.html
L
Family Elder

Postby skincoll » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:37 am

Thanks for that link L. I'd heard they weren't that safe (although I had one a few years back, doh!)
skincoll
Family Member

Postby frodo » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:26 am

skincoll wrote:Many thanks for your responses guys, and all the best to you.
Anyone else reckon Bulgaria?

It depends on how much in a hurry you are. If you can wait, take Poland. If you are in hurry, take Bulgaria.
frodo
Family Elder

Postby Vhoenecke » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:46 pm

Hi Frodo,

I am going to Bulgaria in July, I too have Oct. at Euromedic in Poland. I am waiting to hear of people coming back from Bulgaria. I think I am leaning towards Bulgaria until I hear something bad. That hospital looks quite good and I am sure they are good surgeons there too. They won't want a bunch of bad press as this is a lot of money to them. All the best in your decision making.

Val
Vhoenecke
Family Elder

Return to Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency (CCSVI)