Aspirin for MS study at Mayo Clinic?

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.
Nunzio
Family Elder

Post by Nunzio »

belsadie wrote:I believe aspirin's anticoagulant properties come from its effect on an enzyme that causes the platelets to clump together[forming a clot] I think Aspirin can be advised whenever a 'foreign object' , like an artificial heart valve, hip prosthetic, stent, etc. to avoid clotting . I don't think viscosity,per se, is effected. ASA is not to be taken if any other anticoagulant therapy is administered,, unless ordered that way. Bleeding can be a side effect of that due to the bloods inability to effectively, plug up[clot] any areas of possible leakage into surrounding interstitial spaces [in a timely fashion].
Anticoags slow the clotting time. :?: :?: :?: :?
I agree with you; aspirin doesn't affect how thick or thin the blood is. In the above Margarita example the only thing aspirin would do is to help with the hang-over after having too much margarita. :P
Aspirin helps preventing clots against foreign bodies as stents or a disrupted vascular endothelium as from balloon angioplasty or against atherosclerotic plaques. In addition the anticlotting dose is 81 mg./day or less. So if AlmostClever want to test his theory he should take 81 mg enteric coated aspirin for a week and see if he gets the same beneficial effects. Higher dose will induce antiinflammatory effects. Of course if that dose makes anybody feel better then they should continue with it keeping in mind the small risk of internal bleeding.
Everybody here brings happiness, somebody by coming,others by leaving.  PPMS since 2000<br />
AlmostClever
Family Elder

Post by AlmostClever »

Nunzio wrote: I agree with you; aspirin doesn't affect how thick or thin the blood is. In the above Margarita example the only thing aspirin would do is to help with the hang-over after having too much margarita. :P
Aspirin helps preventing clots against foreign bodies as stents or a disrupted vascular endothelium as from balloon angioplasty or against atherosclerotic plaques. In addition the anticlotting dose is 81 mg./day or less. So if AlmostClever want to test his theory he should take 81 mg enteric coated aspirin for a week and see if he gets the same beneficial effects. Higher dose will induce antiinflammatory effects. Of course if that dose makes anybody feel better then they should continue with it keeping in mind the small risk of internal bleeding.
:D Learn something new everyday here! Good info, Thanks!

A/C
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Al Einstein
malden

Post by malden »

AlmostClever wrote: ...Also, I took 500mg aspirin yesterday morning and another today.

I noticed significant improvement when driving in my right leg when pushing the pedals, switching back and forth. I even walked a little more than usual, and over grass which I try not to do because of the unstable footing.
http://www.thisisms.com/ftopicp-116247.html#116247

... last month I started with Aspirin 500 mg 2x per day, 5 days, then reduce it to 1 per day, 10 days, and now I am on 200 mg per day.

Suprisingly, I feel better (less morning fatigue, less sluggishness, able to focus on work, more stable on legs, less stagering...)

Btw, I didnt take any medications before this Aspirin cure.

Best regards,

M.
sbr487
Family Elder

Post by sbr487 »

Malden wrote:
AlmostClever wrote: ...Also, I took 500mg aspirin yesterday morning and another today.

I noticed significant improvement when driving in my right leg when pushing the pedals, switching back and forth. I even walked a little more than usual, and over grass which I try not to do because of the unstable footing.
http://www.thisisms.com/ftopicp-116247.html#116247

... last month I started with Aspirin 500 mg 2x per day, 5 days, then reduce it to 1 per day, 10 days, and now I am on 200 mg per day.

Suprisingly, I feel better (less morning fatigue, less sluggishness, able to focus on work, more stable on legs, less stagering...)

Btw, I didnt take any medications before this Aspirin cure.

Best regards,

M.
Malden, thats a very useful info. I too have never ventured on MS medicines. I am only on diet and LDN and I can say for sure that these have helped. Maybe I will take aspirin for a week and see if things are better than what they are now.

BTW, I have lot of stomach issues (due to acid reflux). Did you have any issues due to aspirin?
malden

Post by malden »

sbr487 wrote:...BTW, I have lot of stomach issues (due to acid reflux). Did you have any issues due to aspirin?
http://www.thisisms.com/ftopicp-116452.html#116452

There are many different dosage forms for aspirin (acetylsalicylic acid) products:
BRAND NAMES: Aspirin, Andol, Arthritis Foundation Safety Coated Aspirin, Bayer Aspirin, Bayer Children's Aspirin, Ecotrin, Ascriptin, Bufferin, Cama, Easprin, Empirin and many others.

Some have special coatings or contain buffers and some are long acting.

Ask your doctor or pharmacist for recommendations on the best product for you.

I am now on one of them, 300mg acetylsalicylic acid with buffer, per day.

Best regards,

M.