MS Society of Canada webcast on CCSVI -- text notes

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.
happy_canuck
Family Elder

MS Society of Canada webcast on CCSVI -- text notes

Post by happy_canuck »

Here is the discussion thread from Facebook that several of us did while the webcast was on. Summaries of all questions and answers are included (I hope the one next week goes better!):

CCSVI at UBC MS Clinic - Information and Support This fellow (Yves) wrote the most hostile comments right after W5 aired. The MS Society took it down a week or so later and softened it, but his message at the very beginning was insulting.

CCSVI at UBC MS Clinic - Information and Support Dr. Murray is glossing over Buffalo -- the 56% figure isn't about just multiple relapsing patients.

CCSVI at UBC MS Clinic - Information and Support I get the feeling this is all building towards bad news, i.e., not a call for widespread testing, just more of the same "wait and see" message.

CCSVI at UBC MS Clinic - Information and Support Now he's talking cost/benefit of therapy (i.e., treatment). It all comes down to $

Tessa Rushton apparently money is more important than helping us now!

Brenda Raven that's it, they're fired!!!

CCSVI at UBC MS Clinic - Information and Support Q: why won't doctors make referrals for testing?
A (DR. Murray): CCSVI procedure carries risks (he dwells on the complications...ugh). Testing requires specialized equipment that isn't available. He says drs won't make a referral if no treatment is available. Must be part of a study.

Lori Lumax sooo frustrating!

Tessa Rushton Dr Murray gave incorrect facts & is so politically driven it is obvious! Not impressed. Where are the people who had success when they received the procedure in Poland?

Kevane Bona Stronge of course...push the drugs!! not liking this dr.murray much at all!! ..I am not a doctor and I have done my research and YES there have been spms patients out there that are seeing some benefits...they did not prepare for this at all!!!

Tessa Rushton MS Society - STOP patting your own backs & talk about the issue!

CCSVI at UBC MS Clinic - Information and Support Q: why is the MS society contributing so little for research?
A (Yves): the $200,000 over 2 years is per project. They let "good science" drive how much they allocated for CCSVI. MS society will give the $ to all projects that meet "good science" criteria. He says they have made extraordinary efforts to accommodate CCSVI research because these projects missed the usual deadline. This was a result of grassroots demands from people (like us!). To get multimillions, multiple institutions need to come together -- CCSVI research can apply for this major funding too. He says Canada was first to make a commitment -- project will be announced in June.

Tessa Rushton They are currently NOT answering a question I submitted! LOL

CCSVI at UBC MS Clinic - Information and Support Q (from Tessa?? Is that you?): Why can't testing be done?
A (Karen Torrie-Racine): I will only get tested as part of a clinical trial. A (from Dr. Murray): no accepted protocol for testing. If treatment isn't going to be done for another year or so, the surgeon would need new tests anyway. Getting a test now isn't helpful.

Julie Way No protocols for the testing??? Has this Dr Murray been living under a rock?

CCSVI at UBC MS Clinic - Information and Support Q: If my veins are blocked, what is the risk for me to live without treatment for these blocked veins?
A: We don't know the answer to that. 25% of people in non_msers have blocked veins and they seem to be OK. CCSVI may be associated with MS, but it may not be the cause.

Dianna Newbury I agree Tessa. I don't know how much more I want to hear. Isn't it interesting that the MS Society is holding this session right before the next W5 report?

Ginger MacQueen Call Euro Medic they will give the protocols. Also VENOGRAMS are the gold standard for DX of CCSVI. We don’t even really need the MRV and Doppler as they are only possible indicators.

CCSVI at UBC MS Clinic - Information and Support Q: Did the Buffalo study use the same protocols as Dr. Zamboni?
A: Yes, Buffalo used the same protocol.

Shirley Renshaw I do not want any neuro to touch me coz I wonder if they have ulterior results!!
Quest just asked about the testing equip used in Buffalo study he said yes. That is NOT true.

