Things to do whilst in Katowice?

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.
mags4short
Family Elder

Things to do whilst in Katowice?

Post by mags4short »

Hi all,

I am heading for Poland in a couple of weeks and have a few questions for people who have already been there...

1. Any suggestions as to where to visit whilst there, and where are the best places to eat also? We have a couple of extra days there and want to make the most of it :)

2. How did you get on with the language barrier? I struggle with English half the time ( being a Northerner and all that :) ) and have no understanding of Polish, I have read on here that people at the clinic speak English, but what about eating places etc. Will a phrase book be enough?

3. What about the money, is it easy enough to get your head around? Is tipping the thing in Poland?

Sorry this could get to 20 questions if I am not careful, but any advice will be welcomed... getting excited now :)

Mags xx
LR1234
Family Elder

Post by LR1234 »

1. I would visit the silesia centre as there are loads of restaurants there and shops. (tell the cab driver the big Tescos/silesia centre)
2.I went to Auschwitz as I felt I should go as its not often one travels to Poland.

I would take a Polish/English phrase book with you as to be honest most Polish people do not speak English and it is almost impossible for them and for you to guess what eachothers saying, The words are too different.

Zloty is the money and it was pretty easy to work out after a while. I think I did tip 10% (don't know what the standard is)

Good luck! x
Badger
Family Elder

Hello!!!!

Post by Badger »

I want for a walk on the first day and I found there was not much within walking distance. The small arcade attached to the hotel was good though. I thought the Italian restaurant was very good and there was also a pizza hut at the back of the hotel.

I never got the chance to go but I believe Marek, the driver, is normally willing to drive people through to Krakow for the day. I heard that is very good!!!

Good Luck. :wink:
<em>Badger
RRMS 2004</em>
Appt Katowice 23/24th March
mags4short
Family Elder

Post by mags4short »

LR1234 wrote:1. I would visit the silesia centre as there are loads of restaurants there and shops. (tell the cab driver the big Tescos/silesia centre)
2.I went to Auschwitz as I felt I should go as its not often one travels to Poland.

I would take a Polish/English phrase book with you as to be honest most Polish people do not speak English and it is almost impossible for them and for you to guess what eachothers saying, The words are too different.

Zloty is the money and it was pretty easy to work out after a while. I think I did tip 10% (don't know what the standard is)

Good luck! x
Thanks I am printing these out. This file of mine will be bigger than my suitcase at this rate. :)

I want to visit Auschwitz too, is it easy enough to get to by train or bus?

Thanks Mags x
LR1234
Family Elder

Post by LR1234 »

Its a train journey followed by a cab from the station. There is a tourist office in the centre (not too far from the Qubus) they will give you train times.
There is a coach option that goes straight from Katowice to Auschwitz but I didn't fancy being stuck on a coach for an hour but that might suit you better x
Jaguar
Family Member

Post by Jaguar »

You can rent a car for 100 zlotny and drive to Auchwitz. It's close and easy to get to.

I found an english speaking cabbie - he is taking me and Lorna tomorrow for the day. He's charging 300 zlotny for the whole day, so we have a driver and guide.

I know Marek does it as well, but Marek will be finished with Euromedic at the end of April.

Took a cab to Silesia shopping center - 17 zlotny

Jayne and Rick swear by a restaurant close by called Patio - going to try it tonight

Hang out in the Sky Bar on the roof of the Qubus Hotel

Apparently a great outing is to a nearby coalmine museum.

Krakow is 90 minutes - 2 hours away by train - don't know if I can face going and returning same day.

http://katowice.inyourpocket.com

that is pretty well everything

Paul
mags4short
Family Elder

Re: Hello!!!!

Post by mags4short »

Badger wrote:I want for a walk on the first day and I found there was not much within walking distance. The small arcade attached to the hotel was good though. I thought the Italian restaurant was very good and there was also a pizza hut at the back of the hotel.

I never got the chance to go but I believe Marek, the driver, is normally willing to drive people through to Krakow for the day. I heard that is very good!!!

Good Luck. :wink:
Thanks Badger!

I will give the restaurant a try.

We are there for 7 days so will probably get chance to try pizza hut too :)

I hope that you are doing well?

Mags x
mags4short
Family Elder

Post by mags4short »

LR1234 wrote:Its a train journey followed by a cab from the station. There is a tourist office in the centre (not too far from the Qubus) they will give you train times.
There is a coach option that goes straight from Katowice to Auschwitz but I didn't fancy being stuck on a coach for an hour but that might suit you better x
Thanks for that, I will find the tourist office, this is going to one hell of an adventure, in more ways than one :)

Mags x
mila77
Family Member

Post by mila77 »

Hi all,

Another place worth visiting while staying in Katowice is "Wieliczka" salt mine. It used to be the oldest salt mine in Poland and now it is a kind of museum with many undeground chambers filled with salt sculptures. It is really breathtaking and it is on the UNESCO's First World List of Cultural and Natural Heritage. There are guided tours in many languages but I am not sure if the place is wheelchairs-friendly.

Wieliczka is located just 10 km from Krakow center so if you plan to visit Kraków you could also go there.

