Volcanic ash affecting aviation in Europe

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.

Volcanic ash affecting aviation in Europe

Postby sofia » Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:07 pm

Not to be to pessemistic, my liberation treatment is not scheduled before may 13th in Bulgaria, BUT reasent headline was that aviation all across Europe might be affected for up to six months. Another and even bigger eruption is regarded likely by specialists.

I havent payed to much attention to it just yet, but my understanding of it is that majore airports, London, Frankfurt, Paris have been closed for days. They reopen letting as many flights off as is safe to do, when there is a gap, all depending on where the ash is blowing.

I've got connecting flights in London, and I don not want to be stranded at Gatwic airport for days missing my procedure. So we are seriously looking into driving all the way across Europe, even if it will probably take us 4 days, or even more.

Have other of you going for your procedures both in Bulgaria and other hospitals in Europe thought about this. Has anybody been affected by it all ready? I have noticed there has not been any updates on the sticky the last few days.

I probably sound horribly hysterical and very pessemistic, but I am conserned about it, probably because having this procedure is awfully important to me.
<div>I have lived with ms for 8 years. The last year has been hell, I've gone from shite to even worse every single month, until my liberation in May. </div>
User avatar
sofia
Family Elder
 
Posts: 162
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:00 pm

Advertisement

Postby Katie41 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:20 pm

Sofia,

Rather than sounding hysterical and pessemistic, sounds like you are prudently planning ahead! :)

Katie41
User avatar
Katie41
Family Elder
 
Posts: 179
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:00 pm
Location: Southern California

Postby Jaguar » Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:23 pm

I don't think you are beng pessimistic - realistic is more like it.

I switched from Bulgaria to Poland when they had a cancellation, only to find that my flights probably will be cancelled (I fly on Tuesday evening to Paris). I don't have the option of driving across the Atlantic Ocean!

I am trying to find a diffrerent routing that could get me somewhere in the South, then drive up to Katowice - it will be a miracle if I can get it organized in time.

But the alternatives are disheartening - I will probably be put on a waitlist in Katowice for who knows when, or I could try once again in Bulgaria - maybe September.

I could have thought of many reasons for not having the procedure - but a volcano wasn't one of them!

One day at a time.
User avatar
Jaguar
Family Member
 
Posts: 90
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:00 pm
Location: Montreal

Postby Katie41 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:28 pm

Jaguar,

Hoping all your hard work will result in a way to reach there. Even if you are late, they may be able to fit you in because of other cancellations they are having this week.

You do the work, I'll send good thoughts and best wishes :)

Katie41
User avatar
Katie41
Family Elder
 
Posts: 179
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:00 pm
Location: Southern California

Postby cah » Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:44 pm

Hate to bring these news but all flights are canceled to or from europe, including UK, Germany and Poland, at least until tomorrow (they decide this almost from hour to hour). I don't know if there's enough information about that across the pond. Shall I update you?
"There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance." Socrates
User avatar
cah
Family Elder
 
Posts: 336
Joined: Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:00 pm
Location: Germany

Postby Jaguar » Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:50 pm

Cah
Thanks
But we are very aware of Europe's closed airspace. Headline news - nonstop. It's catastrophic for many businesses that depend on fresh shipments - not to mention people who need to get to clinics!
User avatar
Jaguar
Family Member
 
Posts: 90
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:00 pm
Location: Montreal

Postby Johnson » Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:20 pm

It looks as if you can still get into Spain, Portugal, Italy, Ukraine, and points east. Then by train, or car? Further, my understanding is that the ash is high up in the jet-stream. Perhaps smaller regional aircraft could be a solution, as they do not fly so high?

I still don't have a date, but if I have to go overland from Siberia, I will! What an adventure. Still, I sincerely hope that no one misses their appointment because of this. Pray for the jet-stream to shift north.
My name is not really Johnson. MSed up since 1993
User avatar
Johnson
Family Elder
 
Posts: 979
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:00 pm
Location: Ucluluet, BC

Postby mila77 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:35 pm

Johnson,

No regional flights are operating at the moment in countries "touched by vulcanic cloud". Everything is grounded. Only helicopters can fly below 3000 meters. Believe me, no exeptions.
Half of the "world authorities" including Obama were supposed to be in Poland tomorrow to attend the funeral of president Kaczynski but a lot of them already cancelled, other are trying to get here by car and some are still waiting for the decision if the sky over Poland will be open tomorrow or not :-(
User avatar
mila77
Family Member
 
