Restenosis Is A Natural Control

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.
NoDrainer
Getting to Know You...

Restenosis Is A Natural Control

Post by NoDrainer »

Brilliant insight by Frodo:

"Restenosis is a natural control. Angioplasty trials can use the restenosis cases like controls and a controlled human trial is always more reliable than an animal model."

The on-off switch for venous insufficiency. It's a no drainer.
Cece
Family Elder

Post by Cece »

I think you and Frodo are right...particularly if the determination of restenosis is done blindly or double-blindly...otherwise you have the risk of not being able to trust that the determination of restenosis isn't influenced by the fact that the person has relapsed.

Honestly none of this should be hard to prove or disprove.

I know research cannot be instantaneous, but to whatever extent that this is not fast-tracked, there are people whose lives are going to be affected forever...if whatever relapse or steady decline comes as we wait...it's tragedy in the midst of joyous discovery.
"However, the truth in science ultimately emerges, although sometimes it takes a very long time," Arthur Silverstein, Autoimmunity: A History of the Early Struggle for Recognition
LR1234
Family Elder

Post by LR1234 »

Thats what Dr Simka is doing I think. After my procedure I contacted him as I thought I might have some issues again and he wrote me down as a "control" visit.
frodo
Family Elder

Post by frodo »

LR1234 wrote:Thats what Dr Simka is doing I think. After my procedure I contacted him as I thought I might have some issues again and he wrote me down as a "control" visit.
I think in this case he just means that he is controlling you. As far as I know he has never shaped his procedures as a clinical trial.

But there are doctors reading this forum that could conduct clinical trials. Let's hope that one of them thinks the idea is worth trying, though it is not clear how the medical community will consider this special controls.

By the way, thanks NoDrainer for posting it as a separate thread.
NoDrainer
Getting to Know You...

Post by NoDrainer »

Cece: Yes, a steady humiliating decline via chronic venous stroke!!!

Frodo: A make-my-week magic moment of clarity there pawdner!
NoDrainer
Getting to Know You...

Post by NoDrainer »

edited: incorrect info.
Last edited by NoDrainer on Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
se1956
Family Member

Post by se1956 »

An example:

1st step: All get ballooning
2nd step: Every patient calculates his MSIS value every week
3rd step: Control checkup every 3 months (doppler/MRV?)

The patient doesn't know the results of the controls and the physician doesn't get the MSIS-values.

4th step: After 12 month, on unblinding, there should be a (time delayed) (cross)correlation between the MSIS values and the occurrence of restenosis.

R.
TFau
Family Elder

Post by TFau »

I think this is a brilliant idea! Has someone brought it up with Dr. Scalfani - since we seem to have his ear? I haven't checked that thread in a while.
frodo
Family Elder

Post by frodo »

TFau wrote:I think this is a brilliant idea! Has someone brought it up with Dr. Scalfani - since we seem to have his ear? I haven't checked that thread in a while.
I haven't. And as far as I know nobody has.
But his thread looks quite busy. If we post it now maybe he will not read it.
Maybe we can post it in his thread when questions calm down a little bit.
frodo
Family Elder

Post by frodo »

frodo wrote:
TFau wrote:I think this is a brilliant idea! Has someone brought it up with Dr. Scalfani - since we seem to have his ear? I haven't checked that thread in a while.
I will post it now. It seems that last messages for Dr. Scalfani are just thanking messages.
mlrm
Getting to Know You...

Post by mlrm »

Hi you guys:-)

I think that model looks great. In fact that is what those of us that need more than one procedure is already doing! There is no other choise for us than to go back again and get more checkups!

I'm from Denmark and am now planning to go to the 3rd country on my list to have the procedure done for the 2nd time. But first I had to make a stop in New York and Germany. My God I really get to see the world!

Read my website to hear my story:

http://www.123hjemmeside.dk/flowoflife

Marie Louise
Billmeik
Family Elder

Post by Billmeik »

ok so patients are frustrated because we are getting damaged while they look for proof. Is this where patients can help?

1.prove that restenosis occurs before an ms attack.

this seems obvious but if there was documentation on this it would be huge!
So somewhere someone has to get a doppler every day and show the veins close first before the ms.

that's all that would be enough.