Some more notes from abroad (Poland)

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.
moochsid
Family Member

Re: meds after procedure

Post by moochsid »

annie66 wrote:Hello,

I am curious to know if medication is required after the procedure, and if so which medication is it. Do you need health insurance coming from Canada to get meds or do we pay cash

Any help would be appreciated as my boyfriend heads to Poland May 26-27.
Thank you
Everyone as a matter of course gets a post-op prescription.There's a pharmacy right behind the hotel. European Health card holders get a substantial discount but don't know about Private/ Canadian schemes perhaps one of the Canadian post operatives can chime in here.

Prescription is for
6 daily injections of Fraxiparine (Nadroparinum calclium)
Self injected into sub cutaneous belly flab.

6 weeks of each
Helicid (Omeprazolum)
Areplex (Clopidogrelum)
and small dose aspirin for life.

Perhaps if you google these names and constituents you may find the Canadian equivalents and see if you get local prescriptions more favourably.

I am not sure about Aspirin for life and will take this up with Dr Gilhooly at next visit to Essential Health clinic in Glasgow. He is a firm advocate of Omega 3 which thins the blood anyway so aspirin might be gilding the lily.
moochsid
Family Member

Re: meds after procedure

Post by moochsid »

Trent, perhaps your stenting enquiries might be better served on the thread Problems of angioplasty and stents which is a sticky above.
http://www.thisisms.com/ftopict-8984.html

I spent long hours agonising over this too but in the end i think you have to trust to the doctors.They always try balloons first and if there's no success they resort to stents. However at least with a stent the chance of restenosis seem slimmer.
Downunder
Family Member

Post by Downunder »

Trent, I have answered as a PM.

Regards DU
livabird
Family Elder

Post by livabird »

TRENT THE SELF INJECTIONS OF FRAXIPRINE PLS EXCUSE TYPO PROB FORGOT THOTHER OPTION AS IE NAME. IS THEIR ANY ALTERNATIVE AS I AM SEVERELY UNDERWEIGHT AND HAVE READ THAT BECAUSE OF THIS IT ISN'T A GOOD IDEA.

LIVA
annie66
Getting to Know You...

Post by annie66 »

thank you Moochsid, I appreciate your time and information

Suzanne
Trent
Family Member

Post by Trent »

Has anyone in the UK had success getting a venogram with dye to show stenoses through their GP? If so, on what grounds was it achieved?

Zamboni reported that PPMS was more difficult to treat as the blockages were near/in the spinal column. Is this to do with the azygous vein? If not, then where?

Have PPMS patients been treated in Poland, and if so how does this square with Zamboni's findings?
costumenastional
Family Elder

Post by costumenastional »

Trent, i think the most serious problem with some patients (ppms or not) is atresia. Some patients were found with incomplete developed vertebral plexuses and this is something than cannot be treated so far.
On the other hand the Azygos vein itself actually seems to be the most cabable of keeping it's form once balloon angio has taken place thus IJVs are more prominent for stending.
Trent
Family Member

Atresia

Post by Trent »

Thanks for that costumenational
xia
Family Member

Post by xia »

Hey Kevin and Iza,
Hope you are both well. I hope things are continuing to improve :)
I am now able to take a few steps unaided but it looks like I'm drunk!! Still its a start :)
I hope Iza gets to dance to aarons CD soon, what did you think of it?
Off for a scan tomorrow, managed to get a vascular surgeon to look into CCSVI but because of NHS waiting lists I got an appoint for after Poland! We'll see what happens and what they make of my Polish results... Hopefully they'll review me in 6 months so I dont have to go back to Poland can't afford aaron to hit that record shop again!! :)
Take care
xia
moochsid
Family Member

Post by moochsid »

Hi Xia
Second week has been a bit up and down. Took advantage of the sunshine to take Iza and the dogs over the park and when my back was turned she went over and managed to land on the only two concrete slabs in the whole place. So a bruised bum and pride to add to the bruise on her leg which is shaped like the map of Africa and almost as big as the continent.
Still a lot of the improvements are holding but there are definite hiccups as was to be expected I suppose. It's too easy to get carried away with the initial euphoria and think everyday is going to be a quantifiable improvement. So the park trip has brought us down literally with a bump a little bit.

Did you get a definitive answer re follow up in Poland?? I got a bit of a vague response about that one and was told to try later to see what the situation was.
Good luck with your exams but at least you don't have to worry about restenosis with both sides stented I suppose
Look forward to hearing what they say.
Like the cd,it's a lot more melodic and spatial than i expected. From Aaron's enthusiasm about eastern european 70's jazz i was expecting much more skronking skwawking and squealing sax stuff. Will definitely work on Iza hip swaying to it on a daily basis.

Return to “Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency (CCSVI)”