AVM (similar to CCSVI)

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.
TMrox
Family Elder

Post by TMrox »

Arteriovenous Malformation Presenting as Transverse Myelitis: A Case Report
Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Volume 88, Issue 9, September 2007

A man with Transverse Myelitis (TM is a demyelination of the spinal cord only) presents another attack that is considered a relapsing TM. Docs asked for a spinal angiography finding an arteriovenous malformation, which was repaired surgically.

Docs said that before the surgery the patient had presented with multiple flairs of lower extremity weakness and varied neuro deficit. Following the surgical repair, the motor deficit remained stable although long-term prognosis for motor improvement was uncertain.
bluesky63
Family Elder

Post by bluesky63 »

I don't know if this is relevant or not but the symptoms of avm can be similar to the symptoms of venous angiomas. Some people here (me included) have venous angiomas in addition to other venous malformations. They are also considered a congenital defect. Interestingly, they can be common and are not generally treated unless they cause symptoms -- but they *are* a recognized congenital venous malformation that can cause symptoms and, when they do cause symptoms, merit serious consideration and treatment. (That reminds me a bit of some of the CCSVI statements.)

They are part of the whole drainage system.

There's a lot of info out there. Here is just one quick link.

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/338641-overview

I saw a venous expert who said mine was definitely playing a major role in some of most challenging symptoms and recommended a brain procedure that, to me, sounded worse than the symptoms. :-)