Letter writing campaign for Barb Farrell - VICTORY

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.
eveable
Family Member

Post by eveable »

I think we should email or call Deb Mathews. the Health Minister of Ontario and Dalton McGuinty, the Premier of Ontario.

You can reach Dalton at http://www.ontario.ca/premier (there is a contact Dalton at that site) and fax him at
(416) 325-3745
TTY/Teletypewriter:
1-800-387-5559

You can contact Deb Mathews at ccu.moh@ontario.ca or you can call the Minister's office at 416-327-4300.

It is Ontario that is stopping this.
Vhoenecke
Family Elder

Post by Vhoenecke »

What a saint Patrick is for helping the hospital when they didn't help him. He is in my prayers.

Val
Cece
Family Elder

Post by Cece »

I read through some of the context on the Facebook page. There was a plan forming to have a sit-in at the hospital that Mr. Farrell specifically opposed. I don't think he is objecting to our continued campaign on his behalf to the politicians themselves. But I do want to wait until he speaks again on the matter. My heart goes out to him and his family.

Thanks eveable for the the contact info on Deb Mathews and Dalton McGuinty.

edited to add: although I agree 100% on canceling it per Mr. Farrell's adamant wishes, I am impressed with the idea of a sit-in....
Last edited by Cece on Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"However, the truth in science ultimately emerges, although sometimes it takes a very long time," Arthur Silverstein, Autoimmunity: A History of the Early Struggle for Recognition
eveable
Family Member

MS

Post by eveable »

It is funny, I am not reminded that I have MS untill I post on this site. Actually after, when I read my post and see the mistakes, then I remember I have MS. I know I am lucky but I did make my husband promise me tonight that if I get worse and cannot get out of this country, he will get me out and get me the procedure. I am on the list for Albany so hopefully I will beat the getting worse and being in Barb Farrells situation.
I have 3 people in my MS group, one in particular, who are in danger of getting to that spot.
A pox on politicians and assorted money makers who really do not care if we die.
I am going to the Toronto meeting on July 2nd. A lawsuit is just what Dalton needs.
eveable
Family Member

Procedure denied for Barb Farrell

Post by eveable »

Cece
Family Elder

Post by Cece »

Barb Farrell is waiting, almost against hope, for someone, the right one, to change their mind.
I am still not clear on who that someone is...is it Deb Mathews?

Also from the article is the hospital's side of it:
Dr. Russell Price, interim chief of staff at RVH, said those at the hospital have carefully deliberated over the issue of treatment for patients with multiple sclerosis during the past three days.

Meetings with the hospital's ethics and medical advisory committees took place Wednesday.

"The recommendation was we would not provide this procedure to MS patients in the absence of research," he said. "It's not even being provided anywhere in Canada."
Apparently Dr. Hubbard has reached out and provided assistance (to Sandy MacDonald? or someone else? I'm not clear...) on how he wrote his proposal that has passed irb. So maybe that will be the answer? Could they get a pilot study launched and do this treatment then?
eveable wrote:I have 3 people in my MS group, one in particular, who are in danger of getting to that spot.
This is awful to hear...can anything be done?
"However, the truth in science ultimately emerges, although sometimes it takes a very long time," Arthur Silverstein, Autoimmunity: A History of the Early Struggle for Recognition
eveable
Family Member

RVH

Post by eveable »

Hi Cece, That statement by the hospital
"The recommendation was we would not provide this procedure to MS patients in the absence of research," he said. "It's not even being provided anywhere in Canada.".
was so annoying.
Russel Price is talking like if you allow one person to have this, the floodgates will open and we don't do that in Canada.

As to the people with MS in my group, one is no longer coming to meetings, yoga or swimming, no longer answers the phone or emails. Very hard to communicate with her. The other two attend sometimes and are aware of what is going on. They will have to leave the country to have the operation. We have a meeting coming up July 2nd about this.
pegmegrund
Family Elder

Post by pegmegrund »

Great News!

Patrick just posted on a fb page that Barb will receive treatment in 4 days!

http://www.thebarrieexaminer.com/Articl ... ?e=2630382

:D :D :D
bestadmom
Family Elder

Post by bestadmom »

This is fantastic news! There are angels among us.
Algis
Family Elder

Post by Algis »

YES!! :!: :!: :!:
HappyPoet
Family Elder

Post by HappyPoet »

My heart is filled with JOY for them.
Godspeed.
ErikaSlovakia
Family Elder

Post by ErikaSlovakia »

pegmegrund wrote:Great News!

Patrick just posted on a fb page that Barb will receive treatment in 4 days!

http://www.thebarrieexaminer.com/Articl ... ?e=2630382

:D :D :D
Wow, that is GREAT! :)
Erika
Aug. 7, 09 Doppler Ultras. in Poland, left Jugul. valve problem, RRMS since 1996, now SPMS,
- Nov.3,09: one stent in the left jug. vein in Katowice, Poland, LDN, never on DMDs
- Jan. 19, 11: control venography in Katowice - negative but I feel worse
SoberSandy
Family Member

Post by SoberSandy »

I am soooooo please for them. I wish them all the best.
Cece
Family Elder

Post by Cece »

What was that quote again? Never doubt that a small group of like-minded individuals can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has?

Barb Farrell has succeeded in her quest for treatment. I am marking this first letter-writing campaign closed in victory...and I am smiling today!!
mangio
Family Elder

Post by mangio »

Indeed SAINT CECE.