Angioplasty of heart VS Angioplasty of Neck veins

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.
GuRu
Family Elder

Angioplasty of heart VS Angioplasty of Neck veins

Post by GuRu »

I have some Questions

Is angioplasty of Heart is 100% safe???
Is there no risk of heart angioplasty???
Have any one data about deaths, because of heart angioplasty????
We must learn our limits. We are all something, but none of us are everything.
GuRu
RRMS Dx 07/09
BooBear
Family Elder

Post by BooBear »

Of the arteries, right?

I don't have the data, Guru, but nothing is 100%. I am sure that complications could arise there as well.
Three veins angioplastied.  One renewed life.  
GuRu
Family Elder

Post by GuRu »

BooBear wrote:Of the arteries, right?

I don't have the data, Guru, but nothing is 100%. I am sure that complications could arise there as well.
Right.

There could be arise complications during heart angioplasty and, its not sure that patient will get better. But its allowed and they are doing every day.
I am not a doc. but I am sure Neck veins angioplasty have less risks than heart arteries. Why they need long time to research??? Why we must wait?? Are they waiting for more 10 to 20 thousand people, bound on wheel chairs
We must learn our limits. We are all something, but none of us are everything.
GuRu
RRMS Dx 07/09
BooBear
Family Elder

Post by BooBear »

I don't know if the risk is higher or lower, to be honest.

There are cases of vein irritation, re-stenosis, and other complications.

But I still support your view. There are also complications and risks with the DMDs, steroid infusions, chemo, Tysabri, and everything else we have to "treat" us today. Surely the risk can't be any higher.
Three veins angioplastied.  One renewed life.  
Cece
Family Elder

Post by Cece »

With heart angioplasty, if a clot or something comes loose, it heads straight to the brain and can cause a stroke. With venoplasty, that risk is not there, since the direction of the flow is back to the heart.

It's hard to compare risks of the two procedures directly because angioplasty is high pressure, venoplasty is low pressure, and heart patients receiving angioplasty are generally in poorer overall health.
"However, the truth in science ultimately emerges, although sometimes it takes a very long time," Arthur Silverstein, Autoimmunity: A History of the Early Struggle for Recognition
concerned

Post by concerned »

Angioplasty is not 100% safe. It is an overused, under-effective, and dangerous procedure that cardiologists say you need because you're "sitting on a ticking time bomb."

I think the death rate is from 0.43%-2%.
Last edited by concerned on Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shye
Family Elder

Post by shye »

GuRu says
I am not a doc. but I am sure Neck veins angioplasty have less risks than heart arteries
I think this is incorrect--veins are weaker, thinner skinned--I think much more a chance of irreperable damage if damaged in venoplasty--and are much harder to replace surgically.
mshusband
Family Elder

Post by mshusband »

I'll play concerned. Yes the death risk might be 0.43% - 2.0% ...

BUT

What are most people getting angioplasty for? TRAUMA? HEART ATTACKS? STROKE? SO are they dying from angioplasty or the other things? MOST LIKELY THE OTHER THINGS ... you're right though ... all angioplasty should stop until more studies are done to see why people are dying from it and if it is helping people with heart attack/stroke/trauma. It might be hurting them as much as it could hurt persons with MS! :roll:

People going in with CCSVI and getting angioplasty ... the risk of death so far is 0% ... has anyone heard of anyone with CCSVI dying due to angioplasty? OK THERE YOU GO - LIKE I SAID ... 0%.
concerned

Post by concerned »

[comment retracted]

where angioplasty is overused is in vonluntary cases where it doesn't do much more than relieve angina pain. No life extensions. I think diet and exercise would be much more effective.
Last edited by concerned on Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mshusband
Family Elder

Post by mshusband »

I DEMAND YOU RETRACT YOUR POST CONCERNED.

I said ANGIOPLASTY ... NOT STENTS ... ANGIOPLASTY.

OPEN-HEART SURGERY WAS NOT AS A RESULT OF ANGIOPLASTY.
concerned

Post by concerned »

Yeah sorry, my brain is really fried the past couple of days. Anyway are you saying then that there's no risk of iatrogenic stenosis in angioplasty?
mshusband
Family Elder

Post by mshusband »

I'm not saying there's no risk ... but I just want to get the message out there that so far the percent of death due to angioplasty in regards to CCSVI is currently 0% ... do it on a million people and yeah, likely someone will tragically die ... but so far it's 0%.

Everyone sees this MISINFORMATION - and I don't want it to spread. We all know about 3 accidents so far in regards to CCSVI treatment ... the death, the heart surgery and Rici ... but each can be explained and is not related to angioplasty.

You have to kill this MISINFORMATION first ... then once people know the facts they can learn more.
Cece
Family Elder

Post by Cece »

mshusband, I agree...I feel comfortable enough with the risk profile (what we know of it) of CCSVI venoplasty that I'm willing to undergo it...to me this is so much talk (and I'm right there talking too) when we really just need the answers that are going to come out of safety trials...such as, oh what was his name again, Dr. Scaafini, Dr. Scalllani, it'll come to me...:)...if his 200 person patient study gets underway, he says he'll post transparently on his website as he goes, we'll have some substance to claims that this is safe. Even if there are risks, like Tysabri has risks, it may still be made available...it's a matter of knowing what the risks are, not a need to find that there are no risks.
"However, the truth in science ultimately emerges, although sometimes it takes a very long time," Arthur Silverstein, Autoimmunity: A History of the Early Struggle for Recognition
concerned

Post by concerned »

Well everyone is also seeing this MISINFORMATION that it is a FACT that CCSVI is the CAUSE of MS and that "Liberation" treatment will stop disease progression or do anything at all for that matter except maybe scaring up a persons jugular. These claims are not facts, and when even the doctors who are doing the treatments disagree with the CCSVI internet gospel, you say the doctors whose theory you're pushing have it wrong. (See Simka's letter)
patientx
Family Elder

Post by patientx »

mshusband wrote:We all know about 3 accidents so far in regards to CCSVI treatment ... the death, the heart surgery and Rici ... but each can be explained and is not related to angioplasty.
How do you know for sure the first wasn't related to angioplasty? And how can you say the 3rd wasn't related to angioplasty, when that is all Rici had done?
People going in with CCSVI and getting angioplasty ... the risk of death so far is 0% ... has anyone heard of anyone with CCSVI dying due to angioplasty? OK THERE YOU GO - LIKE I SAID ... 0%.
Interesting - when it suits people, they will use arterial angioplasty as a comparison for venoplasty. Otherwise, angioplasty to correct CCSVI is separated out.