Dr. Sclafani's Italy Presentation

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.
MrSuccess
Family Elder

Post by MrSuccess »

just took the time to listen to Dr. S's presentation .

I thought Dr. S was incredible. I could hear not one hint of any self importance in his presentation . In fact .... he sounds like THEGREEK describes . 8)

The presentation is well done . Informative and helpful .

Whomever described Dr. S's use of the word - desperate - as demeaning to pwMS ..... needs to listen to the presentation again ...

As I detected no such tone . :twisted:

Good work Dr. S

Thanks to whomever ...... for providing the YouTube link

Salute

Mr. Success
Vivianne766
Family Elder

Post by Vivianne766 »

.... oh boy !
......Aaaanyyway, I hope he gets back in the game somehow and starts treating people. I watched a u tube video once and he spoke quite highly of members of this forum and MS patients in general.
whyRwehere
Family Elder

Post by whyRwehere »

<comment removed by moderator>
Cece
Family Elder

Post by Cece »

MrSuccess wrote:Whomever described Dr. S's use of the word - desperate - as demeaning to pwMS ..... needs to listen to the presentation again ...
That was me and I was trying to walk a fine line...I've objected to the word 'desperate' used in nearly every one of the negative journal and media reports...it is there that I see it as demeaning, I think when DrS speaks about our desperation, it is much more with an understanding of the pain and urgency of our situation...not the way the editorials are using the word, to demean us by saying, they're desperate, they'd believe anything.

But I might listen to the presentation again anyway. :)

Also I mentioned rocks: if Dr. Sclafani were a rock he'd be a DIAMOND.
"However, the truth in science ultimately emerges, although sometimes it takes a very long time," Arthur Silverstein, Autoimmunity: A History of the Early Struggle for Recognition
fernando
Family Elder

Post by fernando »

I can downlod it but the file is only 4K in size. Any ideas?
L
Family Elder

Post by L »

fernando wrote:I can downlod it but the file is only 4K in size. Any ideas?
It's 4.3MB. Try right clicking on the link and choose 'save as' or something similar in your browser? Have you a 2nd browser to try?

You can actually hear it on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOK82ek5T1g
HappyPoet
Family Elder

Post by HappyPoet »

WhyRwehere,

All I know for certain is that Dr. Sclafani would reply to your posts with class, empathy, compassion, understanding and kindness, not with rudeness or personal attacks.

~HP
Rokkit
Family Elder

Post by Rokkit »

From where I sit, Dr. S is the only doc who doesn't think it's beneath him to interact with a bunch of patients in a public forum.
welshman
Family Elder

Post by welshman »

Just downloaded and listened to the presentation - thank you for providing it to us. I've never actually read of Dr S's thread, but after hearing him, I think I really must. Sorry "whyR" but I have to disagree completely with you on the presentation, and I wish there were more Doctors like him out there who believe in this treatment and who can carry it out if only allowed to do so. No disrespect "whyR" , but Dr S seems to know why "he is here".
bestadmom
Family Elder

Re: dr s

Post by bestadmom »

THEGREEKFROMTHED wrote:
whyRwehere wrote:<comment removed by moderator>
BELIEVE ME....I appreciate your opinion of which you are entitled; However, I have had the opportunity to be treated by Dr Sclafani. Prior to treating arteries and veins(38 years ) he and his partner were like "Batman and Robin" in the ER, and regularly brought people back from the dead. He is highly respected at the Hospital, highly regarded, really a regular guy to sit and talk to. Kings County is in Brooklyn for crying out loud. Not the neighborhood your kids are playing in the streets. He has to have tough skin for what he does. He was getting ready to hang up the instruments when he found out about this theory of CCSVI. It is like a breath of fresh air for him and he is genuinely intent on learning as much as he can to further this for us sufferers. (I.E. Italy trip, IRB application, etc) His bedside manner is overwhelmingly that of comfort. When you are on the table you can feel the confidence he exudes. Hate to tell you but the truth of the matter is there is a lot of people that talk out of their ass on this forum without factual substance. He is extremely knowledgeable in his field. You can't take that away from him. Believe me he doesn't need me to defend him because I really don't know shit about shinola, but if you get the chance to get treated, pray he is the one doing it this I know....
Why,

I am Dr. S's first patient - he thougt I was brave, I told him I was desperate. I know him since October.

This is a man who has dedicated his career and life to Brooklyn. Most people who grow up there aspire to leave it. Dr. S has treated the indigent at a NYC hospital for 35 years. He posts at 3am because he just saved the life of someone with a gunshot wound. There's no glamour and no expense account. Dr. S is the salt of the earth.

The scientific discussions led by Cheer and Marie and many others here are long gone. The explosion of tims members has brought lots of people who do not understand basic anatomy. Dr. S has taught us that and much more. He is a kind, warm, passionate man, and a doctor and teacher. He's given himself to us freely. His enthusiasm is infectious and he's shared his disappointments and darkest feelings with us too.

Dr. S has given me, and everyone here a wonderful gift of himself and has asked for nothing in return. It's too bad that you haven't felt that.
whyRwehere
Family Elder

Post by whyRwehere »

He definitely shares his thoughts with us.
drsclafani
Family Elder

Post by drsclafani »

Some questions i have fielded:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:43 am Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Is a CT venogram the same as a venogram?

2. How much contrast dye (gadolinium?) is used? Where exactly is the dye released?

3. Does the venogram catheter always, sometimes or never go into the brain?

i am very sorry if i have insulted you or anyone else. in truth, the reason i actually joined the forum was because of such misunderstandings, and discussions about arteries and veins, the risks of the procedure, etc.

i feel shamed to be seen as someone full of himself. i have tried to bring reason, a point of view, some humor and encouragement along the way.

Chalk it up to style. i believe my heart is in the right place
drsclafani
Family Elder

Post by drsclafani »

you guessed correctly.
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Re: Dr. Sclafani's Italy Presentation

Post by CureOrBust »

NHE wrote:That was the entire presentation. Unless, of course, you happen to speak Italian.
Ahhhh.. Sorry... :oops: I thought by "editing" you simply cut out his part, then when I saw his part was in English, I thought the rest of the presentations by Zasmboni etc were also in english, my boo boo.

Thank you for the work you actually did do to remove the italian sections.
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Post by CureOrBust »

WhyrWehere, I can understand/accept your views, but I personally found them to put a smile on my face. Please understand, I am not trying to belittle your view/impression, its just that I get a different feel, but I do understand you have no animosity behind them, just an honest expression of a feeling you have, and understand, is only acquired through the net and the odd interview/video; just as we have acquired ours. I personally am glad you felt comfortable to share this thought, then again, it wasn't me who it was about 8)

And don't worry DR Sclafani, I am sure you can tell by the bulk of other posters you are not generally seen the same way as WhRwehere see's you. I personally was thought to be a girl because I had "Bust" in my user name.

Return to “Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency (CCSVI)”