blocked stent question - w a r n i n g !

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.
bas
Family Member

blocked stent question - w a r n i n g !

Post by bas »

Anybody around with a stent that has been blocked ?
Last edited by bas on Sun May 30, 2010 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
bas
Family Member

stent is for life

Post by bas »

Well as nobody reacted so far I may presume that my blocked stent is a unique case.
I have a 10 x 1cm Medtronic stent in my rh jugular and this week it has been found to be fully blocked by clotted blood.
Been there since late March and it worked fine untill about 14 days ago, when some nasty MS symptoms came back. Hopefuly the doctors will be able to work their way through it in about a weeks time from now.

Just a word of warning: a stent is a decision for life and can not just be taken away.

When stented you need a close follow up on your blood quality and get the right medication.

You need a close follow up by a preferbly local doctor who can check up on your flow on a regular basis during the first months of a stents life.

Remember the the guy we all believe in: Zamboni, does not believe in stents himself.

I will keep you posted on results (if any)
LR1234
Family Elder

Post by LR1234 »

Denise had a blocked stent and had to have the stent removed (was able to remove it as it was only in for 5 days at that point)
9gabbycats on you tube (she has made a video explaining what happened)
Shiraz4741

Regarding unblocking of veins

Post by Shiraz4741 »

Hello Bas,

Is the stent they inserted really blocked? How unfortunate for you!! :(

Where did you go to get the treatment? And where do you live?

I'm a norwegian girl, and I got the treatment in Poland 15. April. I wanted a stent, but couldn't have one.. My vein was unblocked by angioplasty ballooning, it opened up perfectly fine they said. My concern now is, is the vein still open? :?: And how will I know??

I'll be going back to check my vein 2. July. I still wanted a stent, but having read about you I'm not sure anymore..

Anybody else who have heard about blocked stents?

Is there a doctor in the area where you live who may unblock the stent? I really hope so!!

Best wishes,
Nina

bas
Family Member

Post by bas »

Nina, I live in Holland and treatment was done in Katowice. I still do not regret the action done but folow up could be better. Sort of local surgeon will try and unblock next week.
hwebb
Family Elder

not uncommon

Post by hwebb »

you may want to talk to Brainteaser. He had a stent inserted in Poland, and had a follow-up venogram in Australisa about 6 months later. I believe the IR in Australia ballooned the stent area as found the vein had started to restenose through the stent. It's possible my details are not accurate...so please send a message to Brainteaser (a frequent contributor to the Aussie Action thread).
sofia
Family Elder

Post by sofia »

It is a 1-2 % chance of occlusion (stent trombosis) in all vascular stents, and the chance is said to be a little higher with veines then arteries.
In case of stent trombosis it is not much they can do, but I have heard of angioplasty beeing performed on blocked stents.
Veines that has had angioplasty done, is likely to restenose, was it 50 or 80% or something after 8 months. With angioplasty only you are likely to need a second procedure.

I have a stent in azy. and ballooning performed on both jugulars. Bulgaria offers a check up 6 months later, and they will perform a new venogram if needed. I will be goig back in 6 months time. The price for second procedure is less, but I am not sure how much it is going to be.

Becuase of the stent I am on quite heavy medication with bloodthinners untill next procedure. My GP is monitoring my blood levels. I saw him on friday, and he was very impressed with the results of my procedure.
<div>I have lived with ms for 8 years. The last year has been hell, I've gone from shite to even worse every single month, until my liberation in May. </div>
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

bas were you on thinners this whole time? were you getting PT/INR tests regularly and this still came on?
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
bas
Family Member

Post by bas »

I had Fraxiparine for 7 days, Clopidogrel, 0,075 once a day as well as Aspirin 1,1

Had blood tests in Poland but no testing after that.

Should have more test once home I suppose, but was not advised to do so.
ikulo
Family Elder

Post by ikulo »

bas, thank you for sharing your situation. I certainly hope it all works out for you. Could you share some of your MS history so that we can begin to gain a better understanding of when such an event might occur? For example, how long have you had MS, were you taking DMDs/supplements, any special diet, etc...? Thanks for everything, and I wish you all the best!
bas
Family Member

Post by bas »

to complete the picture i am a 57 year old male ms since 1992 and wheelchair bound since 2008

did never take any of the crabdrugs and did not consume any meat sine 1980

had treatment poland end of march, azy ok both jugs fully blocked.

one succesfully opened/stented other jug failed

due for some repairs @ local vascular surgeon next week

try open stent and other jug
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

bas, you may want to read up on zinc and ms. with no meat in your diet you may well be dramatically suboptimal, with implications for your ms. i was, and taking zinc did make some noticeable changes not just to how i functioned from my own perspective, but how my liver functioned based on comparing vitamin d3 and uric acid bloodwork before and after correcting zinc problem. optimal zinc level appears to be in the 18umol/L neighbourhood according to a number of studies and one really good one that tested close to 2000 healthy controls [edit: i checked it's more like 1100 actually). at my lab when i first got tested the bottom end of their range was 11.5 i think? so that was considered normal. then my result came back 8.6. now the range ends at 8.6 so no-one will get a red flag on a zinc level until they get even worse off than i was, and i was bad. if you decide to look into it, don't let them tell you your zinc level is 'normal'. make sure you know the number!
i will see if i can find and bump some topics on zinc and MS, also zinc and CCSVI.
Last edited by jimmylegs on Mon May 31, 2010 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
LR1234
Family Elder

Post by LR1234 »

and B12:)
Cece
Family Elder

Post by Cece »

Wishing the best with getting this resolved. Please keep us updated, the warning is wise, we are all jumping in to this before the full risk profile has been figured out....
"However, the truth in science ultimately emerges, although sometimes it takes a very long time," Arthur Silverstein, Autoimmunity: A History of the Early Struggle for Recognition
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

yea b12 too but as long as bas is not a strict vegan the b12 could be okay, although lower than a meat-eater's. as a strict vegan at the time of dx, mine was NOT. the test was not sensitive enough to detect any b12 at all. bas i aim for serum b12 500 pmol/L or more.