Georgetown doppler - EXTRA cranial

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.

Georgetown doppler - EXTRA cranial

Postby SaintLouis » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:00 pm

I just noticed on the Georgetown website they specifically state they will do an extracranial doppler to test for CCSVI...doesn't it need to be a transcranial doppler to really be able to find the reflux? I'm wondering if it would just be a waste of money?

Argh.
SaintLouis
Family Elder

Postby lucky125 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:05 pm

I think that that is a very fair question, SaintLouis. I showed reflux in both of my IJVs at GU. And they found bilateral stenosis during the venogram.

I know of a patient who only showed reflux in right IJV in a GU ultrasound. During this person's recent liberation they found moderate stenosis on the right, and SIGNIFICANT stenosis in two places in the LEFT. The US missed it entirely!

I am now even more skeptical of the ability of US to genuinely detect stenosis. My doc already doubts the accuracy of MRV due to the high incidence of artifacts.

I am starting to believe that as more veongrams are done, the numbers of MSers with stenosis is going to stay over 90%. Then the only evidence a doc will need to justify venogram is a positive MS dx.

I haven't seen a bill yet, but I bet that the venogram still costs less than 6 months worth of CRABs!

Just my humble opinion.
Liberated at Georgetown U. 3/3/10. Subsequent procedures at U of Maryland with Dr. Ziv Haskal 7/30/10, 12/2/10, 5/11/11. http://myliberationadventure.blogspot.com
lucky125
Family Elder

Return to Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency (CCSVI)