Posts: 89
Joined: Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:00 pm
Location: Warsaw, Poland

Postby sofia » Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:56 am

hello

i suppose it all depends on this other volcano erupting or not, wheter i have to drive or not. im quite fortunate as my procedure is weeks away and we got the option of driving. so sorry to hear about your situation Jaguar.
Maybe you can find some other poland patient to swap dates with you?
somebody europe based that could easily drive there for end of this month, but has to wait for theirs until june or july. could be a win-win situation ...

hope something will come up for you :-)
<div>I have lived with ms for 8 years. The last year has been hell, I've gone from shite to even worse every single month, until my liberation in May. </div>
User avatar
sofia
Family Elder
 
Posts: 162
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:00 pm

Plan B

Postby fiddler » Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:21 pm

Hi Jaguar (and anyone else going from North America to Poland):
I know you'll be as busy as a one-armed paper hanger, but PLEASE let us know what "Plan B" alternatives you come up with. I have friend in Madrid so co0uld fly there then maybe take a train (if they're not all full), but I'm supposed to be flying out to Krakow this Friday, so I need to make changes soon, I expect.
...Ted
Dx SPMS in 2004.  Liberated 29/04/2010.
My blog: www.my-darn-ms.blogspot.com
User avatar
fiddler
Family Elder
 
Posts: 398
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:00 pm
Location: Fredericton, Canada

Postby Inge67 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:40 pm

Ted,
I just read that spain is opening up airports.
You need to travel by train then for at least 2-3 days i think, but this might be an opportunity.

THE netherlands will be closed until monday afternoon 14 hours. Uk Will be closed until monday morning, like germany.

But things are moving here: i expect there is more news tomorrow afternoon. They are doing testflights, some already with cargo and passengers. So hold on for one more day.

I am planning an alternative plan: night train through germany to poland as i am not sure whether airports in poland will be open next week. Holland might be, but then you still have to land hey!

If i van be of help planning your trip, please mail me.
Inge
User avatar
Inge67
Family Member
 
Posts: 93
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:00 pm
Location: The Netherlands

Postby Jaguar » Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:49 pm

Ted

Here is plan B:

http://www.amphicar.com/images/amphicar.jpg

Really though, I am booked for Tuesday evening and I am waiting with crossed fingers for air travel to start on Monday. If I am lucky, my flight will still "exist" on Tuesday. If not, I think I am at the mercy of Air France to have a Plan B.

Paul
User avatar
Jaguar
Family Member
 
Posts: 90
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:00 pm
Location: Montreal

Thanks

Postby fiddler » Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:16 pm

Thanks, Inge and Paul. I suppose that I have to just sit tight for a day or so to see. But I've noticed that, for example, there is only executive class left on Air Canada to Madrid on Saturday... probably a lot of people changing their plans these days... and AC only gets to Madrid through affected airports, no direct flights... *sigh*
...Ted
Last edited by fiddler on Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dx SPMS in 2004.  Liberated 29/04/2010.
My blog: www.my-darn-ms.blogspot.com
User avatar
fiddler
Family Elder
 
Posts: 398
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:00 pm
Location: Fredericton, Canada

Postby Vhoenecke » Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:38 pm

I am supposed to fly Sunday the 25th from Calgary to Frankfurt then Krakow. We will see I am at the mercy of the Volcano gods :lol: . I am sure there will be a whole lot of people cancelling in Poland and Bulgaria. Hope all goes well for everyone. Maybe we could get the whole world to blow really hard northward to change the direction of the ash.


Val
User avatar
Vhoenecke
Family Elder
 
Posts: 332
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:00 pm
Location: Rosetown, Canada

Postby Brynn » Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:06 pm

Hi gang, My flight is supposed to leave Tuesday. My husband was just on the phone and was told to check tomorrow, so we are trying to be ready to jump, in case it is a GO! I actually don't have to be there until the 25th, so we will just do the best we can! The adventure continues...Brynn.
41 years old, dx 1998, current EDSS 6.5
User avatar
Brynn
Family Elder
 
Posts: 116
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:00 pm
Location: Spokane, Wa

Next

Return to Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency (CCSVI)

 


  • Related topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users


Contact us | Terms of Service