Dr. Zamboni Interviewed on the CBC's "The Current"

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.
fiddler
Family Elder

Dr. Zamboni Interviewed on the CBC's "The Current"

Post by fiddler »

I'm going to paraphrase from memory, but here is the most exciting thing that Dr. Zamboni said in his interview:
We don't yet know what class of MS patient will benefit most from the liberation treatment, but I am sure that the majority of liberated MS patients will gain an improved quality of life from the procedure.
If you missed the show, they should have the podcast on-line by tomorrow at this link: http://www.cbc.ca/thecurrent/
The famous (infamous?) Dr. Freedman is interviewed in the second part of the program. His skepticism, while still strong in this interview, is much more toned down and reasoned in this interview (no more talk of a hoax).
...Ted
Dx SPMS in 2004.  Liberated 29/04/2010.
My blog: www.my-darn-ms.blogspot.com
Asher
Family Elder

Post by Asher »

Thank you Ted. It takes time, and time is not on our side, but inch by inch we are getting there. The tone of the discourse is changing.
AMcG
Family Elder

Post by AMcG »

I agree the tone is much less supercilious but I wonder how much that is simply an attempt to seem more reasonable. What makes me wonder if there might be a real change is the recent update At the NMSS

http://www.nationalmssociety.org/news/n ... x?nid=2206

This clearly talks about pursuing treatment.
Last edited by AMcG on Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fiddler
Family Elder

URL Error

Post by fiddler »

AMcG, there seems to be an error in the URL you provided... you might want to edit it.
...Ted
fiddler
Family Elder

The Current - Posted

Post by fiddler »

Folks, the radio interview with Zamboni (and then Freedman) is now posted on http://www.cbc.ca/thecurrent/
...Ted
mag00
Getting to Know You...

part 2 troubles?

Post by mag00 »

I can't seem to find the 2nd part with Dr. Freedman's rebuttal.

anyone else?

thanks
Mag00
joanp
Family Member

Re: part 2 troubles?

Post by joanp »

mag00 wrote:I can't seem to find the 2nd part with Dr. Freedman's rebuttal.

anyone else?

thanks
Mag00
freedman is definitely NOT in part 2.... so maybe it is a temp snafu.
fiddler
Family Elder

Fixed

Post by fiddler »

Folks, the web people from The Current have informed me that the audio for part 2 is now fixed.
...Ted
Lyon
Family Elder

Re: Fixed

Post by Lyon »

Last edited by Lyon on Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
whyRwehere
Family Elder

Post by whyRwehere »

Heard it. Think the interviewer could have studied the subject a bit first...ie where Dr Z talks about re-stenosis, and she asked him what that was, not to clarify for the listener, but because she didn't understand the word or his accent, and he had to struggle to get different words in English to explain it to her. She also had very leading questions (I paraphrase here)... "Dr Z, do you feel guilty that people feel they must have this procedure done, even though it might not help?" "Dr Freedman, does it make you feel bad that patients have turned on you?"
Dr Zamboni should have been asked to respond then to Freedman, but instead it moved on to a patient who didn't really seem to care what happened in the future. He is not looking for treatment, he is happy to be where he is at.....why didn't they try interviewing someone, who had an opinion, or someone who had treatment.
If Freedman is hurt that his patients don't trust him anymore, he should start seeming more interested in research that seems promising, instead of suggesting that it should never get off the ground.
MS_mama
Family Elder

Post by MS_mama »

AMcG wrote:I agree the tone is much less supercilious but I wonder how much that is simply an attempt to seem more reasonable. What makes me wonder if there might be a real change is the recent update At the NMSS

http://www.nationalmssociety.org/news/n ... x?nid=2206

This clearly talks about pursuing treatment.
yep--good stuff, instead of saying "don't get tested/treated" they are now saying that it is an individual decision for each person to make in conjunction with their health care providers. They have acknowledged that some people's MS is progressing more rapidly and would like to consider this as an option but considering that it is not proven yet. Much better than their previous statement.
dx RRMS Jun. 2009...on Copaxone and LDN and waiting for my turn to be "liberated"<br />
Zeureka
Family Elder

Re: Dr. Zamboni Interviewed on the CBC's "The Current&q

Post by Zeureka »

fiddler wrote:I'm going to paraphrase from memory, but here is the most exciting thing that Dr. Zamboni said in his interview:
We don't yet know what class of MS patient will benefit most from the liberation treatment, but I am sure that the majority of liberated MS patients will gain an improved quality of life from the procedure.
If you missed the show, they should have the podcast on-line by tomorrow at this link: http://www.cbc.ca/thecurrent/
The famous (infamous?) Dr. Freedman is interviewed in the second part of the program. His skepticism, while still strong in this interview, is much more toned down and reasoned in this interview (no more talk of a hoax).
...Ted
I liked the multifactorial remark. CCSVI is one new discovered factor in MS, that's also how I would see it...
Billmeik
Family Elder

Post by Billmeik »

anna maria is better than this. She has been coached badly by some producer to have a skeptical attitude but she comes off as ignorant. Not knowing what restenosis is, etc.
Billmeik
Family Elder

Post by Billmeik »

restenosis is the closest thing we have to an animal test for ccsvi. The fact that people had ms attacks and those were caused by restenosis is everything anna maria. Get it. Some day there will be animal tests where we clamp the veins on the output side of the brain and produce lesions, but until then its restenosis. That's the proof.
Billmeik
Family Elder

Post by Billmeik »

weird I just agreed with freedman! His point about checking patients over time is good. We are starting to hear about a ccsvi that is much more plastic than the truncular one put forth.

changes over time.