Tessa Rushton It is me re the Tessa AB question... political double-speak! argh

CCSVI at UBC MS Clinic - Information and Support Q: Can a RRMS person have CCSVI (too much iron in brain) and be anemic?
A: yes, no relationship between iron in brain and blood iron levels. Many neurological diseases accumulate iron in the area of damage and we don't now if the iron is a side effect or causing the problem. The iron in the brain is separate from the venous issue.

Shirley Renshaw Yea someone just commented on the equip and protocol and .......she's great!!!!

CCSVI at UBC MS Clinic - Information and Support Q: Buffalo said it didn't follow the same protocol. The MS Society says not to get tested. Will they now exercise the same guidance for drug treatments that show they can harm certain people with MS (she's talking about interferon-beta research)? Why would you stop testing for CCSVI and not for drug treatments shown to be harmful?

Tessa Rushton misinformation galore! We've made decisions, now let us have the opportunity to act on them!

Shirley Renshaw Yves shut up!

CCSVI at UBC MS Clinic - Information and Support A: We want clinical trials b/c they need ethical consent and follow safety protocols. Trials also document any progress made by patients. These trials serve our interests to give people with MS the answers they need and move us closer to finding a cure.

Shirley Renshaw Murray loves to talk drugs!!!

CCSVI at UBC MS Clinic - Information and Support A: the interferon-beta study is premature. We will not be advising people to stop these drugs because of this small study. We would like to know if there's a way to find out if those people who would be harmed by a drug can be identified.

Julie Way Did they ever address their incorrect response about the equip/protocols used in Buffalo?

CCSVI at UBC MS Clinic - Information and Support Q: How long before CCSVI is assessed and treatment available to patients?
A: This has been going on for over 100 years. Dr. Zamboni only showed benefit to RRMS patients. Centres are evaluating CCSVI (mentions False Creek).

Tessa Rushton trials are not being run by neurologists at ms clinics... so the answer to the question regarding how you get involved in a study was again useless! If people ran a for profit business this way, they would be bankrupt!

Tessa Rushton ccsvi trials - not other MS drug related trials to clarify my above comment.

CCSVI at UBC MS Clinic - Information and Support Q: I'm miffed b/c I have no idea how to get into a study? I'm anxious b/c I'm RRMS right now.
A: Your neuro will discuss what studies are available at your annual visit.
A: Each trial will identify candidates that are suitable. Regular visits may be needed or a certain type of MS may be needed. Exclusions due to secondary conditions (e.g., pregnancy).
A: Geography is a factor. If your neuro is at a teaching hospital, you are more likely to be asked to participate. Huge lists of applicants for studies being planned in CCSVI. We don't want to choose people from just one location. It's not ethical to exclude people from treatment in a study (i.e., the control group) b/c of the Canadian healthcare system.

Shirley Renshaw You know, Dr. Murray should be tied to a wheelchair for a week then maybe he would realize why we are wanting this NOW.

CCSVI at UBC MS Clinic - Information and Support Q: Why don't people with MS have other symptoms of poor circulation?
A: We don't know what a venous obstruction does to anyone. There are no detrimental effects that we know of. People getting treated say their hands and feet are warmer, but this cannot be explained through medical science. MS IS AND ALWAYS WILL BE A NEUROLOGICAL DISEASE. We are changing how we think of MS, but it's all based on neurology (white and grey matter are now known to be involved). CCSVI is making us think of MS differently, but it needs to be tested.

Tessa Rushton hypotheses need testing - Yes, so why don't they get going with testing all the r/r ms patients who want to be involved?

Tessa Rushton I really wish Yves would stop patting the MS Society on the back... it makes me nervous!

Tessa Rushton Yay Shirley! or... be so fatigued that he is unable to do anything or think clearly & yet appear perfectly healthy in all other ways! grrr

Julie Way I've heard enough. I don't need to watch a MSS commercial.