Here is the link to Wieliczka website (English version), where you can check what to expect there

http://www.kopalnia.pl/site.php?action= ... 6&level=27

Wish you all nice stay in Poland
mags4short
Family Elder

Post by mags4short »

Jaguar wrote:You can rent a car for 100 zlotny and drive to Auchwitz. It's close and easy to get to.

I found an english speaking cabbie - he is taking me and Lorna tomorrow for the day. He's charging 300 zlotny for the whole day, so we have a driver and guide.

I know Marek does it as well, but Marek will be finished with Euromedic at the end of April.

Took a cab to Silesia shopping center - 17 zlotny

Jayne and Rick swear by a restaurant close by called Patio - going to try it tonight

Hang out in the Sky Bar on the roof of the Qubus Hotel

Apparently a great outing is to a nearby coalmine museum.

Krakow is 90 minutes - 2 hours away by train - don't know if I can face going and returning same day.

http://katowice.inyourpocket.com

that is pretty well everything

Paul
Wow, thanks Paul,

I don't know about hiring a car, I am assuming that they drive on the other side of the road in Poland and I am bad enough driving on the right :)

I will certainly try the cabbie who speaks English, I wish I could take one of my friends who speaks Polish that would solve a few problems, but I suppose I can't cover everything.

Let me know how you and Lorna get on at Auchwitz, I believe that it can be a very emotional place to visit. I just feel I want to go and pay my respects.

Patio and Sky bar sound good too.

I hope that everything goes according to plan for you.

Take care,

Mags x
Jaguar
Family Member

Post by Jaguar »

The cabbie's name is Greg, his cellphone is 510 873 062.
He hangs out in front of the Qubus with all the other cabs, but you can call him and he will be there in a flash and meet you on the front stairs.

By the way, they drive on the right here, and traffic isn't heavy, so i can see that it's quite easy, although I've been told not to drive in Krakow, way too complicated, with little streets etc.
mags4short
Family Elder

Post by mags4short »

mila77 wrote:Hi all,

Another place worth visiting while staying in Katowice is "Wieliczka" salt mine. It used to be the oldest salt mine in Poland and now it is a kind of museum with many undeground chambers filled with salt sculptures. It is really breathtaking and it is on the UNESCO's First World List of Cultural and Natural Heritage. There are guided tours in many languages but I am not sure if the place is wheelchairs-friendly.

Wieliczka is located just 10 km from Krakow center so if you plan to visit Kraków you could also go there.

Here is the link to Wieliczka website (English version), where you can check what to expect there

http://www.kopalnia.pl/site.php?action= ... 6&level=27

Wish you all nice stay in Poland
Thank you Mila,

I really don't want to miss out on anything. I will certainly try to visit Wieliczka. I need to get a bigger diary too, maybe I should extend my stay by another week :)

Thanks again,

Mags x
mags4short
Family Elder

Post by mags4short »

Jaguar wrote:The cabbie's name is Greg, his cellphone is 510 873 062.
He hangs out in front of the Qubus with all the other cabs, but you can call him and he will be there in a flash and meet you on the front stairs.

By the way, they drive on the right here, and traffic isn't heavy, so i can see that it's quite easy, although I've been told not to drive in Krakow, way too complicated, with little streets etc.
Oh my word, isn't the internet a wonderful thing! Thanks for the cellphone number Paul, that will be in mine soon.

By the way I have just been reminded that we actually drive on the left here, so you can see where my head is at the moment. Better sticking to the cabbie whilst in Poland :)

Thanks again, I really appreciate all the info.

Take care,

Mags x
Jaguar
Family Member

Post by Jaguar »

Auschwitz is incredibly powerful. There are no words to explain the experience, it's a very personal thing and I suspect that most of us respond to different triggers - the thing is it is a non-stop assault on all of your senses and everything you know about the holocaust.

You really should use one of their guide/interpreters, they are excellent and take groups through the camps (Auschwitz and Birkenau).

Be forewarned - the camps are as is - they are NOT wheelchair friendly, although you can get a bumpy ride around outside the buidings (trust me that is good too) But going inside is difficult as their are no ramps.

I would not be surprised if there are special guided tour options, but I didn't see any.

Greg the cabbie brought us to his house on the way back, and to a little Polish restaurant - nothing special, but definitely authentic!
mags4short
Family Elder

Post by mags4short »

Jaguar wrote:Auschwitz is incredibly powerful. There are no words to explain the experience, it's a very personal thing and I suspect that most of us respond to different triggers - the thing is it is a non-stop assault on all of your senses and everything you know about the holocaust.

You really should use one of their guide/interpreters, they are excellent and take groups through the camps (Auschwitz and Birkenau).

Be forewarned - the camps are as is - they are NOT wheelchair friendly, although you can get a bumpy ride around outside the buidings (trust me that is good too) But going inside is difficult as their are no ramps.

I would not be surprised if there are special guided tour options, but I didn't see any.

Greg the cabbie brought us to his house on the way back, and to a little Polish restaurant - nothing special, but definitely authentic!
Thanks again Paul,

I really do appreciate all the info. I was feeling apprehensive about everything, now I have an idea of what to expect, where to go and how to get help. This has settled my nerves down a little :)

Now all I need is to pack my suitcase ;)

Take care,

Mags x

Return to “Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency (CCSVI)”