Cece wrote:Dr.Sclafani's study treatment plan calls for reballooning after the first incidence of restenosis and, if there is a second incidence of restenosis, they fall out of protocol but his plan then would be to do stents.
I believe in Dr. Zamboni's research that the people who did restenosis and had a subsequent second ballooning, the second ballooning held up very well. I am not sure where I got that info, though; I read it here somewhere, anyone else able to confirm or prove wrong?
drsclafani wrote:Donnchadh wrote:Dr. Sclafani:
When you resume the liberation procedure (note I am being positive here and saying WHEN and not IF ) will your IRB allow the use of stents or are you going to continue not using them?
Judging from the narratives of patients, the decision whether or not to use a stent seems to be quite a tough call. I would consider "conservative practice" to do a balloon procedure first, hoping that would be sufficient to solve the problem. While that would clearly be the best outcome, the high rate of re-stenosis would seem that sometimes something more was needed, like a stent in those cases.
I would like to add my thanks to the others for giving us your time and expertise in answering these questions.
WHEN the IRB approves my proposal, I will post it on my website and will move transparently and let the chips fall where they may.
my proposal calls for reangioplasty for the first episode of restenosis and consider a stent for a subsequent restenosis. AT that time the patient falls out of protocol.
Thus i should start writing my next protocol now for submission to the IRB
Donnchadh wrote:The website for Community Care in Albany New York states that their IR will do the CCSVI liberation procedure. I called their number and received a call-back about a week later. The caller wanted basic information and insurance details. Said that I will receive a doctor call in about 3 more weeks.
Questions: Has anyone actually been treated there yet?
What is the waiting time for being treated?
Has anyone had stents implanted there?
If treated, were you satisfied with their care?
I am in a dilemma in that I found a local IR who will do a venogram on 21 June, and based on those findings might do a balloon procedure. Doing stents isn't an option, as he wants to start over.
I already had one balloon procedure from a different doctor, which resulted in dramatic symptom improvements but my veins re-stenosis. Perhaps a second balloon procedure will do the trick and stay open, but who knows? I could then face undergoing a third procedure but this time with stents.
How does a doctor know when ballooning isn't sufficent and stents are the very choice left?
laura383 wrote:I called in early May, received a call 2 weeks later verifying basic information, was told a Dr would call in 2 weeks and never heard back again.
HFogerty wrote:naychergirl: May I ask, are you scheduled for treatment or testing?
Trish317 wrote:naychergirl wrote:Hi All!
I am scheduled for Oct.8th and my insurance is covering it! Yay!
Sending you prayers and good thoughts for wonderful results!
Users browsing this forum: No registered users