CCSVI at UBC MS Clinic - Information and Support Q: The MS society has been aware since 2007 -- why did they not bring this up earlier? Also, who determines the criteria for the grants?
A: Through our website, info on CCSVI has been there since last October (pre-W5). Look for the medical updates on our website. Since November, we have a lot more info on our website. The most useful piece is the Q&A portion of our website. Grants will be decided by peer review using a group of 15 experts from Canada, US, and Europe who have no conflict with the studies being proposed. Studies must have relevance to MS. Board of MS Society will have the final approval for funding CCSVI research. This will happen within first 10 days of June.

Tessa Rushton unctuous political double-speak - I think I may be wasting my time watching this...?

CCSVI at UBC MS Clinic - Information and Support Q: How does the MS society feel about negative response from some regarding CCSVI?
A: we are very excited about CCSVI, but we don't put all our eggs in one basket. Debate over CCSVI is a good thing. Dr. Zamboni himself says his study may be biased and needs to be researched. When people get mobilized, this will accelerate discovery.

Kevane Bona Stronge yeah....Yves SHUT UP!!! and Jock Murray - you SHUT UP as well...you look so misinformed!!!

Tessa Rushton so Dr. Murray put all 50,000 in a trial!

CCSVI at UBC MS Clinic - Information and Support Q: I want my husband to be tested for CCSVI and treated, if possible. I want to stop progression now for him, time is of the essence. He has end stage MS. What is the MSS doing to help people who want testing and treatment now, even if we don't know if it's the cause of MS? Can't you open centres to do this?
A: I can understand your concerns. Zamboni's results showed short term benefit to RRMS people only. No benefit to SPMS or PPMS (so basically, you're up a creek lady). There are >50,000 people with MS in Canada and this can’t be dealt with at hospitals, so it can only happen in a research trial.

CCSVI at UBC MS Clinic - Information and Support Q: Michigan results will help clarify CCSVI research. Why don't you give the whole picture?
A: Buffalo results appear to contradict Dr. Zamboni's research. There's a forum scheduled for Apr 14 that will be discussing this with Dr. Zamboni on the panel. We play a balanced role in CCSVI, as we do with all issues for people living with MS. I understand people's need to know now what testing would do for them. Go to our website to find trials.

Tessa Rushton Not making it easy for us to donate directly to CCSVI are they?

CCSVI at UBC MS Clinic - Information and Support Q: I want to contribute specifically to CCSVI research?
A: yes, but you need to contact us directly to do that. If you go in the walk, your $ won't be able to be directed to CCSVI research. The walks fund important work of Chapters and Divisions, we risk drying up their funding if we open up all donations to have the option to choose CCSVI exclusively.

Tessa Rushton Ginger - just noticed your comment above. After this webcast - I'm still saving up my $$ to go to Poland :)

Tessa Rushton If we could find a drug to cure the venous issue I bet Dr. Murray would be all over it!

CCSVI at UBC MS Clinic - Information and Support Q: why is response so unprecedented?
A: this translates into something simple that people can understand, that's why people are so excited. Dr. Zamboni's research will not replace the autoimmune theory of MS, well, maybe the "auto" part. For the last 50 years, we don't drop one area of research and switch to another. This is just another avenue of research. CCSVI got more attention than other promising trials b/c of its simplicity and b/c it involves no drugs. CCSVI terminology drove the excitement b/c Dr. Zamboni used the word "cure," but that isn't supported by his actual results.

Shirley Renshaw Murray seems to have one answer that Dr. Zamboni said last fall. It's been a while need new answer!

CCSVI at UBC MS Clinic - Information and Support Q: How long before clinical trials start?
A: Between Canada and US societies, these proposals need to be reviewed first to make sure they follow protocols. Some researches have started the process to get ethical approval. This process is moving very quickly. Response has been tremendous -- proposals are 1 inch thick.

CCSVI at UBC MS Clinic - Information and Support Q: If I have a collapsed vein, why can't these be treated?
A: we don't know the answer. Half don't have collapsed veins and some normal people have collapsed veins.

