Faulty valve

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.

Faulty valve

Postby jamit » Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:20 pm

Novice as I am but here goes:

Can a faulty valve in a vein with stenosis be "repaired" by simply balooning the vein or does it always require additional repair?
jamit
Family Member

Advertisement

Don't know about "always"

Postby fiddler » Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:54 pm

In my case my faulty valve required a stent since ballooning didn't look like it was going to allow enough blood flow. I'm not sure what the usual case would be, but I suspect stents may normally be required to keep malfunctioning valves open.
...Ted
Dx SPMS in 2004.  Liberated 29/04/2010.
My blog: www.my-darn-ms.blogspot.com
fiddler
Family Elder

Postby Cece » Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:15 pm

I think it depends on what's wrong with the valve. But yes, doctors are treating valves with balloon angioplasty so I imagine it must be doing something!
"However, the truth in science ultimately emerges, although sometimes it takes a very long time," Arthur Silverstein, Autoimmunity: A History of the Early Struggle for Recognition
Cece
Family Elder

Postby jamit » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:02 pm

It sure is a lot more complicated than I thought when starting to read about ccsvi here a year ago and I certainly worry about the outcome, but I am in the same boat as many here, my quality of life is dwindling rapidly so it is still worth the risk to me.

I should think it is actually more complicated for us somewhat older folks as I assume like with anything else bodywise the veins get more and more screwed up with age even without ms.
jamit
Family Member

Postby 1eye » Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:04 pm

Maybe the valve was the only thing holding it open. Acting like a built-in stent? But when ballooned it weakened too much?
"Try - Just A Little Bit Harder" - Janis Joplin
CCSVI procedure Albany Aug 2010
'MS' is over - if you want it
Patients sans/without patience
1eye
Family Elder

Return to Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency (CCSVI)