Blood Flow

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.
LR1234
Family Elder

Blood Flow

Post by LR1234 »

Hi All,
I found this recent document on blood Flow and was wondering if any of you brainy people could work out whether this could be something that would help us MSers.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 165125.htm

"If we could free MEF2 from HDAC5 with a drug, we could mimic flow force to enhance KLF2 and eNOS expression and reverse inflammation in vessel walls," Jin said. "That promises to be extremely useful, and potentially to stave off disease underway in the blood vessels of humans."

Squiffy posted a thread called: Pyruvate Kinase - key to MS remission during pregnancy? Does this tie in with this article?

I know its a very dull, medical post but I am interested to see if it could open up methods of treatment. Unfortunatly my small brain doesn't understand enough about NO, endothelium, blood flow and enzymes that effect the vessels but I am sure some of you could work it out!!!
Cece
Family Elder

Post by Cece »

It's looking at the right thing -- blood flow -- which is what ccsvi is all about.

The slower blood flow in ccsvi loosens the tightness of the endothelium and allows the leakage of blood across the blood brain barrier. So some drug that can mimic the effects of quick blood flow in its absence could certainly be of use in surgically-untreated ccsvi.

This could lead to a future solution for the current unsolvable cases of ccsvi (missing jugular, etc) but it seems to me that surgical treatment is a much more direct and healthy solution.

The article also assumed that when we were talking about blood flow in vessels, we were talking about arteries. There are such differences between high-flow arteries and low-flow veins, it's not always a one-to-one carryover to apply the science of one to the other.

Interesting find! Hopefully someone else will come along and take a better crack at it, I am feeling a little foggy today.
"However, the truth in science ultimately emerges, although sometimes it takes a very long time," Arthur Silverstein, Autoimmunity: A History of the Early Struggle for Recognition
LR1234
Family Elder

Post by LR1234 »

Thanks so much for the reply Cece.

I agree CCsvi procedure should always be the first treatment and then drugs that improve blood flow to maintain the veins and maybe to prevent restenosis (in non-congenital cases) could be taken.

We need Pharmas to look into re-myelination and blood flow now (forget DMD's).
cheerleader
Family Elder

Post by cheerleader »

Hey L--

Scientists are unlocking the mystery of how nitric oxide distribution and the endothelial lining of blood vessels maintains healthy coagulation, vasodilation and immune system. Thanks for that research. Yes, there will be chemical solutions found to improve blood flow, but the endothelial health paper I wrote in '08 has stuff in it that will improve blood flow without a prescription, including exercise, vitamin D, proteolytic enzymes, laughter, fruits and vegetables, less saturated fat and glucose, mitigating toxins and stress reduction.
Here's the paper-
http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=123456602210

There's a wonderful piece in the NY Times Magazine section today on how scientists are finally unravelling the mystery of why exercise is good for us, using molecular mass spectrometers.

a workout for your bloodstream
What does exercise do to your body? It may seem as if science, medicine and common sense answered that question long ago. But in fact, the precise mechanisms by which exercise alters your body — at a deep, molecular level — remain poorly understood. A number of analyses of the effect that exercise has on heart disease, for instance, have concluded that working out lessens a person’s chances of developing heart problems far more than scientists can account for. They understand the physiological reasons for about 60 percent of the reduced risk. The rest is a mysterious if welcome bonus.

But a new study that gauged the metabolic effects of exercise may significantly advance our understanding of what’s going on inside a body in motion. During the experiment, scientists actually saw how much being fit changes your ability to incinerate fat, moderate blood sugar and otherwise function well. They also uncovered proof, at once inspiring and cautionary, of just how complicated and pervasive exercise’s consequences are.
cheer
Husband dx RRMS 3/07
dx dual jugular vein stenosis (CCSVI) 4/09
http://ccsviinms.blogspot.com
LR1234
Family Elder

Post by LR1234 »

Thanks Cheer:)

I am starting to think my vertigo relapse was me ridding myself of toxins too quick (I was doing DMSA and anti candida program). (or it could have been chiro, hard to tell) either way since taking a good multi the proteolytic enzymes, high dose Vit D3, low saturated fat and no sugar I feel well again. I hope it continues!!
shye
Family Elder

Post by shye »

LR1234
How much DMSA do you take? How long with it? What are any effects you notice from taking it? Why this and not EDTA?
thanks
LR1234
Family Elder

Post by LR1234 »

I will PM you Shye x