CCSVI at UBC MS Clinic - Information and Support Q: Warming of hands and feet follows treatment -- is this an indicator that people with MS have a collapsed vein? Is there another condition outside of MS that can be treated?
A: Warming is being talked about on the Internet by treated people. Cold hands and feet are common in the public -- it's genetic. In MS, the frequency is greater b/c MS people don't use their muscles. That's why people have cold hands and purple feet. It's just an annoyance. No connection to cold hands/feet and blocked veins. If you have cold hands, you may have a warm heart (sick attempt at joke).
A: My hands may feel cold, but they are actually not.

Tessa Rushton I'm pleased Yves clarified the role of the 2% pharma funding the society gets!

CCSVI at UBC MS Clinic - Information and Support Q: what will you do with pressure from big pharma?
A: Big pharma has done a lot of work in MS research that is not necessarily linked to drugs specifically. No big pharma can influence what we do with money they give us. The bulk of our funding comes from individuals who do the walks and sell carnations. A few corporations make big contributions. I want to dispel the myth that big pharma is blocking the search for a cure or can influence our decisions. We want govt of Canada to double its commitment of public funds to all health research. Big pharma is only part of the picture.

CCSVI at UBC MS Clinic - Information and Support Q: Does MSS support testing by provincial systems?
A: we advocate for care from health care systems, but there needs to be evidence for us to do that before we say public funds should be spent. Govt will ask us for evidence if we went to them to ask for funded testing.

CCSVI at UBC MS Clinic - Information and Support Q: If I didn't have MS and a blocked vein was found, could a vascular surgeon unblock my veins or would a clinical trial need to be done?
A: None of the normals in Buffalo are probably getting their veins unblocked. We don't ordinarily look for blocked veins. If they have no symptoms or problems would not be eligible for treatment.

Shirley Renshaw Murray says: NOT NORMAL TO STUDY VEINS?????????? WTF!!!!!!!! No wonder they didn't find this first. THIS IS ALL NEW INFO TO US????????? WTF!!!!!!

CCSVI at UBC MS Clinic - Information and Support Q: Is it unethical that CCSVI is being treated right now in Europe?
A: Private clinics are setting up in a few countries (Bulgaria, Poland, India). As long as there are no legal restrictions, they can do this and a bunch of unusual therapies. Strange therapies like snake venom are available elsewhere, even though these therapies have been shown to have no value.

CCSVI at UBC MS Clinic - Information and Support Q: Have children with MS been tested for CCSVI?
A: Children with MS being researched in Canada; we don't know anything about children and CCSVI.

CCSVI at UBC MS Clinic - Information and Support Q: Re: research competition. Is there a next phase of research competition that will be better funded? Will the patient voice be on a panel of experts evaluating proposals?
A: We don't know about subsequent funding yet. We need researchers to drive this process. Larger funded studies need building blocks of prior research. Everything depends on which studies will be best science. Patient voice is important -- we just started engaging a patient to bring perspective to expert review. Because we did the CCSVI funded proposals in such a hurry, we ignored having a patient at the table.
A: There seems to be a sense from patients that the funds we allocated are a limiting factor. The researchers don't think this way.

CCSVI at UBC MS Clinic - Information and Support Q: One year from now -- where will we be?
A: we will have studies underway. This is a story about the power of the internet. I celebrate that. Facebook and other forms of communication that made us act quickly is very exciting.
A: we will have more information in a year -- how many people have CCSVI and start to have preliminary results from clinical trials. Listen to AAN meeting taking place in Toronto soon. Things will be calmer and clearer, but we still won't know the long term benefit of CCSVI treatment as an effective therapy.

CCSVI at UBC MS Clinic - Information and Support Q: will CCSVI benefit different types of MS?
A: only benefits RRMS according to Dr. Zamboni and the veins must stay open.

CCSVI at UBC MS Clinic - Information and Support Q: Why was there no effects on SPMS and PPMS?
A: we have found this before -- has to do with extent of nerve damage over many years. That is speculation though. It doesn't mean benefit can't occur -- we have seen drugs that can help people with Parkinson's. A new medication shows benefits for people with PPMS and walking (can't spell drug name).

CCSVI at UBC MS Clinic - Information and Support A: My sister has been tested for CCSVI in Buffalo; no stenosis was found. How much can we trust the tests for CCSVI and where can we go to get iron in the brain measured?
Q: Iron testing requires a specialized MRI. That research has been underway for some time. I don't know if it's available in Canada.

CCSVI at UBC MS Clinic - Information and Support Now they are patting themselves on the back. Yves, this is an "interesting time." New therapies are being developed. People with MS are mobilized, they are on Facebook! Our role as a Society has been affected by this in order to invest your money in good science.

Tessa Rushton hmm... that was 2 hours of my life I'll never get back! It'll be interesting to see the spin on the news tonight!

Teresa Hauser McGough Did everyone get the fact that they said this was beneficial for RRMS, but that they still won't do anything constructive towards possibly saving these people NOW, and that in a year they hope to have a few more answers!?! Geez, that equates to letting people rot away and they don't care about anything except keeping their donations coming in and the money flowing..... holy horse dung....that stinks.
National CCSVI Society: <strong><br /><a href="http://tinyurl.com/44znbct">http://tiny ... 44znbct</a> ~Website<br /><a href="http://tinyurl.com/3wzmkmg">http://tiny ... 3wzmkmg</a> ~Facebook</strong><br />
annad
Family Elder

Post by annad »

That web cast drained me!
Wordy. Very wordy and not so positive. Also Dr. Murray had his 'facts' wrong a couple of times and compared this to 'strange treatments' like snake venom. Geee
Yves did plug the MS Walk at least 3 times, however.
Nothing new and disappointing :(
Drained.
PCakes
Family Elder

Post by PCakes »

I love this.... ." New therapies are being developed. People with MS are mobilized, they are on Facebook! Our role as a Society has been affected by this in order to invest your money in good science. ".. they know we've done our research and we are watching.. ! optimistically this should work in our favour.. "there is strength in numbers"..

Thank you so much for posting the details...
Villagemaid
Family Elder

Post by Villagemaid »

Yup..that was my question:

"CCSVI at UBC MS Clinic - Information and Support Q: Is it unethical that CCSVI is being treated right now in Europe?
A: Private clinics are setting up in a few countries (Bulgaria, Poland, India). As long as there are no legal restrictions, they can do this and a bunch of unusual therapies. Strange therapies like snake venom are available elsewhere, even though these therapies have been shown to have no value."

Did he even answer it????.....*sigh

-VM-
35 (f) dx'd since July 2000 RRMS
Treated in Bulgaria on September 8 2010
80 percent narrowed RJV and 90 percent narrowed Azygos
happy_canuck
Family Elder

Post by happy_canuck »

This is my summary-at-a-glance of the whole webcast:

"The Internet, like WOW, we never saw that one coming! We knew about Zamboni before you did, but were ignoring him. Have you seen our website? It's great. Lots of drugs available now based on good science. We are clueless about veins and don't know if a blocked vein makes you sick. Don't get tested. If you're PPMS or SPMS, you are really out of luck, even though we don't believe Zamboni, we believe him about THAT. Stay home and watch our website. We're good people. Do you know there are over 50,000 people with MS in Canada. Wow. We can't even start testing because it will cost taxpayers. So calm down and wait one year, then wait several more years."

They have nothing new to add to their same-old argument. Why the webcast? They are worried about donations, IMO.
National CCSVI Society: <strong><br /><a href="http://tinyurl.com/44znbct">http://tiny ... 44znbct</a> ~Website<br /><a href="http://tinyurl.com/3wzmkmg">http://tiny ... 3wzmkmg</a> ~Facebook</strong><br />
cah
Family Elder

Post by cah »

Hey canuck,

thank you for sparing me the "wordy" stuff above :wink:
"There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance." Socrates
PCakes
Family Elder

Post by PCakes »

H.C. ..hahahaha your version is better and more fun to read... :)
annad
Family Elder

Post by annad »

One more thing I forgot to add to my post above . . . . that MS patient sitting with Yves and Dr. Murray did NOT represent me!
Habenoughyet
Family Member

Post by Habenoughyet »

happy_canuck wrote:This is my summary-at-a-glance of the whole webcast:

"The Internet, like WOW, we never saw that one coming! We knew about Zamboni before you did, but were ignoring him. Have you seen our website? It's great. Lots of drugs available now based on good science. We are clueless about veins and don't know if a blocked vein makes you sick. Don't get tested. If you're PPMS or SPMS, you are really out of luck, even though we don't believe Zamboni, we believe him about THAT. Stay home and watch our website. We're good people. Do you know there are over 50,000 people with MS in Canada. Wow. We can't even start testing because it will cost taxpayers. So calm down and wait one year, then wait several more years."

They have nothing new to add to their same-old argument. Why the webcast? They are worried about donations, IMO.
Right on the money!!! :wink:

HEY
"Never argue with stupid people... They bring you down to they're level and beat you with experience"
Villagemaid
Family Elder

Post by Villagemaid »

She didn't represent me either. What a responsibility, eh? To speak on behalf of people with MS....never asked for my input.....
35 (f) dx'd since July 2000 RRMS
Treated in Bulgaria on September 8 2010
80 percent narrowed RJV and 90 percent narrowed Azygos
1eye
Family Elder

Post by 1eye »

Glad I went for a workout instead.

Got a lot of restorative boost hearing about Kuwait. It makes me wonder whether the US will be first or Canada to follow suit, and treat it like it is. An emergency that must be dealt with in all MS patients who have CCSVI. I don't think anybody should wait for anything. Isn't that amazing. But true. A chronic disease that might leave you alone, and might not. But to the people who have it, *it's* *an* *emergency!*

Once we've got them in wheelchairs, we can forget about those people; we will say anything that remotely resembles an answer, get those blawgers off our necks, and they'll probably get tired and leave us alone. Then we can get back to our usual life, fundraising... and collecting our pay.

-1eye :x
whyRwehere
Family Elder

Post by whyRwehere »

HappyC,
I wish I had read your version before I went through the first post....it was right on the money.
And the reference to snake venom, what does that have to do with the topic, unless he is trying to equate it to ccsvi?
Loved the: "we don't believe Z., but we believe him about that...." typical.
Chrystal
Family Elder

Post by Chrystal »

I have to preface this message by saying again, that I have been a long-time supporter and "fan" of the MS Society, fundraiser, WALKer, volunteer, speaker with a parent who has been a research partner for years. As I sat through the live web-cast yesterday afternoon, I grew more and more disheartened and later sickened.

When a patient brought up the Buffalo studies in which the results differed (and were less impressive, as naysayers are so eager to point out) from Dr. Zamboni’s results, she asked if the same equipment had been used and the same protocols followed as in Dr. Zamboni’s study. Dr. Jock Murray, the neurologist, lied in response. Too harsh? Okay, he told a fib. No, he is a learned man, an author…a facts man.

All the other naysayers that I have heard, have conveniently omitted the truth – that Dr. Zivadinov, himself, stated that they had not used the same equipment or followed the same protocols which could be why the results differed so. But not Dr. Murray, he lied and said “yes”, that the same equipment had been used and the same protocols followed.

Until the time when I had my chance to speak and tell the truth, NO ONE corrected Dr. Murray. I don’t mean fellow patients. I mean MS Society of Canada staff who have said they are closely monitoring CCSVI developments and reiterated yesterday, that their role is to give timely and accurate information. It would have been very timely to correct the wrong statement immediately and give the accurate information.

But no – neither the president, nor the patient on the panel (who is very active on the Board and at her chapter, is excited and hopeful about CCSVI and even speaking to fellow MSers about it as she mentioned) – they were sitting there with microphones right in front of them and could have set the record straight right away. Even the MS Society of Canada’s research people, their communication people and the many other staff members who were there – did not, in the pure and simple interest of ensuring that only accurate information was being imparted to present media (because Lord knows, some of the media has been spewing untruths at every chance they get) to the patients who they are supposed to be advocating for, did not correct Dr. Murray and speak the truth.

Dr. Murray spoke other untruths, and again no one from the MS Society of Canada corrected him and relayed true facts. The wonderful lady beside me and myself kept raising our hands, wanting to correct the lies each time, but were never selected again to speak (fair enough because other MSers deserved a chance to speak)....which is all the reason why MS Society staff should have been the ones setting the record straight for patients' sake, media's sake and the public's sake.

My long-winded question referred to a statement on the Canadian Magnetic Imaging website that says “the MS Society of Canada has advised that ‘For safety reasons, the MS Society does not recommend that people with MS be examined or treated for CCSVI outside of an established research protocol’. Until such time as this changes, CMI will not be offering the imaging techniques used by Dr. Zamboni as we support and respect what leaders in the field are advising.”

My actual question – given the concerns about CCSVI expressed by the MS Society and its medical advisors (various neurologists), to MS patients, the government, media, medical community, imaging labs, etc., I want to know will the MS Society and its medical advisors now exercise the same concerns with respect to the latest news of another study’s results that made the news on March 29th?

“For safety reasons”, have the MS Society of Canada and their neurologist medical advisors begun “advising” patients to stop their drug treatments until scientists and researchers can replicate the study that revealed there might be 2 types of MS, and certain drugs that are effective for one type have actually proven harmful to patients with the other type of MS, making their condition worse? Have the MS Society and their neurologist medical advisors begun (if not, when will they begin) actively advocating for the prescribing of these drugs to cease immediately, until larger studies (which they want done for CCSVI) have confirmed or refuted these latest results, so as not to put patients at risk of being placed on a drug harmful to their type of MS, as we now know has been done to countless patients for the past many years? Are newly diagnosed patients being advised not to begin any of these drug treatments? You’re stopping testing and treatment of MS because you say further work needs to be done. Clearly further work needs to be done regarding drug treatments currently in use, are you stopping them?

I guess my answer was: We operate with double standards. We are only interested in protecting MS patients from non-drug treatments (CCSVI procedure), so we will not be advising patients to stay away from drugs that we now know are only meant for patients with 1 type of MS and not the 2nd type of MS (whose condition will actually worsen with the drugs). Dr. Murray said they will not stop people from taking a drug that is helping them. Good answer, doc. But what about the people the drug is actually harming? Don’t you care about them – or do they not matter? What about the newly diagnosed – you didn’t talk about them – will you be putting them on a drug knowing that they could be part of the group where the drug can worsen their condition? And back to not stopping people from taking a drug that is helping them.

Doc. Murray, why can’t you apply your simple reasoning above to the liberation procedure which has been helping many people? You and the other panel members were excited about the internet and the wonderful postings of news and how up-to-date we MSers were…have you not been reading liberated patients’ first-hand accounts? Oh, you think “placebo” effect…only when speaking of the Liberation Procedure…interesting that you never think “placebo” effect when speaking of drugs. I just listened the other day to another interview where a gentleman says that for the past three years since his liberation, he has forgotten what it is like to feel sick. That’s what we want!!! Forgive me, doc, if after 15 ½+ years of “living” with MS, I am sick of being sick.

http://www.boston.com/business/healthca ... p_Emailed3
For many, MS drugs not helpful, study shows
By Rob Waters
Bloomberg News / March 29, 2010

http://pagingdrgupta.blogs.cnn.com/2010/03/
March 29, 2010
Scientists find there may be two forms of multiple sclerosis

I couldn't believe the comments that MS patients were so excited about CCSVI because it was "simple" to understand???? We are not simpletons. Everyone I have talked to has spoken of the logic, the sense this makes.

I had submitted a question to the MS Society of Canada when I first registered, and had my hand up to ask this as well when it wasn't addressed: Since CCSVI is a vascular condition, shouldn't the speaker panel have included a vascular specialist who has read up on the research and studies done by Dr. Zamboni and others???

I really wanted to ask Dr. Murray: In an interview with CBC, I believe it was, he said that CCSVI was known and talked about in MS circles for over a year-and-a-half, before it hit the news. In fact, Joan Beal first wrote to Dr. Murray in December of 2008, telling him about CCSVI and expressing her hope that some of the Canadian research money might be allocated to venous insufficiency...so why did it have to take patient pressure following the W5 and the Globe and Mail stories to get the MS Society of Canada finally moving on this? Who exactly was in the MS circles he refers to that were talking about CCSVI during all that time and were then surprised when it hit the news?

http://www.facebook.com/pages/CCSVI-in- ... 2666102210

link to the Jock Murray interview. http://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B5Z1eiS ... Mjc2&hl=en

Mr. Savoie said that the role of the MS Society is to provide timely, accurate info so patients can make the right decision, not to make the decision for us. Thanks to W5's timely and accurate info MS patients were finally able to hear about CCSVI. Since then, many of us have read the research, studies, as well as overwhelmingly positive feedback from already liberated patients and we have decided we want CCSVI testing and treatment in Canada, but we cannot even get proper testing never mind treatment because (as we now have seen) on the Canadian Magnetic Imaging site, "The MS Society of Canada has advised that 'For safety reasons, the MS Society does not recommend that people with MS be examined or treated for CCSVI outside of an established research protocol'. Until such a time as this changes, CMI will not be offering the imaging techniques used by Dr. Zamboni as we support and respect what leaders in the field are advising.”

After the web-cast, in conversation with a few other MSers, an MS Society of Canada staff person who has also been closely monitoring the CCSVI developments especially because of a family member who has MS, made a point of telling us that 2 people have died from the Liberation Procedure…then went on to say, the deaths involved a man with the stents and a lady on a plane. After gasping in shock and horror that more untruths were being spread about CCSVI, and here by one of our advocates, we strongly corrected the person and stressed that no one has died from the liberation procedure in fact so many are enjoying better health and quality of life after having been liberated in various parts of the world… The person still looked stunned and in disbelief that no one had died.

A couple of MS Staff asked how I felt about the event. I gave my above point about a vascular specialist. They both said, but Dr. Murray has written on MS! I said he gave incorrect information about CCSVI repeatedly. They said he’s an expert on MS! No neurologist is an “expert” on MS, unless he himself has MS, and then he is only an expert on his MS, because we all know that MS affects everyone differently. I am an expert on my MS.

The government people have said they are waiting for the medical profession and the MS Society to give the okay, but everyone, especially the MS Society of Canada (look at yesterday’s panel on CCSVI for confirmation), seems to only be listening to neurologists. For yesterday’s web-cast on CCSVI to only include a neurologist and not a vascular specialist was insulting to patients’ intelligence (oh, I forgot, they think we are all simpletons and we wouldn’t realize this was a ridiculous and total waste of time geared to offering incorrect and biased information) and of course plugging the upcoming MS Walks. With what little energy we have, we dragged ourselves to the web-cast (I, still with hope that our advocates would come through for us) which was just a ruse.

Do I have confidence in the monitoring of CCSVI developments in Canada, the “competition” for research grants, the panel members chosen, the selection of the studies for grants, etc.? Not after yesterday’s web-cast.

I only wish the “polite Canadian” in me had not joined in the applause at the end, because sadly, there was nothing about the web-cast to applaud.

I hope the MS Society of Canada will give me/us valid reasons to believe in them again.
happy_canuck
Family Elder

Post by happy_canuck »

Chrystal,

A pleasure to meet you -- I have been quoting your question (and the non-reply) as examples of how poorly the panel was prepared and telling them that there were some bright (non-simple) people in the audience. Now, I know that was you. So thank you for everything you tried to do!

Would you allow me to put some of your reasoning from your post on the CCSVI at UBC Facebook page? We are also having an in person meeting and webcast Friday evening, so I'm sure the MS Society meeting will be discussed.

Sandra
Chrystal
Family Elder

Post by Chrystal »

Sandra, I pm'd you...